Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #3556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Oh, and btw.. doesn't anybody wonder why the only photo of the K-7 with the flash popped up is cropped so the top part of the flash isn't visible? And why does someone say it has a green focus assist light? And why did the obviously fake photoshopped image of a K-m flash have green leds on top?
Yup... I've been mulling all of that over for a while now. I suspect that the Photoshopped version is based in reality.

05-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #3557
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Yup... I've been mulling all of that over for a while now. I suspect that the Photoshopped version is based in reality.
here:

Google Translate

Peter Fang mentions the AF assist lamp when describing the front of the camera (flash down) and talks about the light being green.

i asked him to confirm in plain english but he got bombarded by questions and didn't answer.
05-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #3558
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
here:

Google Translate

Peter Fang mentions the AF assist lamp when describing the front of the camera (flash down) and talks about the light being green.

i asked him to confirm in plain english but he got bombarded by questions and didn't answer.
Quoted from Peter's blog:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax DSLR in the first independent AF-assist illuminator is looking forward to quite a number of functions, this feature can also turn off the menu in order to avoid being taken in those who do not want to disturb the issue of the terrible time when the green beam.
There you go, I was looking to find where I read about the AF light being green.
That little bulb on the front near the shutter is white.
So how come Peter mention the AF light as green?

Can't wait the full release info tomorrow.
I'm still pretty sure, Pentax has something not revealed yet. And it could be some small surprises or even a BIG one.
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #3559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Green? (I wonder if that has something to do with our eye's sensitivity to that color, or how red is sensitive to us but more "offensive"...)

From the newest pics linked in the "50-200mm WR Lens" thread, it appears that the sensor/lamp next to the shutter could be clear and not translucent-to-almost-opaque. Then it would be an AF lamp if the former were true. I guess we'll see in a few hours....
Either way, I'll be taking mine apart and stuffing the brightest LED that I can find in there. Want to have a focus beam that works across a football field...

05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #3560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
There's another camera floating around someplace that has a clear LED for just that purpose. It may also explain the higher power requirement.
this is an LED we're taking about. LEDs don't need tons of power, they barely need any........
05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #3561
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Either way, I'll be taking mine apart and stuffing the brightest LED that I can find in there. Want to have a focus beam that works across a football field...
I imagine that will get you a lot of shots of palms in front of faces.
05-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #3562
Veteran Member

Oh, and btw.. doesn't anybody wonder why the only photo of the K-7 with the flash popped up is cropped so the top part of the flash isn't visible? And why does someone say it has a green focus assist light? And why did the obviously fake photoshopped image of a K-m flash have green leds on top?
Thanks for the high res photo!

Good observation and I asked myself the same question.

Esp. as it was me who posted the photo with the cropped flash and also who claimed that the blurry flash photo be faked.

With respect to blurry flash photo is faked ... it does indeed show the flash unit of a K-m. Nevertheless, somebody "in the know" could have photoshopped what he knows about into the photo ...

With respect to the cropped flash: I know the photographer and he shot the photo himself and AFAIK w/o any intention to crop it at that delicate line

I do still believe that there won't be little green lights in the flash unit. But there actually could

05-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #3563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
That little bulb on the front near the shutter is white.
So how come Peter mention the AF light as green?
So what if the bulb is white? It isn't actually as it looks clear to me. I have a bunch of tiny LEDs here all are clear yet they are blue and red when powered. Color of lens has nothing to do with it...
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #3564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I imagine that will get you a lot of shots of palms in front of faces.
Probably. But why didn't pentax just get the brightest one in there and allow us to tweak the brightness via menu or something? It's a simple circuit I've even done many many times....
05-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #3565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
this is an LED we're taking about. LEDs don't need tons of power, they barely need any........
But they do have varying power requirements depending on their output level. There are some high intensity LEDs out there that pull a lot of current. Of course, green LEDs are some of the most efficient available with respect to lumen output at a given wattage. BTW, a green focus assist LED is brilliant marketing however unintentional it may be. It should project a pattern that reads "PENTAX"
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #3566
Veteran Member

hahahaha, that would be awesome!

Does the eye piece worry anyone else? The k 7's that is? Looks kind flat and very close to the body. On my k100 I have the original k100 piece with the 1.2x NIKON piece mounted on top of it and that is jus about perfect. This just seems too flat for the contours of the eye/face and too close to the body...
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #3567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who in their right mind would use expressions like "Crippled K-mount" in a press release?
Well, it is Pentax we're talking about.

QuoteOriginally posted by Acliffalay Quote
I'm at a loss of what I would do with +/- 5ev...
Me too. I meter spot and go manual if I need to. But, hey, it doesn't hurt if the numbers are bigger than the competition's.
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #3568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EDIT: Just realized this is probably the same photo used in the photoshopped futurama image.
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the high res photo!

Good observation and I asked myself the same question.

Esp. as it was me who posted the photo with the cropped flash and also who claimed that the blurry flash photo be faked.

With respect to blurry flash photo is faked ... it does indeed show the flash unit of a K-m. Nevertheless, somebody "in the know" could have photoshopped what he knows about into the photo ...

With respect to the cropped flash: I know the photographer and he shot the photo himself and AFAIK w/o any intention to crop it at that delicate line

I do still believe that there won't be little green lights in the flash unit. But there actually could
I don't believe there is anything special about that flash. Any photographer in his place would have noticed anything different from other flash units and showed it up to us, wouldn't he?

Last edited by RuiC; 05-19-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: "up to us"
05-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #3569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
BTW, a green focus assist LED is brilliant marketing however unintentional it may be. It should project a pattern that reads "PENTAX"
How could a green focus assist LED project a red PENTAX pattern? Did I miss any of the recent patents published by Pentax?
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #3570
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can take AA batteries?-