Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I like it, it is def staying on my to buy list. I can't wait until June 1!
I just need a really big tax return this year Mr Jones... DA 15mm ltd, DA* 60-250mm and then there is that Camera in my weird dreams of late... K7... to fight of the angry pack of 5D MKII's & D700's with..

04-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I already got and spent my tax return, and none of it went on camera gear. I got enough back to get the DA15LTD, DA70LTD and the DA*60-250mm... but I couldn't buy them. I had to buy something more important.
04-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
The bokor looks very odd in the upper part?!?!
It's a very wide rectilinear lens, and that means it needs to "stretch" the image in the corners in order to keep straight lines appearing as straight. I'm guessing that's why corner bokeh looks the way it does.
04-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Doesn't explain why the bokeh in that picture looks so... harsh, busy, and really an eyesore. Not something I'd expect out of a limited, even if it is a DA limited.

04-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nyu3 Quote
Doesn't explain why the bokeh in that picture looks so... harsh, busy, and really an eyesore. Not something I'd expect out of a limited, even if it is a DA limited.
No different then the nikon faster version.. $1719 US street..... some people are never happy.
BTW: if they would have increased CA I bet the bokeh would be better.. then we could discuss that... All lenses are compromises.. at least the affordable ones..
just food for thought.
Large image, and thanks to Klaus at www.photozone.de
http://www.pzimages.com/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_14_28/samples/DSC_6858-01.jpg
04-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Really a jewel of a little lens.

Here are a couple of full-sized quick snaps taken with a pre-production sample at PMA: at f/4 & at f/9
04-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem of almost 90% of first DA15 is decentered.
All photos which I saw say the same and Dpreview says

Our test sample was also slightly decentered too

Low quality control?

04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
I have the 12-24 and the review said it was sharper than the 15mm. I don't know if I could get rid of it...though I would love to own small, limited Pentax primes. Looking forward to what other reviews (and users) have to say.
I'm in the same boat as you. I love my 12-24, but I wish I had the 15 ltd. for it's size and sexyness. It's like a mini 35 ltd.
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Regardless what DPR says about the lens, I found my own experience that often clashes with the so-called technical opinion.

I just received my own copy Da 15 today. Cannot wait to play around with me.
04-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Regardless what DPR says about the lens, I found my own experience that often clashes with the so-called technical opinion.

That's great! Can't wait to see your real world testing shots. Don't really care too much about those tech reviews. I love the lens: small and light, super built quality, built-in hood. Let's see if I can justify to own both the DA 1224 and this gem ...
04-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Great, James. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Jer
04-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Something about the word "Limited" etched on the lens makes me want it!
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
dbh
Inactive Account

Didn't read the review, probably won't bother. 2 weeks ago I headed out on a motorcycle trip and stopped in Calgary at the Camera Store for a small tripod to carry with me. They had this lens in stock so I bought one and ended up taking hundreds of photos with it on my K20D during my ride through Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon etc. Got back yesterday.
IMHO there is no visible distortion, excellent flare resistance, and the detail it captures is frankly incredible. 95% of my nearly 700 photos were shot with either the 15mm or the 70mm, the remainder with the 35mm macro. Whichever lens was not on the camera was in its pouch in my pocket. My only beef with the 15mm is the screw-on cap which is a bit of a bother to remove/replace with gloves on and/or while shivering.
--
dbh
04-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
go for the 14mm f/2.8 instead.
Good question why pentax made a soo close lens to waht they already had when i'm dying here for and 85mm or 105mm or 135mm?
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The problem of almost 90% of first DA15 is decentered.
All photos which I saw say the same and Dpreview says

Our test sample was also slightly decentered too

Low quality control?
If you paid attention to Klaus at photozone you would end up believing all WA from any brand are slightly to severely decentered. A perfectly centered lens is rare...
Not to mention in lens SR is by definition decentering....
EDIT: Since telling the truth is a sure way to get yourself a fanboy title I guess I'm guilty.. It's tough when you actually go out of the box and see the other side and realize it's all pretty much the same...... not that some Pentax issues may be more than others in certain areas... see I said it out loud!!! Heavens
how about Erwin Puts (warning more reality ahead)
All this sophisticated equipment and statistically controlled computer analysis can not guarantee that the results are relevant for two reasons: the camera is still manually aligned in front of the test board and here we see a remarkable phenomenon: the results for decentring of a lens are impossibly high: they find on average a decentring between 8% and 15%. This is measured as the difference between the performances measured at the edges of the image. But it is almost impossible by visual inspection to align a camera absolutely plane parallel in front of a test plane. This observation is not intended as critique: I think the people at Image Engineering do an excellent job. This story is only told here to give an indication of how easily it is to make errors in testing and how large the effort has to be to control the inevitable tolerances in test equipment and procedures.

The second problem is the manufacturing process: however good a company and is quality control, there has to be some allowance for manufacturing tolerances. A margin of plus/minus 5% is really excellent in consumer electronic products and cameras.

Tolerances

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-29-2009 at 12:11 PM.