Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Actually, out of curiousity, I checked to see what this new firmware did - to see if it really did offer some "concrete improvements". (Sorry Matt, not trying to be snide, I'm legitimately curious if they're actually making real improvements.)

It looks like their released two new D40 firmwares in short succession this month: 1.12, which fixes a bug with one type of their battery not lasting as long as it should, and 1.11: "Shooting times were not always accurately recorded in image data for images captured in bursts of continuous shooting."
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
All that suggests to me is that Nikon sent the D40 to market too early - the firmware was full of bugs that needed correcting with later updates.

A camera that required NO firmware updates would be more valuable to me - that tells me they got it right the first time.

(P.S. - I'm a Firmware Engineer)
A key point here: the EN-EL9a battery is brand-new.

04-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not so sure I entirely agree with this philosophy.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
All that suggests to me is that Nikon sent the D40 to market too early - the firmware was full of bugs that needed correcting with later updates.

A camera that required NO firmware updates would be more valuable to me - that tells me they got it right the first time.

(P.S. - I'm a Firmware Engineer)

Two points I'd like to make;

Technology does change- SDHC support for the *Ds was added, and so was a bunch of other useful functionality as technology was developed.
I have been disappointed by the lack of firmware updates on the K200D. In contrast, my IST*Ds was supported from 2004 to well into 2006. The camera worked well throughout it's life with me (it is now in its second incarnation with my sisters family) and firmware updates added new camera functionality and support as technology progressed. Kudos Pentax.

The K20D has been well supported for firmware updates - this suggests that "high-end" support is going on for the flagship of Pentax but not for the lower end models (although did I see firmware update for the K-m for issues?). Boo Pentax here, as I believe their customer base to be informed enthusiasts (for the most part....) who appreciate support and who don't have to change models every year or so..

Then again the *Ds had a pentaprism and other high end features of the time (no lower model apart from the *Ds2 has since - mores the pity).

To summarise - Are cameras throw away items or supportable technology platforms?
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
KM/K2000 got a firmware update, indeed.