Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If true or nearly, I buy it ASAP to replace my K10D.
I will do the same. Well, not technically "replace" since I intend to keep my K10D...

04-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
pm42, there are several topics here discussing the new camera and that store has been mentioned.

"HD video". Any idea what kind of?
Sorry, I did not read them all. No idea of what kind of video support it will be as I'm not the source of the infos.

One last thing: the K7, should he exists and meet the specs above is also supposed to be very compact, more than a K20D, something in the spirit of the "Limited" lenses.
04-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pm42 Quote
On another forum, someone claiming having them from Pentax posted the following specs:

Name: K7
Same sensor as the K20D
Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment
5 images/sec
100 % viewfinder
Better weatherproofing
Mirror lockup
Liveview and HD Video
Better stabilizer .
Better DRE mode
77 zones light metering
Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses
3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)
1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync
Very agressive pricing, less than 1500€ with the kit lens

Please do not shoot the messenger. We'll see if it's true shortly I guess.
I think that is believable and not too outlandish at all.

In terms of video I would expect 720p. I suppose that 1080p is possible but a lot less likely.

Now the question is what is this new lens line Pentax was talking about and will we see a new kit lens?
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
In terms of video I would expect 720p. I suppose that 1080p is possible but a lot less likely.

Now the question is what is this new lens line Pentax was talking about and will we see a new kit lens?
Let's hope they have something a better for the kit lens. I mean something that can compete with the Nikkor 18-105. The new Tokina 16.5-135 would be a tremendous kit lens, but I doubt it. Maybe the 17-70/4 but it's a bit expensive for a kit lens. They also really need a weathersealed kit lens.

HD video I don't care too much. I'm okay with a video mode, can be useful at times but anything is better than nothing. 720p would be OK. Let's hope it's a bit better than the D90 though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I will do the same. Well, not technically "replace" since I intend to keep my K10D...
Yep that would be a real upgrade. The K20D was good but there was nothing really that much better than the K10D (unless you got one of the lemons, my K10D was and still is very good).

04-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pm42 Quote
On another forum, someone claiming having them from Pentax posted the following specs:

Name: K7
Same sensor as the K20D
Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment
5 images/sec
100 % viewfinder
Better weatherproofing
Mirror lockup
Liveview and HD Video
Better stabilizer .
Better DRE mode
77 zones light metering
Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses
3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)
1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync
Very agressive pricing, less than 1500€ with the kit lens

Please do not shoot the messenger. We'll see if it's true shortly I guess.
Sounds good. I probably won't be an early adopter, but I am interested in getting this one over time. What I needed to see are there: better stabilizer, better noise treatment, much better AF system, better viewfinder. The rest are gravy.

I really don't mind much if the HD video is 720p or 1080p. I suspect it still won't have AF during video mode anyway, so it'll have limited use to an admittedly non-videographer like me. If they can get it to 1080p at 60fps, though, kudos to them.
04-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Let's hope they have something a better for the kit lens.
Isn't it the best in the business? Doubly best at the price? They just upgraded it and made an L version; I don't see them releasing a fourth version any time soon.

Those that want something better can buy the body bundled with the DA16-45, as it is pictured in many promo shots. Keeping the price of the kit package low is better than forcing people to pay more for a better lens they likely don't want anyway. Some might prefer the DA17-70, some might prefer a fixed prime... isn't variety what SLRs are all about?
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Look at any camera forum and they will say "our kit lens is the best". I'd say that is true, they are about as good as each other and they do what they are suppose to.

04-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Fresh from a Pentax French dealer/reseller:
it's about K7 (without "D"), it's from the same line as K20D and not a "pro" camera (as the expected K2D). It's not a FF. It has almost the same specifications as K20D. What's new: the look concept, video HD and improvements from K20D (many and consistent). The same Safox VII focus system, but "improved towards stability (?) and accuracy", but not in terms of speed.

A pro DSLR camera line is to be expected in 2010-2011, but not a word about the sensor size.
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Isn't it the best in the business? Doubly best at the price? They just upgraded it and made an L version; I don't see them releasing a fourth version any time soon.
The 18-55 II is very good, I like it in its the DA L incarnation. But a good 18-105 like the Nikkor would be a more desirable range for an upmarket model.
04-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
it's about K7 (without "D"), it's from the same line as K20D and not a "pro" camera (as the expected K2D). It's not a FF. It has almost the same specifications as K20D. What's new: the look concept, video HD and improvements from K20D (many and consistent). The same Safox VII focus system, but "improved towards stability (?) and accuracy", but not in terms of speed.
Sounds good to me. I'd love a magical revolution, but I'm very, very happy to have things moving in the same direction as the K10D → K20D → next.
04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Hard to believe that fps and noise are greatly improved on the same sensor as K20D. But then, I'm not an electronics engineer. Others may chip in (and, I hope, will).

If low-light/yellow-light AF stays at K20D performance (and therefore goes backwards from K2K performance), the aliens are welcome. They'll provide a diversion whilst I pound my head against my garden wall.
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Why not? 1/8000 and 1/250 sync are rather standard on top-level bodies (40D, 50D, A700, E-3, D300). Nothing out of the ordinary.

77 zones metering: Why not? I believe the 16-segments is as old as the first *ist D. It's about time for an upgrade.
because I do not think that there were as many complaints about Pentax cameras not having 1/8000 and 1/250 as some other issues... and to have that done Pentax needs a little bit more expensive electromechanical part(s)... and once there is something w/ "mechanical" in the name vs just "electronic" it costs $ nowadays, even those parameters are nowhere exotic... $ here $ there adds to the cost and Pentax I think will have only so many new things done in a new camera at once - new sensor w/ faster readout, allowing some kind of HD video and more fps/more raws|jpegs taken in a burst (plus more RAM to keep that), may be better high ISO performance - that will already be good enough - add a new body, may be something about viewfinder, better LCD screen and that's it - most of consumers and popular review sites will notice and report that and not 1/4000 + 1/180 plus old 16 zones metering...
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zipser Quote
K7D.

Embargo on the news has been started, but the specs will be available soon :-)
it will be
Pentax KETUW

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; 04-21-2009 at 10:37 PM.
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #59

Sounds quite plausible too because the cost of developping such a body would be low: different cosmetics/some software to support video and give better AF...

On the other hand, it would also be somewhat sad because it is just an incremental evolution like Canon does often and I'm afraid it would not increase the attractivness of the offer up to the point it deserves.
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #60
Veteran Member

A pro DSLR camera line is to be expected in 2010-2011, but not a word about the sensor size.

I really hope that what you heard is wrong.

I don't want a K20D in a new body, but now with video.

I can't be the only one here that is looking at this camera to decide if Pentax is the system I want to spend my cash on.

Common Pentax...help keep me as a fanboy.