Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #3331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
I agree. K-7 is top-end camera.

K-30 should be the new middle-end camera replacement for K20D/K200D. Polycarbonate body, 14.6MP sensor, LV, video. Smaller form factor along the lines of the K-m / K-7.

This allows a very subtle marketing trick:
K-7 can be perceived to be of the 1-digit group of 1D/5D / D3 / E-3
K-30 can be perceived to be of the 2-digit group of 50D / D90, and above the 3-digit group of 350D, E-620, D700, A380
That and Pentax always did use the single digit for their top end eg, PZ-1p and MZ-3 ( oh I miss them both ). So the K30D will be "under" the K7 in some regards.

05-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #3332

QuoteOriginally posted by Lore Quote
I know for my own purposes I sized it up... I'm 100% certain that my 30D will be sold after I buy a K-7 for myself of course... I had to see what kind of size shock I am IN for I sized it up in photoshop, this does you all little good, & I only did this for myself but I'll put it up on here anyway, what I came up with in the difference in size between my 30D & the K-7

Nice comparison pictures
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #3333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Why do so many assume there will be a K20D replacement? K-7 in terms of specs aims at the market the K20D did and its replacement would--prosumer/pro APS-C. What could Pentax possibly put in a K20D replacement that would make it a higher end product than the K-7 (if leaked specs are true), and if they did that would it really be a K20D replacement or would it be a completely new line altogether? I just don't see any room for a K20D replacement. The K-7 really is it. I think they're scrapping the K10D/K20D line and going with the concept of smaller pro-spec APS-C body in the K-7 and its descendants.
Somewhere in this thread it tells that it between K200D and K20D so my assumption there is still a replacement. Anyway we can wait the final annoucement on the 20th of May 2009.
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #3334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wow, some people are so hard to satisfy.

We have a camera with new chassis, new body, new viewfinder, new exposure system, new improved and faster AF system, new ultrasonic dust removal system, new image processing CPU, new high res LCD, new Contrast AF with face detection, new HD movie mode, new 5fps, new HDR mode, new auto distortion and CA corrections, new HDMI out, new AA compatible battery grip....

I mean, sure, it just a "minor" upgrade, I suppose :ugh:
Geez.
didn't mean it to sound that way. its universally upgraded across the board, probably even the sensor, so it's not a "minor" upgrade. without a sense of scale, its just not showing how it's an entirely new concept.

for me, Lore's size relation mock-ups do a better job at describing what was really on Pentax's mind with this camera then the spec sheet does, although that is half the story.

Thank you Lore, that kind of nailed it home.

05-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #3335
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Somewhere in this thread it tells that it between K200D and K20D so my assumption there is still a replacement. Anyway we can wait the final annoucement on the 20th of May 2009.
The thing is:
* between K20D/K200D market segment ?
* scrap the K200D segment altogether and make a Lineup of three cameras K-m/K-?/K-7
05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #3336
Veteran Member

There K7 is said NOT to be the K20D replacement ( Pentax interview some time ago ) and that there is a K200 level camera in the works that will be in the K200d's bracket. The K7 is different and a K200D replacement will fall into the K20D's range spec wise so the line up will look like this

K7 ( top of range ) K300D ( fitting in the K20D's bracket ) K/m
05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3337

There is a middle model due for the late '09 maybe september like k-m last year.

05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Why do so many assume there will be a K20D replacement? K-7 in terms of specs aims at the market the K20D did and its replacement would--prosumer/pro APS-C. What could Pentax possibly put in a K20D replacement that would make it a higher end product than the K-7 (if leaked specs are true), and if they did that would it really be a K20D replacement or would it be a completely new line altogether? I just don't see any room for a K20D replacement. The K-7 really is it. I think they're scrapping the K10D/K20D line and going with the concept of smaller pro-spec APS-C body in the K-7 and its descendants.
i agree with you, the K-7 seems like the best possible APS-C camera in size and features.

as small as it was, the K20 was Pentax's biggest camera...maybe Pentax is saving the K30 designation for when they finally start looking post-aps-c...
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #3339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by watchthewaves Quote
Based on RH's specs, I did a size compare with the Nikon D60. It is JUST 0.1 inch wider and taller than the D60! But it is 0.4 inch deeper -- better for gripping perhaps.

