Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know what I love most about the K7D....

The BUZZ that it is creating.... that is exactly what Pentax needed. The mysterious way in which they are promoting it. Leaking blurrred images, realistic yet sketchy specs. Making everyone think it's something totally different right off the back to hush the moans of possible disappointment by stating up front that is it NOT a successor camera. I like this a lot.

Could this is the WOW product that I was asking for?

04-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree, the introduction of this new "camera" not a succession model is rather unique, unlike the Canikon introduction of new models. I won't be chasing new models, but I like that approach as well.
04-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Agreed. I got a little giggle today as I read the latest Engadget blurb about the K7, not so much the article but the comments posted. It seems that "those in the know" seem to always respect Pentax as an enthusiast's brand, so when they do something a little outside the box people show a bit of respect without dismissing it outright. Most ~1000 dslrs are there to fill a gap in the company's product line between low end plastic dslr toys and pro gear. The stuff from pentax isnt on the market to just fill a gap between p&s and pro DSLRs. I think this new camera will be a very nice one.
04-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't see it creating buzz at all, no to the general public at least. Only pentaxians are paying attention.

04-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Why all the need for upgrading on a yearly basis? This goes for any camera manufacturer, not just Pentax. I'd rather see innovation over marketing. Low and mid-range dSLRs have now made their way down to the level of P&S cameras that get pumped out at a ridiculous rate. Need, want, need, want ...sad society. ...ok, I'm done, when are they making a true digital back for my Super Program? I want one. ;-)
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Upgrades generate revenue which pay for R&D which funds innovation which boosts sales which builds marketshare which prolongs longevity.

Why do poeple scorn progress... It's called CAPITOLISM! If there wasn't a DEMAND for it, it wouldn't be the norm.
04-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I don't see it creating buzz at all, no to the general public at least. Only pentaxians are paying attention.
Dave,
it could be that the USA is not in the Pentax mainstream as to camera reaction.

Phil

04-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
ogl
Banned

The design and ergonomics of K-7 is really cool.
04-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay, the funniest part of this whole thing is that everybody's calling it the K7.

Who was it who came up with this? I swear it was somebody on this board saying "they should call it the K7, it'd be like LX upside down" (er... yeah, if you kick in the X) and then in freaking stuck!

Don't think a marketing dept. would ever think that way, but funny nonetheless that it's now treated as the "official code name!"
04-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
ogl
Banned

The true name K-7. Not K7D or K7.
04-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The BUZZ that it is creating.... that is exactly what Pentax needed. The mysterious way in which they are promoting it.
Could this is the WOW product that I was asking for?
Correct the name of camera, please. K-7.
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Well, K minus 7 equals D. K-7D.
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The design and ergonomics of K-7 is really cool.
Yes, it looks like it would feel right, handle well, feel very solid in the hand. If they improved the AF speed and general responsiveness, it could be an addicting little camera to shoot.

I really can't wait to see/hear more.
04-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Dave,
it could be that the USA is not in the Pentax mainstream as to camera reaction.

Phil
I think that is true...but it might be the area of the US you live in. Here on the west coast of Canada, we have a heavy exposure to Asia. No...Pentax isn't as big as Nikon and Canon, but I noticed the rack in the local camera store for Pentax has grown again the past couple of months to be as large as Sonys. I was worried about Pentax a couple of months ago, but the "m" seems to be doing OK.....
04-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Okay, the funniest part of this whole thing is that everybody's calling it the K7.

Who was it who came up with this? I swear it was somebody on this board saying "they should call it the K7, it'd be like LX upside down" (er... yeah, if you kick in the X) and then in freaking stuck!

Don't think a marketing dept. would ever think that way, but funny nonetheless that it's now treated as the "official code name!"
Isn't the story that the Hoya transplant who is now the Marketing Director loves K7, the mountain - climbed it once or something - and associates that experience with the whole rugged, outdoor, weather-resistant enthusiast, interesting camera meme?

For some oddball reason I will be disappointed if it is hyphenated.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Well, K minus 7 equals D. K-7D.
That is just too sublime to be a coincidence.