Will be sad to see this thread quiet down after the official specs come out
looks like it will end at around 3500, not a bad record that

05-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #3482
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Will be sad to see this thread quiet down after the official specs come out
looks like it will end at around 3500, not a bad record that
Indeed, it was practical to have all info grouped into one thread. I managed to follow most of it and not really following other threads didn't make me miss a thing.

I hope that the actual specs thread that will be started tomorrow will stay grouped as well?

Wim
05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #3483
Inactive Account

With specs like these, the K-7 has put pentax on third base. Hopefully the IQ and other new improvements like AF will be excellent and that should give pentax the home-run.

Time to start saving.

Well done, Pentax.
05-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #3484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
It's basically a D300 + video in a smaller package with SR built in. Who wouldn't want that? Who needs anything more?
Not quite, the D300 is still faster (more fps, buffer, and most probably AF). But it comes close enough for most Pentaxians.

That shows gross incompetence on the part of their marketing department. They had to know a photo like that would set off tons of rumors.
I think you're just very disapointed. I also think they should have at least matched the D300 VF but as everything is a compromise maybe it was too big for the K-7 target size? Anyway in your case if VF is that important, a FF camera is probably what you need and you will always be frustrated by APS-C VF.

For me the 100% coverage is more important than magnification alone.

05-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #3485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Not quite, the D300 is still faster (more fps, buffer, and most probably AF). But it comes close enough for most Pentaxians.

I think you're just very disapointed. I also think they should have at least matched the D300 VF but as everything is a compromise maybe it was too big for the K-7 target size? Anyway in your case if VF is that important, a FF camera is probably what you need and you will always be frustrated by APS-C VF.

Do remember that the D300 only does 3-3.5 fps in full sized raw mode so if shooting raw the K7 is already ahead.
05-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #3486
and
Veteran Member

not really. it is slower in 14bit raw mode, pentax doesnt have 14bit raw mode, it has 12, and in the 12 bit raw mode the d300 is faster, even more so with battery grip
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #3487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote

That's the stinker of it; the K7 is so close to perfect. It has everything I want aside from the VF. I wish I would have never tested out the current crop of FF cameras now. I was perfectly happy with my K10D before looking through the D700 VF. I wonder if there is some sort of pill I can take to make me forget that memory.

05-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #3488

Second time in this topic i reccomend O-ME53.
05-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #3489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Been there, done that: this is really no substitute to a bigger VF, especially if you wear eyeglasses...
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #3490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the stinker of it; the K7 is so close to perfect. It has everything I want aside from the VF. I wish I would have never tested out the current crop of FF cameras now. I was perfectly happy with my K10D before looking through the D700 VF. I wonder if there is some sort of pill I can take to make me forget that memory.
I know the feeling, I've peering through the A900 VF at an exhibition. Great VF but I don't really care, it's just a nice to have like bigger LCD, unless maybe if I was using manual focus a lot. For macro, the Liveview will be better anyway... But I like to compose the shot tightly that's why 100% is more useful for me. That said, I'm using a KPS (1.3x) magnifying eyepiece on my K20D, I like the comfort but I could do without it. And I really do since I'm using the K-m with the vanilla VF. If you don't wear glass you may want to try the KPS...

There will always be something missing on the new camera. Even the D300 didn't have it all (no in-body SR). The K-7 will be the best Pentax for at least 1-2 years, if you don't like it, it maybe time to switch if you cannot wait for something better.
05-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #3491
and
Veteran Member

I wonder if they will update the lousy tethering software!?
now that is probably has decent live view, would be nice to get that up on the computer like with the canikon sf along with some decent controls.

or otoh why dont they just relase the sdk instead, then ppl will make their own to rival the best out there, that would be very cool
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #3492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Now, with the K-7 and 100% viewfinder and 0.92x magnification (which translates to 0.60x magnification when compared to a FF camera ...), time has really come that ...

... Pentax release a 1.3X magnifying eye piece with great eye relief (large exit pupil)!

We all know they can do it. LX eye pieces come to mind ...
05-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #3493
Veteran Member

That's the stinker of it; the K7 is so close to perfect. It has everything I want aside from the
But the fact is that a APS-C VF can never be compared with a FF ones. Even with 100% coverage, 1.0x VF, it still does not come close to a FF one. So if you want FF size VF, there is no alternative but to get a FF camera.
05-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #3494
Veteran Member

My only complaint about FF VFs is not being able to see the info bar in certain situatons. It can be like sitting on the front row of the movie theater. You have to really look around. FF does make focus and compasition much easier as well as giving a more realistic sense of DoF. Of course, anyone who has ever peered through a tiny Olympus 4/3 viewfinder will instantly recognize that bigger is better!
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #3495
Forum Member

Any K-7 images with flash lifted?

Are there any images of the K-7 with the flash lifted?
Would be interesting to see if the AF assist lamp (led) is in the flash.
Another thing that is unclear to me is where the built in mic are placed? could that also be on the flash assembly? Maybe a way of decoupling it from AF motor vibrations?

/Mats