Weight-wise, with battery, its 26.5oz is a full 8oz heavier than the D60! Sounds pretty weighty.
metal will do that
05-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #3340
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know for my own purposes I sized it up... I'm 100% certain that my 30D will be sold after I buy a K-7 for myself of course... I had to see what kind of size shock I am IN for I sized it up in photoshop, this does you all little good, & I only did this for myself but I'll put it up on here anyway, what I came up with in the difference in size between my 30D & the K-7
Thanks for this! I was thinking that a K2000 and a smattering of pancake lenses would make a great travel setup - the K-7 and pancakes may even be better!
05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #3341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
IIRC when the K20D was introduced it was clearly "stated" in rumors that the biggest change from K10D to K20D would be in the sensor area, that for upgrades on everything else we had to wait for the next model.... Seems to have happened.

But is this that "next"model or wil we see a K "30"D - like camera as well.
(OTOH chronologicallyspeaking the K2000D/KMD was the next one. Whatever, justas confused as you are)
How many changes were there to the K20's hardware besides the sensor?

I'm not confused...I have some opinions on what's next from Pentax...

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Is there any chance of Rice High being wrong about that? My only real interest in the K-7 was the rumor of the "special" view finder, but if 100% and .92x is all that it has then I really wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. The D300 has had 100% and .94x for over a year now....and 1/250th flash sync to boot. HDR mode is nice, as well as video mode, but I'm not seeing anything that is worth a month of "leaks" and hype.

It sure is a pretty little camera, and I'd love to have one with a set of pancake limiteds, but man; I really wanted a VF that would rival FF.
So you would buy a $1500 camera just for the viewfinder? Do you also shop for cars by color?

Why not wait a couple days till there are actual picture from the camera, mmmkay? You waded into this thread yourself. Watching a month's worth of leaks were your prerogative.
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
There K7 is said NOT to be the K20D replacement ( Pentax interview some time ago ) and that there is a K200 level camera in the works that will be in the K200d's bracket. The K7 is different and a K200D replacement will fall into the K20D's range spec wise so the line up will look like this

K7 ( top of range ) K300D ( fitting in the K20D's bracket ) K/m
K-7 at the top
Bump the Kx00D up a little in features (making it further from the Kx000 in price, especially)
Give the Kx000 video and it stays to compete with the Canon T1i and Nikon D5000

IMO
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #3342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Is there any chance of Rice High being wrong about that? My only real interest in the K-7 was the rumor of the "special" view finder, but if 100% and .92x is all that it has then I really wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. The D300 has had 100% and .94x for over a year now....and 1/250th flash sync to boot. HDR mode is nice, as well as video mode, but I'm not seeing anything that is worth a month of "leaks" and hype.
i expect we'll be hearing a lot of that.

deliberate or not, Pentax might've reacted better than just having Ned B. acknowledge the rumors. even though the K-7 perfectly suits me and millions of others, unless the VF does in fact include some new technical feature, it will be somewhat of a disappointment. the leaks were just on the table too long, the byproduct of which, is ballooning expectations.

Last edited by illdefined; 05-18-2009 at 12:43 PM.
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #3343
Veteran Member

Could someone do a size comparison against a Canon 5d MarkK II and a Nikon D700 - Please
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #3344
Veteran Member

to make it more relevant for people here, could you follow your excellent mock-up with some Pentax models?
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #3345

If the specs are correct, then the K-7 is going to be a very impressive camera, and if it's priced somewhere between the D300/50D then it will also be competitive.

What I can't find here is reference to why this camera represents "a new concept", or why "other brands will need to catch up". There's no OVF+EVF combo, there's no perspective correction shift via the SR movements, and there's basically nothing we haven't seen elsewhere. A good solid upgrade, but nothing revolutionary.

Also, to really sweep the competition, Pentax should have gone a bit further:

- Red pattern AF assist
- Articulated screen
- 1/250 sync instead of the antiquated 1/180. If they managed to pull it off 15 years ago with the Z1 / PZ1, then what's preventing them from doing it now? In fact, the APS-C frame should make it an easier job. If they can't do it mechanically, then they should do it electronically. The old Nikon D70 went as high as 1/500 using this method, so Pentax should be able to do the same.

Prog.