Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Wait. There are 2 DSLR in the works.
I don't know anything, but it smells to me as if Hoya is going to bomb the entire DSLR industry over the next 12 months and make Pentax a positive contributor to their bottom line.
  • WR / WS releases of classic FA designs (full-coverage image circle)
  • 645D - same story on lenses
  • ILX-d FF body using K-7/K-x electronics and ergonomics
Proof? I have none. But it is clear
  • the K-7 changed direction about this time last year (spread 645/FF R&D over a larger volume product)
  • the "Viral Marketing" program of directed teaser leaks is intentional (K-7 photos; 645D manual pressplate cover; D-FA 100/2.8 Macro, plus reference to covering a film image circle in offical press release; "faked DA* 400/4 photo)
  • the Lens Roadmap disappeared last spring
  • Lens prices immediately started rising as a policy decision, not due to currency fluctuation, extracting a huge return from sunk R&D costs (used to finance future R&D).
  • Pentax is incrementally improving components in rolling model introductions, which maximizes return on R&D budget by using cash flow from one improvement to finance the next.
    • K-7 many upgrades but IQ retains K20D level sensor
    • K-x upgrades senspr and ISO capability
    • K-7S (Super) will upgrade sensor and autofocus?
  • Slight stirrings of advertising in targeted print publications; negotiating with dpreview and banner advertising; banner advertising on photo.net; JCPentax posting here; Ned posting here.
These are the actions of a company with a long view. Benjamin Franklin called compound interest the eighth wonder of the world. Honda has, over the last 50 years, employed a doctrine of constant improvement to gradually establish itself as a quiet, dependable car brand with extremely loyal customers. The power of constant, gradual improvement and engineering brilliance will eventually destroy hollow marketing ploys (who cares what camera Justin what's-his-name uses). Think of it as compound interest - pun intended.

I am cautiously excited about the future for Pentax. I think I see a hint of their strategy, and it can work over time. I've most certainly missed some indicators, and likely empress relevance onto coincidences somewhere.

But I tire of our constant harping that whatever they do is wrong or bad decision or not what we need today. We all thought it was so funny that the D-FA 100/2.8 must be real because only Pentax could make such an illogical decision as to re-release an already exiting lens - then we laughed again when we were right. Well, maybe they made a somewhat inferior macro a better lens - wait and see.

.Let them play it out and accept what they do. Use the product if it is useful to you; don't if it isn't; and stop buggering everything they do because it isn't what you wanted right now.

My 3c

Last edited by monochrome; 12-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
12-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #62
Nubi

Wait. There are 2 DSLRs in the works and 5 lenses? I mean 4, now that DFA 100 mcr is out.... I wonder if they ever think about reviving SLR for film . . . . . :ugh:
12-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FF DSLR will have "F" in the name.
12-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I wonder if they ever think about reviving SLR for film . . . . . :ugh:
actually, that would be really great! if priced reasonably, at least...

12-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The FF DSLR will have "F" in the name.
The FF DSLR will also have a "P" in the name...
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I have to agree with Paul's statement above. The K-7 and K-x have rocked the industry. There are plenty of things I want NOW but like some folks on here (Lowell Goudge, Ron Boggs), it just might take a few years or decades to piece together the ideal kit.

In the mean time, I'll continue to use my meager kit...buy/sell/trade on a whim or as I see fit.

I would finish with a cool statement like "if you'll excuse me, I have pictures to take" but it's literally too dangerous to be outside for more than a couple minutes right now with wind chills well below 0F :ugh:

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
The FF DSLR will also have a "P" in the name...
Going out on a limb here...might there also be an "x" somewhere?
12-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #67
Nubi

Would a removable full frame sensor that can be switched to a 35 mm film format be nice??

12-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #68
Banned

Would a removable full frame sensor that can be switched to a 35 mm film format be nice??
Why would anyone want that ? My 35mm and 6x7 Pentax SLRs have been in storage since I purchased my Pentax DS2 in 2005.
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #69
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Why would anyone want that ? My 35mm and 6x7 Pentax SLRs have been in storage since I purchased my Pentax DS2 in 2005.
Really?? I like shooting films sometimes. I love shooting with my Contax ST . . . .
12-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
literally too dangerous to be outside for more than a couple minutes right now with wind chills well below 0F :ugh:

It's 38c here today Id prefer your weather!
12-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
It's 38c here today Id prefer your weather!
That is a trade I will gladly take!
12-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
i would gladly snatch that 6×7 from your storage, and roll few films through it.

while i really like digital cameras, i'm in love with medium format, every single photo is amazingly great, and all i got is simple Yashica Mat 124G.
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Sure there is another SLR in the works.What, is Pentax going to pack up it's bat and ball and go home?You've done well in getting this amount of reation to your thread.Can you tell us again what the new DSLR will be called and when it's going to be released?????
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #74

There is an upcoming DSLR at Pentax, Hoya did hint about it earlier this year.

It should be available mid or late 2010, and it will probably be in the style and size of the K-7, but with lower features: plastic body, 95% coverage viewfinder, 3.5 fps, etc. It should have tough weather seals like the K20D and K-7, though.

I also suspect it will have a new sensor (not Samsung, but maybe not Sony either), better video and Liveview and better high ISO performance.

But all this is theory.
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #75
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
There is an upcoming DSLR at Pentax, Hoya did hint about it earlier this year.

It should be available mid or late 2010, and it will probably be in the style and size of the K-7, but with lower features: plastic body, 95% coverage viewfinder, 3.5 fps, etc. It should have tough weather seals like the K20D and K-7, though.

I also suspect it will have a new sensor (not Samsung, but maybe not Sony either), better video and Liveview and better high ISO performance.

But all this is theory.

Squeezing in another DSLR between K-7 and K-x does not make a whole lot of sense to me, but maybe that is just me. To some people, it is already becoming more or less a toss up between K-7 and K-x. I think that the new camera will be placed between K-7 and 645D, closer to K-7 than it so 645D, of course. It has to be FF, although Pentax has repeatedly denied it. In some Japanese photography magazines they have admitted that they of course had looked at the possibility of it, but they had no actual, detailed plan, or so they said when K-7 came out. Personally, I think that is a full of crap. If a company is entertaining FF market, and then I think that the timing is EVERYTHING, and I suspect that the reduction in the cost of manufacturing is the main issue. Technically, I realize that it is not as simple as sticking a larger sensor in K-y body, but they have retained enough know-how from 645D project that hurdles are lower than it seems. Also, I am sure that they will come up with a scheme or two to make DA lenses useable (perhaps not ideally compatible) with FF sensor.