Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Well, I need to keep the sources of my information secret.. ;-)

Or keep it open and transparent, on the other hand, for what all my readers supply the links and the latest news at my Blog! :-D
no you don't.. Gossip columnist.. that's all you really are... Still waiting to find out the type of engineer you are...
Your ego, pride and stubbornness constantly defeat any credibility you achieve... sorry
You have no secret sources.. period. Oh yes, can't be proved because there "secret" LOL

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-23-2009 at 06:06 AM.
04-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vita Quote
RiceHigh's translation is wrong. As he says, it does look better, but that doesn't mean it's right. Plenty of advertising language sounds "clunky" when translated from Japanese to English. I'm a translator based in Nagoya.

First, it doesn't say "proud," which is an adjective, but "pride", a noun.

And it's not "pride of the successor", but the pride of RiceHigh's "renowned gear". Except it doesn't quite say "renowned gear", either. Word order and vocabulary are wrong.  

Breakdown:

名機の: Of a high-performance machine (rocket, airplane, etc); of a famous/great machine

誇り: Pride

を: Indicates direct object of action

受け継げる: To inherit; succeed

者: Person; -er; -ee (受け継げる者 = successor)

So there you go. Try not to criticize other people's translations when you're farther off yourself.
Thank you.. and I apologize. When a professional translator gets less respect that a linguistic "hack" it is a sad thing......
Not the first time nor the last that his translation is a little "bent".

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-23-2009 at 06:09 AM.
04-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Read it again dude - no unsubstantiated comments were made. I told you to link to any tests of gear you have conducted - as I said I have no idea what is on your site. How is this an "unsubstantiated comment". I realize you don't appreciate my sentiments but you need to read things carefully before firing off salvos. Perhaps if you were to also take some of your own advice here (about not making unsubstantiated claims) you would gain the respect of so many here who do not value your opinion?
Give it up. He will never listen. Been that way for 7 or so years... same tone, same garbage.. Still think t when the CEO of Pentax ignored his registered letter and he got slammed on dp review it kind of pushed him over the edge Pentax wise.Now that the "squeaky wheel" is getting some "traffic grease" it's just getting worse.... Save the head banging on the wall for me
04-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Why does Pentax announce product in Japanese ONLY???

Pentax has done this before, interviews and product announcements in japanese language only.

I got to tell you both Nikon & Canon understand they need to translate information concerning their product announcements. On their forums theres never a mad rush to interpret Japanese Info.

Does Pentax only care to sell to people who understand Japanese?

04-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Pentax has done this before, interviews and product announcements in japanese language only.

I got to tell you both Nikon & Canon understand they need to translate information concerning their product announcements. On their forums theres never a mad rush to interpret Japanese Info.

It's probably because they think that marketing speak like "heritage" and such are easier sells to Japanese, hence the myriad of limited-edition stuff they release/showcase there.

In any case, there's not much to the graphic, anyway, no specs, no nothing. Just a quote that doesn't say much about the camera in a practical sense. I don't mind that the graphic is Japanese-only. The only tangible thing we can grasp in the graphic is the announcement date, and it's right there, anyway.
04-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I think they should have marketing campaigns in other languages/countries. Let's wait and see if there will be any more leaks before the embargo ends. :-)
04-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Leaks versus leaks

Yeah, this is more of an official leak. Unofficial leaks from canon usually come from Netherlands when the ad agency they use are translating info to all languages. Nikon D5000 leak was pretty official, just pictures of a guy using a articulated viewscreen nikon dslr camera taken while filming a comercial.

I like the way the new Pentax top plate looks, heavy duty strap lugs, bigger prism. Until I see the screw drive fixture on mount I'll remain a bit curious about that.

Pentax would do well to have a 100% viewfinder or better yet like Oly E3 and have a bigger than 100% viewfinder.

5-21-09 is just around the corner.

Nice to see they put their crayons away ;^) and are bringing a better than K20D spec body to market.

Big prism & hefty strap lugs: Yummy

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think they should have marketing campaigns in other languages/countries. Let's wait and see if there will be any more leaks before the embargo ends. :-)

04-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

No nation gets close to hype like the Japanese.
I have known of queues in Harajuku, Tokyo when Japanese brand Neighbourhood had a collaboration shoe with Adidas released. They only had a reported 20 pairs, yet the queue was 1000 strong.
Even the Yakuza had hired homeless guys to get in-line so they could get them and sell them on-line for a tidy profit. I kid you not.

H&M opened its store in Tokyo last year. It was on TV with a countdown on the morning news. A reported 5000 people queued.

The limited releases of K20 Titanium and green K-m are in with Japanese obsession for limited releases and hype.

Believe me, it's cultural.
The poster is designed for the Japanese market in mind, but places like this do the job for others countries.
04-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
In any case, there's not much to the graphic, anyway, no specs, no nothing. Just a quote that doesn't say much about the camera in a practical sense. I don't mind that the graphic is Japanese-only. The only tangible thing we can grasp in the graphic is the announcement date, and it's right there, anyway.
Unless I have missed something, this "ad" has not been confirmed as coming from Pentax, has it ?
04-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Unless I have missed something, this "ad" has not been confirmed as coming from Pentax, has it ?
Absolutely not.
04-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Nothing official so far of course, but those look real!

Otherwise we won't have more than 100k postviews here since the last ten days! :-))
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #57
Inactive Account

I remember reading an article a few months back that even several months after the opening, H&M still had an hour wait to get INTO the store...

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
H&M opened its store in Tokyo last year. It was on TV with a countdown on the morning news. A reported 5000 people queued.

Believe me, it's cultural.
The poster is designed for the Japanese market in mind, but places like this do the job for others countries.
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #58

Is it for Japan only?

Pentax do have a habit of making specials just for the home market. could this be why no other language advert has been found?

Bill
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #59
Inactive Account

I asked my ex-wife who is Japanese to try and translate it for me. Her english is a little weak. So here goes...

the person who take over the pride of a fine article
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: April 2009
Please people, stop directing traffic to RH's blog. You are doing a disservice to Pentax.

Last edited by nosnoop; 04-23-2009 at 02:34 PM.