Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #3346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
So you would buy a $1500 camera just for the viewfinder? Do you also shop for cars by color?

Why not wait a couple days till there are actual picture from the camera, mmmkay? You waded into this thread yourself. Watching a month's worth of leaks were your prerogative.
I don't exactly get your analogy there. The color of a car has no bearing on performance of the car, but a good view finder can make all the difference on a camera. To me the single most important spec is VF size. I care about it more than FPS, weather sealing, or even flash sync. After all, the VF is your window to the world, the bigger and brighter the better. So long story short, yes, I would pay $1500 for a camera if the VF is amazing.

And I don't need to look at pics from the camera to know if I want it or not. I know good and well the IQ will be more than good enough for me. Every SLR made the last 3 years has had good enough IQ for me (in RAW mode anyway).

05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #3347

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
There's no OVF+EVF combo
Evidences, please. No official info discarded that, thus far, to my knowledge.
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #3348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wow, some people are so hard to satisfy.

We have a camera with new chassis, new body, new viewfinder, new exposure system, new improved and faster AF system, new ultrasonic dust removal system, new image processing CPU, new high res LCD, new Contrast AF with face detection, new HD movie mode, new 5fps, new HDR mode, new auto distortion and CA corrections, new HDMI out, new AA compatible battery grip....

I mean, sure, it just a "minor" upgrade, I suppose :ugh:
Geez.
Hate to be a wet blanket but so far it's just a major upgrade for Pentax, not the industry. I'm probably missing something but the lens correction thing, reduced size, and the expectation of a bargain price for the features, are the only things I've seen so far that can't be had somewhere else already... yet.

Honestly, dare I say it, I've read every post and I'm still anxiously awaiting the opportunity to get genuinely excited about something. Hopefully the image quality will be the WOW I'm waiting for but it will need to be roughly in the neighborhood of the 5D markII or D700 to get more than polite applause from me. I'm hoping they have found a creative way to make this 1/180 synching feeling in my gut irrelevant to me, because it's relevance to me right now is pretty significant; Especially if I can't drop below 100 ISO.

But, you know what... I'm not making any definitive declarations until I've got some definitive specs, definitive reviews and definitive image samples. It's entirely possible that my Pentax gamble will pay off and they will get a WOW out of me yet...
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #3349
Veteran Member

Before you start, Yes I Do realise these are comparisons against full frame cameras but in terms of where pentax is aiming this camera these are the cameras I see as the competition and that is my view that I am entitled to. Pentax is going the APS-C way and doing it in style!

These are just a quick done in photoshop sizing up against the hot shoe flash mounts.

Attached Images

Last edited by dopeytree; 05-18-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: I deleted the K-7 vs 5D MK II because I'm not so sure about it.. The D700's LCD and hot shoe match up though so it should be correct sizing.
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #3350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The thing is:
* between K20D/K200D market segment ?
* scrap the K200D segment altogether and make a Lineup of three cameras K-m/K-?/K-7
K-9 perhaps. Like a police dog of Sorts.

Pentax is truly an Innovator.
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #3351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
These are just a quick done in photoshop sizing up against the hot shoe flash mounts.
Since all these cameras are now using 3" 920k LCD's wouldn't it be more accurate to overlay based on the LCD's?
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #3352
Veteran Member

I agree with those who cannot see a new concept here. If the leaked specs are all there is, we have minor improvements, plus video. That's not a new concept or a camera for photographers. It's a small attempt at catching up to the other brands. Colour me underwhelmed.

In fact we lose the nice compartment latches of the K20D, part of what makes it so solid a body. We lose one-touch bracketing. Some stuff is rearranged and that might be good or not, who can say until they use the camera? But none of it is special or more than minor tweaks. The distortion and CA correction features I can do in Photoshop. And I rarely need to, so it won't be saving me much time. Besides, I often shoot with manual focus glass -- this feature will not help there.

I am glad to see 100% viewfinder coverage but would prefer 110% -- that would be part of a "new concept". And we actually lose magnification, down 3%, which will hurt. Win some; lose some.

So, it's a new body. It has some improvements over the K20D but is not a successor to the K20D. It's a "new concept" but has no new concept. It is a camera for real photographers with soul but is intent on playing feature catch-up rather than displaying any soul.

And it's expensive. Together with all the lens price increases it might almost seem that Pentax wants to be the next Nikon, and not the Pentax we knew and loved.

05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #3353
Veteran Member

thanks for this dopeytree. is the 5DII really almost the same size? if thats the case, then Lore's 30D is bigger than the FF 5D....

05-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #3354

Glad the images I did were helpful to a few people.

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
to make it more relevant for people here, could you follow your excellent mock-up with some Pentax models?
ok

05-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #3355
Veteran Member

thank you Lore
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #3356
Veteran Member

thanks for this dopeytree. is the 5DII really almost the same size? if thats the case, then Lore's 30D is bigger than the FF 5D....

No I think I messed it up perhaps Lore will do us one
05-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #3357
Veteran Member

The 5d MKi is just a bit bigger than the K20D, the MKII is about the same size so the K-7 vs MKii comparo is off a bit. humm I know the 30D is actually almost the sme size as the K20D ( well the rebel is ).
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3358

Thanks Lore!
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That's not a new concept .....underwhelmed
...expensive.... not the Pentax we knew and loved.
Now that the specs are almost out, we can start an official K-7 disappointment thread... :ugh::ugh::ugh:
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3360
Veteran Member

That made me rub my eyes and shake my head in disbelief too. The hot shoes are certainly close to the same size in her image... Hmmm, I'm going to have to investigate this one a little further.