Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
But since you said more than once again you never visited my site, how come you could know there is none?? (and before you made your unsubstantiated comments before you have ever read my site!)
Read it again dude - no unsubstantiated comments were made. I told you to link to any tests of gear you have conducted - as I said I have no idea what is on your site. How is this an "unsubstantiated comment". I realize you don't appreciate my sentiments but you need to read things carefully before firing off salvos. Perhaps if you were to also take some of your own advice here (about not making unsubstantiated claims) you would gain the respect of so many here who do not value your opinion?

04-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Why is Rice High still even allowed to post here when all he does is cause incessant bickering and drama?
Why NOT? :-o

QuoteQuote:
This guy obviously doesn't care about Pentax, or Pentax Forums, at all- other than as a potential additional traffic stream to his blog, which is a total joke, (I know, I'm a professional SEO).
My site is now actually more than self-substantiated, that is, I generate traffic for others, indeed. So? (You should have the answers yourself as you're just a professional SEO)

QuoteQuote:
All he ever does is lambast Pentax products without actually even TESTING those items that he's belittling...
I have used and tried all the Pentax DSLR bodies, no matter the current ones and those in the past.

And, you should know that writing a blog has nothing to do to do reviews by oneself. Thats the Internet - you *should* know! (yet once again)

QuoteQuote:
You guys do realize that Canikon (no different from most other large consumer product corporations) most likely pays certain bloggers to pump up their own products and generate negative press for their competitor's... right?
Good imaginations! I write my Blog nothing to do with money, not even I enabled the Google Adsense as anyone can see there is no Ad in my site!

And, Canon need not to do the non-existent meaningless things as your conspiracy theory suggests, as their product lines are so comprehesive and updated and the role of market leader is just so clear (together with Nikon).

QuoteQuote:
How much longer do we all have to put up with this?
Before you will know how you should "discuss" topic with others instead of going it personal and making any meaningless unsubstantiated claims and accuses.
04-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Then I see you gloat about how many people visit your site and I am not inspired to join the herd.
Okay this is serious off-topic here, but I actually encourage you to visit RiceHigh's blog. He's got a bunch of really interesting stuff there, for example several reports on how Pentax glass works on full frame camera's like Canon 5D.

So back to topic: here we are counting days again
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Okay this is serious off-topic here, but I actually encourage you to visit RiceHigh's blog. He's got a bunch of really interesting stuff there, for example several reports on how Pentax glass works on full frame camera's like Canon 5D.

So back to topic: here we are counting days again
Thanks.

And yes, pls go back to the original Topic!

04-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #35
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks.

And yes, pls go back to the original Topic!
Do you plan to buy K7?
04-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you plan to buy K7?
Yes, but the final outcome depends. I need to wait for its specs and set price announced and try a few times hands on before decided - but I am sure I will do it very quickly! :-)
04-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Not "clunky" in English, but just a not-so-good English interpretation and translation.

It should read, "The proud successor of the renowned gear", if I am to translate it. Justs that! Does it look better and easier to understand now? :-)
RiceHigh's translation is wrong. As he says, it does look better, but that doesn't mean it's right. Plenty of advertising language sounds "clunky" when translated from Japanese to English. I'm a translator based in Nagoya.

First, it doesn't say "proud," which is an adjective, but "pride", a noun.

And it's not "pride of the successor", but the pride of RiceHigh's "renowned gear". Except it doesn't quite say "renowned gear", either. Word order and vocabulary are wrong.  

Breakdown:

名機の: Of a high-performance machine (rocket, airplane, etc); of a famous/great machine

誇り: Pride

を: Indicates direct object of action

受け継げる: To inherit; succeed

者: Person; -er; -ee (受け継げる者 = successor)

So there you go. Try not to criticize other people's translations when you're farther off yourself.

04-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vita Quote
RiceHigh's translation is wrong. As he says, it does look better, but that doesn't mean it's right. Plenty of advertising language sounds "clunky" when translated from Japanese to English. I'm a translator based in Nagoya.

And it's not "pride of the successor", but the pride of RiceHigh's "renowned gear". Except it doesn't quite say "renowned gear", either. Word order and vocabulary are wrong.  

Breakdown:

名機の: Of a high-performance machine (rocket, airplane, etc); of a famous/great machine

So there you go. Try not to criticize other people's translations when you're farther off yourself.
Thanks for your professional translation. And of course, I am stand corrected in front of you, as a professional translator, who masters both Japanese and English extraordinarily well!

However, pls don't get me wrong, I am NOT critising anyone's translation(s) but just tried to make a better one from my best understanding.

Btw, I shall point to your translations at my Blog to let other people know about the exact translation, even up to a good standard from an academic point of view! But before that, please do help to make a full translation for the whole slogan sentence, that's what we all need! TIA!

And, next time please appear more frequently to translate more of those original Japanese stuff for us from time to time if you can! :-)
04-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #39
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vita Quote

Breakdown:

I think that Rice is not wrong at all. He made translation easy to understand.
I can say that to translate this into Russian is not easy too.

Another logic.

Meiki-no hokori - I can say here in this context - "pride of famous cameras (gears) (of glorious past)"
uketsugeru mono - "the successor"

it's not easy to make smooth translation...

To say "The successor of pride of famous gears" is no good in English. It's some kind of absurd.

To translate more digestible I'd change PRIDE to GLORY.

We can discuss...

There are the literary translation close to context and the translation close to text.

Last edited by ogl; 04-23-2009 at 12:40 AM.
04-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm going to stick with my K10D for a few more years and invest on some lenses instead, but I bought my K10D a year ago so I'm not in the loop of already buying a new DSLR. I just hope future Pentax cameras will have less noise in high ISOs and a better AF in low light.
I can't see a reason having faster than 3-5 fps in a semi-pro camera, haven't sports photographers always taken good pictures? A good photographer knows when to take the picture. And I have not a single thing to complain about the IQ it's amazing!
I just say go Pentax ( ! ) for making such a good IQ camera but the AF is crap when I do club photography, and the ISO is questionable.
04-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Good Wisdom!

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There are the literary translation close to context and the translation close to text.
Wow, good wisdom here, Ogl!

Now, we have a Language sub-forum here at the PentaxForums! ;-D
04-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Looking at the detailed breakdown of the meaning above, and trying to get at the meaning and sacrificing some character-to-word accuracy, I'd go with:

"Heir of a Proud Heritage"

If there was an English equivalent brochure, I think this phrase would capture the essence of the Japanese version.
04-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by watchthewaves Quote
Looking at the detailed breakdown of the meaning above, and trying to get at the meaning and sacrificing some character-to-word accuracy, I'd go with:

"Heir of a Proud Heritage"

If there was an English equivalent brochure, I think this phrase would capture the essence of the Japanese version.
Not Correct! "Proud" is the Adj of the Noun "Pride". ;-D
04-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not Correct! "Proud" is the Adj of the Noun "Pride". ;-D
RH, you didn't understand what he said, he translated litteraly the words from Japanese to English.

Maybe the adjective will be necessary in English, I'm not in position of saying so but obviously I think he knows better than you if the word in question is in japanese a noun or an adjective. Don't you think?
04-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #45

wow this is fun to invstigate this stuff I hope its good becuse I will be saving money for it now