Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Wow, I've been lusting the olympus look for some time now and Pentax gave me exatcly just that.... Good job pentax Although I'm not likely to get this over a K20D though, if you consider the potential price ^^; Oh well, my K100D will still work after this camera is released... right?

04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Steve (and others): I am new to Pentax and have never used any film SLR's let alone the LX. I was just curious what attributes of the LX make it so endearing to so many long-time Pentaxians. I have seen several different threads where posters say they wish this next camera is a modern digital LX. Others (MX, KX) are mentioned but it seems that the LX is more revered? Anyone care to give some insight/history? Thanks...
The LX was Pentax's first true 'balls out' fully professional SLR, made to compete with the revered Nikon F3 and Canon F1. It had a rugged alloy body with sealed controls, durable, electronic/mechanical hybrid shutter, 4-1/2000th second speeds plus the auto-exposure which goes into the minutes with the off-the-film metering. TTL flash was integrated into the IDM meter.

In addition, it was a complete system, with changeable focusing screens, viewfinders, accessory grips, winders, motor drives (0.5 to 5 fps), battery packs, remote control units for interval shooting, etc.

Pentax had never attempted such professional body before (K2 and MX sort of close), and nothing since the LX has come close to realizing the dreams of a truly competitive, supported professional system.

It's not the holy grail, lacking an AE-lock button, the EV comp wheel has a lock, and dedicated flash locks sync@ 1/60th or so, which means no slow-sync without some extra hardware, and fill flash is hit and miss (scene must meter at least 1 stop below sync, no matter how backlit your subject). But at the time it was revolutionary.
04-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

for those who don't know :)

04-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
plus the auto-exposure which goes into the minutes with the off-the-film metering.
It's also worth mentioning that the sensitivity of that metering makes today's digital cameras look really stupid. The metering range goes all the way down to -6.5! I don't think any of today's DSLRS, even the pro ones, go below 0.

04-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The way I see it, AE lock makes no sense on a camera with off-the-film metering. The EV compensation lock button is not a problem for anyone with three or more fingers on their left hand. And who cares about flash? More important is that the LX was hands-down the prettiest camera ever made!
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

@Steve (and others): I am new to Pentax and have never used any film SLR's let alone the LX. I was just curious what attributes of the LX make it so endearing to so many long-time Pentaxians. I have seen several different threads where posters say they wish this next camera is a modern digital LX. Others (MX, KX) are mentioned but it seems that the LX is more revered? Anyone care to give some insight/history? Thanks...
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
The LX was Pentax's first true 'balls out' fully professional SLR, made to compete with the revered Nikon F3 and Canon F1. It had a rugged alloy body with sealed controls, durable, electronic/mechanical hybrid shutter, 4-1/2000th second speeds plus the auto-exposure which goes into the minutes with the off-the-film metering. TTL flash was integrated into the IDM meter.

In addition, it was a complete system, with changeable focusing screens, viewfinders, accessory grips, winders, motor drives (0.5 to 5 fps), battery packs, remote control units for interval shooting, etc.

Pentax had never attempted such professional body before (K2 and MX sort of close), and nothing since the LX has come close to realizing the dreams of a truly competitive, supported professional system.

It's not the holy grail, lacking an AE-lock button, the EV comp wheel has a lock, and dedicated flash locks sync@ 1/60th or so, which means no slow-sync without some extra hardware, and fill flash is hit and miss (scene must meter at least 1 stop below sync, no matter how backlit your subject). But at the time it was revolutionary.
CSoars has covered it pretty much. The allure of the LX (at least for me) was that it's a fully-professional body in a relatively light package. I wasn't around yet when the LX was first marketed, but I'm glad to be able to source one for myself recently. More amazing is how the metering system is still spot-on after all these years.
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
What if the prism is removable?

I've been thinking that if the LX is the inspiration, then it wouldn't be outa line to assume that the prism comes right off. That would explain the dramatic change in the prism/flash/viewfinder component. That would be too cool!

04-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Oh no, RuiC has been possessed by the spirit of WendyB
WOW... Put that away... vade retro tormented soul.
04-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
It's simply the most thoughtful camera ever built.

Rui
04-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Must.
Not.
Speculate.

Ah, what the heck. 8fps?
I said 8 frames, not fps.

Rui
04-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Csoars et. al : Thanks for the history. I can see why everyone is so excited or at least hopeful for the next Pentax model. Hope Pentax can deliver.

So far, my K10d has done just fine. Though, I do feel like I am becoming a more complete Pentaxian as I now hear myself saying I wish the metering and autofocus was updated.

@vitalsax: thanks for the photo! It is nice to actually see the LX.
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
I've been thinking that if the LX is the inspiration, then it wouldn't be outa line to assume that the prism comes right off. That would explain the dramatic change in the prism/flash/viewfinder component. That would be too cool!
I honestly wouldn't necessarily expect *that:* I think this almost certainly houses this new magnified prism design we've seen the patents for. It does look like the interchangeable finder concept has been pretty much dropped by the industry: too expensive, (lots of additional precision parts) and a lot of what you can do with them could be supplanted by Live View combined with electronics.
04-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

• The LX was equipped with dust proofing
  • The shutter would automatically work to 2 minute exposures
  • It was built like a tank
  • It had interchangeable viewfinders
  • Every speed from 1/75 (flash sync) up worked without batteries
  • The viewfinders were beyond excellent
  • 5 fps motor drive available
  • 2 fps winder available
  • 250 exposure magazine available
  • Strap lugs allowed for either top or left side straps
  • Exchangeable grips, including a wooden one you could carve to taste
  • Pentax professional was there for you (a la Nikon and Canon)
Every advert from those days has my drool on it.

The only flaw was "sticky mirror syndrome". I met a former pro (he is now a professional nature painter) and he got two in a row with this. The mirror would go up and stay up. It drove him from Pentax to Nikon.

There was an article in one of the photographic magazines highlighting a pro rodeo shooter who wore two LX's, one with a short zoom, the other a medium zoom, into the arena. He praised the dust proofing as the best in the business at the time.
04-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I met a former pro (he is now a professional nature painter) and he got two in a row with this. The mirror would go up and stay up. It drove him from Pentax to Nikon.
With respect, he was a fool! Sticky mirror syndrome is easily fixed, and once fixed, it stays fixed.
04-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
With respect, he was a fool! Sticky mirror syndrome is easily fixed, and once fixed, it stays fixed.
I know that, and you know that, but he seemed to be an impulsive sort of guy. He actually said that he threw the body at a garbage can. Pentax did an immediate replace under their professional service at the time, but the second one did the same thing after a short while. I wish I had been there - he had over a dozen top of the line lenses.