Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #3526
Veteran Member

Say, I see in that picture why the new K-7 battery is not compatible with the k20d. The k10d/k20d battery is 7.4v. It looks like the new system is 8.3v?

05-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #3527
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is not correct, actually. An APS-C 100% coverage, 1.13x viewfinder looks exactly as large as a 92% coverage, 0.8x viewfinder on a FF film camera like the PZ-1p.
That's what I had my hopes on. The VF doesn't have to be as big and bright as a Sony A900, but in the ballpark would be nice. As I've said in the past, if Olympus can overcome the size limitations of the 4/3's sensor and make the E-3 view finder look better than most APS-C view finders I've seen, then Pentax should be able to take Olympus' idea and use it on an APS-C camera.

Unfortunately, it seems like people care more about live view and video then they do about using nice view finders these days. As much as it makes me want to throw up a little inside I know Pentax is better off spending development dollars on video instead of a better view finder if they want to sale more cameras.
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #3528
Inactive Account

edit @ pentax poke

Probably to allow for the higher burst speed, maybe? Obviously this mainly has to due with the shutter assembly itself, but the extra power is needed on the d300 for example (grip) to get the full 8fps.

Last edited by Tyler; 05-19-2009 at 12:26 PM.
05-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #3529

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote

Anyone else notice the +/- 5ev on that back panel Pretty snazzy.
I did as well. But top LCD show ±2

05-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #3530
Pentaxian

It's things like this -5 to +5 exp. compensation that I think that the leaked specs are largely incomplete. Who in their right mind would not include that in the specs. I think we can expect pretty nice news tomorrow
05-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #3531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Falconeye posted an article rating the performance of Pentax being the least performance among others in terms of AF.C performance
Hin, I enjoy very much that you remember this post after a so long time.
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #3532
Pentaxian

Anyone noticed how there's shiny metal around the borders in the cover/door? Magnesium steel looks...

05-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #3533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dams2One Quote
I did as well. But top LCD show ±2
Maybe ±2 when set to 1/3 step and ±5 when set to 1 EV step?

Or is that text on the top display fixed in format/signs?
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #3534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Maybe ±2 when set to 1/3 step and ±5 when set to 1 EV step?
The photo showed +/-5 in 1/3 steps!
05-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #3535
Inactive Account

edit @ pentax poke

Probably to allow for the higher burst speed, maybe? Obviously this mainly has to due with the shutter assembly itself, but the extra power is needed on the d300 for example (grip) to get the full 8fps.
There's actually a trick to get the D300 to shoot 8fps without the grip, so it's not really a power requirement. Canon 50D can do 6+ fps with a 7.4V battery too. So more likely Pentax just wanted a higher capacity battery for all the liveview and video people would be doing with the K-7, and the higher voltage was just part of it.
05-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #3536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
You obviously haven't played with / checked out current crops of LED flashlight lately!
But I have. This was the "issue" I took with your first response, in bold:
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Nowadays, an LED light can be seriously bright; actually it can be too bright, so they probably won't use the brightest one available.
Sitting here with a just-repaired Sony P&S from 2005, the AF lamp is clear, first. Second, I just did an informal test across my kitchen into the dark hallway about 30-35ft away. A P&S is easy to focus because of the sensor size and relative aperture blah blah...I'm wondering how well it would do with something like a f/1.4 lens from this distance.
Anyone else notice the +/- 5ev on that back panel Pretty snazzy.
Interestinggggggg...thanks for the pic
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That's what I had my hopes on. The VF doesn't have to be as big and bright as a Sony A900, but in the ballpark would be nice. As I've said in the past, if Olympus can overcome the size limitations of the 4/3's sensor and make the E-3 view finder look better than most APS-C view finders I've seen, then Pentax should be able to take Olympus' idea and use it on an APS-C camera.

Unfortunately, it seems like people care more about live view and video then they do about using nice view finders these days. As much as it makes me want to throw up a little inside I know Pentax is better off spending development dollars on video instead of a better view finder if they want to sale more cameras.
Well...you're one person with one specific demand. Either like it...or don't. Better yet...the newly created "K-7 Disappointment" thread would be a good place for you to go play in
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Anyone noticed how there's shiny metal around the borders in the cover/door? Magnesium steel looks...
Kinda looks like a reflection...I don't see a metal look. There also has to be a weather seal on the door somewhere. The body material has the exact same "specks" on it as the K10/20...nice
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #3537
Veteran Member

edit @ pentax poke

So does it mean that K-7 will have higher than 5fps if a battery grip is attached?
05-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #3538
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's things like this -5 to +5 exp. compensation that I think that the leaked specs are largely incomplete. Who in their right mind would not include that in the specs. I think we can expect pretty nice news tomorrow
Who in their right mind would use expressions like "Crippled K-mount" in a press release?
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #3539
Veteran Member

Only 9 hours to go, or something like that
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #3540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
My guess: It will use the onboard flash as long as it's the 360/540. Don't they already do the pre-flash thing? I don't own one...
I have a promaster 7000m that does it as well, problem is, the AF assist beam isn't centered. Yeah, funny stuff. Even then what if I have my trigger on the shoe?

Wait a second. If it uses the on board flash as the AF assist lamp, then what the hell is so new about it? Even my k100d has that. What's the big deal about it if nothing is new on that front?
Earlier in the thread someone said the AF assist beam is GREEN. Would that tell you the on board flash isn't used as the AF assist?