Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #3361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let's not forget that cold dead specs do not tell us anything! It's in the field that a camera shows its true spirit. Also, I believe that the specs are at least partly incomplete or even downright false. Let's wait until the official announcement and give Pentax the kudos they deserve. Ricehigh only leaked the full specs to plug his blog and to try to get some fame. So let's forget about him for now and wait for the official announcement.

05-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #3362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Now that the specs are almost out, we can start an official K-7 disappointment thread... :ugh::ugh::ugh:
i fear if the K-7 doesn't have some new viewfinder tech or isn't appreciably smaller than the K20 or Canon 50D.... then that thread will be a really long one...

...or at least be named "why isn't this the K30?"
05-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #3363
Veteran Member

Does anyone know the exact time and date for NDA expiration?
May 20 12:00am? Which timezone?
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #3364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
These are just a quick done in photoshop sizing up against the hot shoe flash mounts.
looking at the D700, would the strap lugs also be a common size?

05-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #3365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Does anyone know the exact time and date for NDA expiration?
May 20 12:00am? Which timezone?
Japan local time ( +9 utc ) May 20th 11.59.59 pm.
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #3366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
looking at the D700, would the strap lugs also be a common size?
For the K-7 vs D700 I matched up the 3" screens and the hot shoe mounts so its a pretty safe bet
05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #3367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Hate to be a wet blanket but so far it's just a major upgrade for Pentax, not the industry. I'm probably missing something but the lens correction thing, reduced size, and the expectation of a bargain price for the features, are the only things I've seen so far that can't be had somewhere else already... yet.
Nikon has CA Correction, at least.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And it's expensive. Together with all the lens price increases it might almost seem that Pentax wants to be the next Nikon, and not the Pentax we knew and loved.
Sure — they've pretty much said as much. They're not interested in being the mass-market brand; they want to be a luxury niche product. Of course, that's a bit hard to do without causing hardship on the current base — us. It remains to see how it goes.

I really love my K10D, though. It's much, much nicer to use than the Canon cameras I've borrowed. (Various Rebels and the 10D, 20D, 40D — it's easy to find friends with Canon cameras!) Basically, it gets just about everything right, and the 90% of the things that bother me are improved in the K20D or rumored to be improved in the K-7. So that's cool with me.

As long as Pentax is the only company making lenses like those in the Limited series, and as long as they keep producing nice solid camera bodies to go with them, I'm still in.

If they've priced it so the street price in a few months is still above $1000, that just means I'll have to plan to keep it for 3-4 years until the next upgrade (instead of 2 this time around).

05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #3368

I've made a size comparison between the K7 and various bodies in the following thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60640-k7-size-comparisons.html

Hopefully people will se that even after another 1000 posts in this megathread
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #3369

dopeytree, that's a nice effort, but its clear that your proportions are out of wack NOT to say mine are 'spot on' I'm no professional... Although I HAVE slept in a Holiday Inn

EDIT: hmm you've since deleted you're comparison

As far as the 5DMKII goes... I dont know how much bigger the 50D is than the 30D... but Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EF 24mm f1.4L II USM lens launch to me they dont look much different in size. I know the 50D is shorter than the 40D. *shrug*

I dont feel the need to do anymore really... *I* & Canon folk, know the size based on a 30D & any Canon Camera compared to it, Pentax folk see it compared to the K20D all is joyous...

oh & 1 Day 15 Hours 8 Minutes... could you just PUKE!

Last edited by Lore; 05-18-2009 at 01:52 PM.
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #3370

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Evidences, please. No official info discarded that, thus far, to my knowledge.
It's not in the specs RH posted, which seems pretty detailed. Do you really expect an EVF to be included?

Prog.
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #3371
Veteran Member

Vy a duck? vy not a chicken?

"supersonic duct removal system"
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3372
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Thanks for this! I was thinking that a K2000 and a smattering of pancake lenses would make a great travel setup - the K-7 and pancakes may even be better!
Are you the little voice talking in my head? That's exactly what I'm thinking, and the main reason I'm giving Pentax a look.
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lore Quote
dopeytree, that's a nice effort, but its clear that your proportions are out of wack NOT to say mine are 'spot on' I'm no professional... Although I HAVE slept in a Holiday Inn

As far as the 5DMKII goes... I dont know how much bigger the 50D is than the 30D... but Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EF 24mm f1.4L II USM lens launch to me they dont look much different in size. I know the 50D is shorter than the 40D. *shrug*
I overlayed against the d700s screen and then moved it.. look the hot shoe matches perfectly so this can't be that off can it!?

Edit: I see you were chatting about the 5D comparison which I deleted alomost imdiatly after posting :S not the D700
Attached Images

Last edited by dopeytree; 05-18-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I see you were chatting about the 5D comparison which I deleted alomost imdiatly after posting :S not the D700
05-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #3374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
It's not in the specs RH posted, which seems pretty detailed. Do you really expect an EVF to be included?

Prog.
The EVF was a rumor, it all started with Neds op-ed and the Beattles pic, some guessed at a EVF, others guessed it was a surprise in the finder. Regardless the EVF rumor now started from the speculations

This also links to the 1.3x crop sensor, a few of us ( me included ) were ASKING about the possibilities of using a 1.3 crop vs FF and someone ( I can guess at a few persons ) reposted the thread on dpr and the Russian forums and the rumor now started that there will be a 1.3x crop sensor.

Many rumors get started when someone asks a question or posts a humorous jest as a response, someone then reposts it somewhere else and BOOM rumor mill gone wild.

I just wish some more people would actually take the time to read a thread properly and not jump to wild speculations or make claims of EVF's and the like and post on other forums that it will be there when many of us are still guessing or have incomplete details ( ya like my inside source only giving me snips of the press photos, and worse yet cutting off the important info 1/2 way through the good stuff, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW GIVE ME THE REST RICE DOESN'T HAVE!! )
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #3375
Veteran Member

Flash Sync Speed looks to be 1/250?

Quote from RH blog, anonymous poster.

Anonymous said...
"Guys. Wait for OFFICIAL specs. x-sync NOT 1/180, I know I work for Pentax."

Makes me wonder how many other 'specs' are incorrect.