Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #2896

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
No minority complex here, just the need to quit the Vf from the eye to reach certains controls when they are placed too close to the VF.... not the end of the world but very inconvenient when these are important controls like the green button or the AF one. (Just use a Pentax for a certain length of time and you'll see that the green button is an addictive little thing...)

BTW I use Canon since last year (5D) and size has nothing to do with it: the little joystick for choosing AF points falls in the "not really usable for me" category on the 5D... which is not known to be a small camera.

All other controls are fine, and even though the level of customization and user-friendliness of my Pentax is way better, I am a big fan of the large rear control wheel compared to the one on Pentax just because I have less problems using it.
Being an 'outsider' I am unaware of what joys of this addictive little green button. Please do fill me in

Ya... my only mild hesitation on any part is my large attachment to the wheel on the back of the 30D, IMO far superior to several buttons.

05-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #2897
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lore Quote
Being an 'outsider' I am unaware of what joys of this addictive little green button. Please do fill me in

Ya... my only mild hesitation on any part is my large attachment to the wheel on the back of the 30D, IMO far superior to several buttons.
That lil green button when used in any mode setting the camera to "DUMB" beginners program settings according to what the meter sees. IE when your in manual and your lost just hit it and the camera auto sets exposure settings to give you a "generally" good exposure.
05-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #2898
Veteran Member

LOTS of little neat things that green button can do
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #2899
and
Veteran Member

wr kit lens, better wr in body...

Where is the WR 540 flash???

05-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #2900
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Here's a good link describing the Green Button's virtues from an outsider's perspective. The '*' button referred to in the hyper manual and hyper program modes is the same as the green button.

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/2009/04/25/the-best-camera-in-the-world/

And here's a useful post on this forum that lists some of the Green Button's uses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
05-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #2901
Inactive Account

I agree. I do not own a Canon camera but every time I get the chance to use one I'm always saying to myself how much I love that wheel. Reminds of an Ipod in a way
05-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #2902

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Actually, it is. Most of the complaints have been that the built-in grip would be too short--pinky hanging off the bottom of the camera instead of on the grip. So adding the optional grip at the bottom would fix that. Now complaints about the camera being too narrow... can't do much about that.
True, there have been a couple of people who have stated that was their issue, but it's far from everyone. Sometimes the body is just too small - myself and a couple of mates found this with Olympus bodies and to a lesser extent the Km, a grip wouldn't have solved the problem. Please note I'm not in anyway writing the K7 off as unusably small, the ergonomics may well prove an adequate counter to the diminuitive body size. I'm just slightly concerned about it, that's all. I'll reserve my final judgement until I can try it for myself.

05-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #2903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that we will see how K-7 to drop into sea and pull out during the presentation in Norway.

In Norway? Anywhere near me?

BTW I dropped my cellphone in the sea yesterday. It had disastrous effects!

I bought a new one today. The cheapest they had. It turned out to be pink! Maybe I should wait for the pink K-7?

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 05-15-2009 at 11:10 AM.
05-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #2904
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pal your mission, if you choose to accept it....................................................
05-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #2905
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
in program mode you can have the front and rear dials configured to change to either Av or Tv mode, the green button just brings you back to program mode.
05-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #2906
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
True, there have been a couple of people who have stated that was their issue, but it's far from everyone. Sometimes the body is just too small - myself and a couple of mates found this with Olympus bodies and to a lesser extent the Km, a grip wouldn't have solved the problem. Please note I'm not in anyway writing the K7 off as unusably small, the ergonomics may well prove an adequate counter to the diminuitive body size. I'm just slightly concerned about it, that's all. I'll reserve my final judgement until I can try it for myself.
True. Even a Canon 20D is borderline too small for me when using big-ish lenses (f2/.8 zooms, etc.), and that's quite a bit bigger than a K-m. If the K-7 is about the size of a K200D or smaller I can definitely see how some would have trouble with the size. Thankfully I plan to use it primarily (exclusively?) with DA Limited lenses, so distance from grip to lens mount won't be an issue for my use. I sympathize with those for whom it will be a problem though.
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #2907

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

I bought a new one today. The cheapest they had. It turned out to be pink! Maybe I should wait for the pink K-7?
No it should be near me !

Regarding your new phone, I was best man in a wedding a few weeks ago. My trusty old *white* SE T630i became very popular with their hired Mr Canon who shot the official pictures. It was used as a weight to keep the bride's wedding dress from moving in the wind. He noted it would be a lot more difficult to remove his bright orange phone in photoshop
05-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #2908

+1 for the Canon rear wheel. The single biggest thing I miss about switching from Canon.
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #2909

-1 for the Canon rear wheel. Maybe I just have really small hands (which I do, actually), but I've always found it awkward to use that wheel.
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #2910
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
-1 for the Canon rear wheel. Maybe I just have really small hands (which I do, actually), but I've always found it awkward to use that wheel.
I feel the same way. Between the K10D/K20D, Nikon D300 and Canon 40D, I find the Canon has by far the worst overall ergonomy.

Well, it *could* be a matter of habit, since the Nikon's control layout is somewhat similar to the Pentax's.