Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: On the 21st May the Pentax K7 will be...
Announced 11167.68%
Released 1710.37%
Released & I'll buy one 1710.37%
A big joke 1911.59%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 to be released on may 21st

Just a poll to see what you all think, and if you'd order one.

04-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I had the money, which I don't, I would get this camera ASAP. It already seems more appealing to me than any other DSLR in the market.

I said this in an earlier thread:
QuoteQuote:
I would really, really love it if they came out with a body made of metal and made to last -- a DSLR, at last, that feels like a piece of precision engineered quality and not like a piece of consumer electronics to be replaced every third year. Time is about mature for doing this, too. I understand that there used to be no sense in making super-sturdy DSLR's because the tech was still maturing, but APS-C technology is coming to a point where it's "good enough" that people like me won't need any more upgrades. The 14.6 MP CMOS sensor is good enough for any reasonable enthusiast use, so if they got this RIGHT and built it really durable-like it could be one of those "keep it for 20 years" bodies that used to be the norm back in the 70's.
This feels like a description of the camera that's coming. Very happy I went with the Pentax system considering the direction they seem to be heading now.
04-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
If I had the money, which I don't, I would get this camera ASAP. It already seems more appealing to me than any other DSLR in the market.
Same here. Which means I'll never own one.
04-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I said this in an earlier thread:
I would really, really love it if they came out with a body made of metal and made to last -- a DSLR, at last, that feels like a piece of precision engineered quality and not like a piece of consumer electronics to be replaced every third year. Time is about mature for doing this, too. I understand that there used to be no sense in making super-sturdy DSLR's because the tech was still maturing, but APS-C technology is coming to a point where it's "good enough" that people like me won't need any more upgrades. The 14.6 MP CMOS sensor is good enough for any reasonable enthusiast use, so if they got this RIGHT and built it really durable-like it could be one of those "keep it for 20 years" bodies that used to be the norm back in the 70's.

This feels like a description of the camera that's coming. Very happy I went with the Pentax system considering the direction they seem to be heading now.
Why do you think this camera is made of anything else then the usual plastic?

04-23-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. The problem is that back then, we could get better films to improve your photos... on the other hand, cameras did get new features over the years, but still I didn't see the need for exchanging my LX with an autofocus film camera when they got common.

Still, I think that in 20 years we will have cameras so unbelievably different from today's cameras that shooting with a camera like the "K7" will just be something you do for fun and good memories.
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Why do you think this camera is made of anything else then the usual plastic?
The metal is not the point. I think it's probably a metal chassis with plastic on top, like the K20D. The point is that a camera used to not feel like an amorphous blob of "consumer electronics". Plastic cameras can be very durable, so whatever.
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I personally think they will announce it and maybe have a few previews in mags and on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ, I just want one now! I just hope they don't keep us waiting too long for them. I'd love to be able to test this out at gigs etc and have one for the summer for my festival shoots etc. It'd be perfect!!

But maybe we'll be able to preorder them from the announcement day I just hope they don't run out of stock as quick as the Canon 5d mk II did :S - There's a lot of interest in this new camera!

04-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The metal is not the point. I think it's probably a metal chassis with plastic on top, like the K20D. The point is that a camera used to not feel like an amorphous blob of "consumer electronics". Plastic cameras can be very durable, so whatever.
A metal frame with a more or less easily replacaeable outer plastic shell would be the strongest combination... If the outer shell breaks it would absorb energy from bumps, drops and whatever that would otherwise be transmitted to the electronics inside.
Also pastic is somewhat more flexible. You are much better off with a plastic housing that does not bend out of shape... I mean if you have all metal and there is a small "bend"in the metal exterior, it might ruin the sealing, or prevent latches from opening or closing
04-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

True, metal isn’t the best material for the shell. Despite that it does scream “high quality” more than the usual plastic.
04-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It's all part of the master plan, I bet. Seed the Pentax world with a generation of DA Limited lens followed by a camera body that matches the look and feel perfectly.

The Limiteds look good on the K20D, but my guess is the K7 will have a more 'mechanical' look that goes with the cool, metallic looks of the lenses.
04-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #11

All this confidentiality around the K7 makes me think it's either a really big step ahead, or simply a cover for a really bad joke...

To be honest, I believe that if Pentax had a "winning camera", they would show it to the world.
The fact that they didn't - makes me wait for the new camera just to see if the price of the K20D will drop even lower than the current price...
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
All this confidentiality around the K7 makes me think it's either a really big step ahead, or simply a cover for a really bad joke...

To be honest, I believe that if Pentax had a "winning camera", they would show it to the world.
The fact that they didn't - makes me wait for the new camera just to see if the price of the K20D will drop even lower than the current price...
This is "viral marketing". "Leaking" blurry photos and vague information creates much more of a buzz than if they would come right out and say "hey, you know what, here's our new camera, have this 15 mp jpeg that shows its every feature in crystal clear detail, hope you like it".

They are going to show the camera on the 21st of May. Right now, they're working at getting people excited for their new product before launch, and since there are about 500 threads in this forum alone, it appears to be working.
04-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #13

of course, but all I'm saying is that usualy you need these kind of "tricks" and "viral marketing" - when you have no "real case" in your hands.

If they really had something special, that will blown away the world, trust me - they were not so discrete and mysterious about it.

I still have my fingers crossed for a D300-like camera, though
04-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is "viral marketing". "Leaking" blurry photos and vague information creates much more of a buzz than if they would come right out and say "hey, you know what, here's our new camera, have this 15 mp jpeg that shows its every feature in crystal clear detail, hope you like it".

They are going to show the camera on the 21st of May. Right now, they're working at getting people excited for their new product before launch, and since there are about 500 threads in this forum alone, it appears to be working.
Exactly my thinking too.
Still so little info on it, and now a reasonably decent front-on photo.
More than enough to keep us eager...eager probably being an understatement.
I won't be in a position to afford one, but can't wait to have a go in the shop.

As for the poll, my guess is they will announce it officially.
04-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm basically in agreement about the "viral marketing" creating a bigger buzz. HOWEVER, I don't think they can sustain that buzz for another whole month.