Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #3496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
and it could be like Hotel California, you can't check out!
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
More pedantry: I believe you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ...
Nice!

About the rant forum: We are all just prisoners here...of our own device
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I'm getting a nice feeling in my Yingwu as we speak. The K-7 may have just entered my shopping list. Hopefully it's around $1200 at release.
I LOL'd
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
anyone else find it hilarious that earlier in this thread OGL said there is no 1080 video(page 104). Yet in the thread above he sneaks in and says "Final version of video modes"? Even funnier is that it's the output of the HDMI to a TV/monitor and not the video resolution itself, like he has no clue about this camera. Funny stuff...
He knows as much as the rest of us. Like me...he waits for bits of info from others to make his claims. Difference is...I don't make it sound like I have an "inside man" or anything...just that some rumors are easily confirmed and some stay ambiguous. I'm OK with saying "I'm not sure about this or that"
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
YES. Thank you. Thank you.
AF Assist will most likely be through the on-board flash. That's where my money lies

05-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #3497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mats Quote
Are there any images of the K-7 with the flash lifted?
Would be interesting to see if the AF assist lamp (led) is in the flash.
Another thing that is unclear to me is where the built in mic are placed? could that also be on the flash assembly? Maybe a way of decoupling it from AF motor vibrations?

/Mats
A few pages back

Since I'm nice https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/601159-post3404.html

I'm guessing the mic is on the flash "hump"...see the second pic in that post? That little hole should be the mic...
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #3498
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
A few pages back

Since I'm nice https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/601159-post3404.html

I'm guessing the mic is on the flash "hump"...see the second pic in that post? That little hole should be the mic...
Thanks,
Missed that.
/Mats
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #3499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Will be sad to see this thread quiet down after the official specs come out
looks like it will end at around 3500, not a bad record that
Looks like your guess might have been a bit conservative

05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #3500
Veteran Member

See what I mean?
05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #3501
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
My only complaint about FF VFs is not being able to see the info bar in certain situatons. It can be like sitting on the front row of the movie theater. You have to really look around. FF does make focus and compasition much easier as well as giving a more realistic sense of DoF. Of course, anyone who has ever peered through a tiny Olympus 4/3 viewfinder will instantly recognize that bigger is better!
Oh, that rules me out for FF, I use the in-VF information a lot.

But a 1.0x 100% VF, wouldn't that be bigger that the camera itsself, or at least look very weird?
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #3502
Veteran Member

AF Assist will most likely be through the on-board flash. That's where my money lies
so then what happens when you have a flash on the hot shoe? No AF assist?

Last edited by dave sz; 05-19-2009 at 10:25 AM.
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #3503
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been watching this thread and my hope is high on one single thing in Pentax. It is not the body, not the new features, not the frame rate, not the video, not the size, not the buttons, not even the viewfinder.

I care most about the AF performance. I care more about how responsive the AF work as compared to the current models as in K10D and K20D. Falconeye posted an article rating the performance of Pentax being the least performance among others in terms of AF.C performance

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/25521-magazine-review-...good-info.html

It is something I truly hope Pentax delivers this time.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-19-2009 at 10:26 AM.
05-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #3504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
so then what happens when you have a flsh on he hot shoe? No AF assist?
My guess: It will use the onboard flash as long as it's the 360/540. Don't they already do the pre-flash thing? I don't own one...
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #3505

My guess: It will use the onboard flash as long as it's the 360/540. Don't they already do the pre-flash thing? I don't own one...
They have a working AF assist beam(red), which is working okay, aka it is needed to focus in the dark. Without the AF assist beam there is no working AF.
05-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Oh, that rules me out for FF, I use the in-VF information a lot.

But a 1.0x 100% VF, wouldn't that be bigger that the camera itsself, or at least look very weird?
I wouldn't be too worried about it, I don't have a problem viewing the info bar personally. And nope, the Olympus E-3 has a 1.15x and 100% view finder. It is quite a hump, but I actually like seeing large humps like the Sony A900 has. It lets me know that there is a serious piece of glass in there. Function over form for me on that front. They could always do away with the on board flash if the hump got too large though. I haven't popped my on board flash up on my Nikon in months. I think an on-board flash is a worthless addition if you have an AF assist lamp and primarily use wireless triggers.
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #3507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
They have a working AF assist beam(red), which is working okay, aka it is needed to focus in the dark. Without the AF assist beam there is no working AF.
Ahhh...thank you
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #3508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I think an on-board flash is a worthless addition if you have an AF assist lamp and primarily use wireless triggers.
I use the on board flash as a wireless trigger!
It is a critical piece of equipment for me. I will never buy a camera without a built-in flash.
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #3509
Veteran Member

But the AF assist light is clearly visible next to the battery grip!
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #3510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
My only complaint about FF VFs is not being able to see the info bar in certain situatons. It can be like sitting on the front row of the movie theater. You have to really look around. FF does make focus and compasition much easier as well as giving a more realistic sense of DoF. Of course, anyone who has ever peered through a tiny Olympus 4/3 viewfinder will instantly recognize that bigger is better!
Another problem with FF VF is for AF. The AF points are all in the center even on the Nikon D3 51-points AF. The Pentax APS-C AF sensors placement is much more useful for off-center compositions.

Speaking of AF, the big unknown about the K-7 will be AF-C performance.