Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Pentax is playing with us? -- reality check, please

Hello, My name is Brian. I've been trying to understand what I've been reading here about the rumored features for the K-7. This is my first post here. However, I will not be offended if you shoot down the premise of this post stated in my first point below. I'm asking for a reality check.

:: 1. We accept the sharp professionally laid out poster "PENTAX New k 2009 5 21_" seen at the beginning of the thread "K7D on May 21st" as real, and yet it was not, as is usual with these teasers, posted on the company web site, but just tossed out on the internet? Am I missing something? No one is linking to the Pentax K-7 teaser site, and I couldn't find it on the Pentax web site. If true this means Pentax is using back-channels to promote this new camera and suggests that they may be leaking some of the specs as well.

:: 2. If point #1 is true then Pentax committed to using back-channels to promote the new camera and may be leaking specs then they are doing it for a reason. This is my guess as to what they are doing.

Pentax is leaking spec sheets that do not contain the one big Wow! feature on the new camera, so that they can dampen the expectations, and have a big splash on May 21st. This would explain why seemingly very well connected sources provide a fine upgrade without an unprecedented new camera feature. This keeps in check the rumors of something unexpected that keep circulating.

:: 3. What reason do we have to expect/hope that Pentax will come through with something as startling as the K10D was with its inexpensive weather proofing?

:::::: 3a. Expectations have been set high by Pentax's announcement that they would not continue the K20d series and the DA lens series and come up with a new line of cameras and a new line of lenses.

:::::: 3b. If the guy (Yvon Bourque) behind this blog is on the level and has signed an NDA -- PENTAX DSLRs then he knows the specs on the camera and has no reason to add this line to his April 24th post unless there is something big coming:

"Some new Pentax proprietary technology, not found on any other DSLR at any price, may also be unveil with this new DSLR."

:: 4. The only features I've seen discussed here that are unprecedented are the square sensor and the EVF overlay on the optical finder. You could have the EVF without the square sensor, but not the other way around.

:::::: 4a. A square sensor would close to double the mega-pixel count while keeping the high ISO noise and dynamic range exactly the same. What a brilliant hack! However, it would probably make it impossible for Pentax to increase their frame and burst rate unless you could crop the square and only use the standard rectangular frame.

:::::: 4b. And Pentax must increase their burst rate to stay competitive so you have to be able to crop the square sensor. In order to have a workable square sensor you would need the EVF overlay to see whether you were shooting full square frame or landscape or portrait standard APS-c frame. So, this incredible combination of features could possibly come true. It certainly would be literally outside the box -- or rather outside the rectangle or the standard DSLR- frame.

-------
Well, that was my trying to come to terms with what I've read here. What am I missing?

Brian
Portland, OR
rivertext's gallery- powered by SmugMug

04-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This has been an example of viral marketing. Pentax did well here.

As for the "big thing" this camera has, I have given up the hope that it will be a square sensor. Why sell a gripe to a square sensor camera?

EVF overlay in an optical viewfinder is not that new. Nikon had it in the D80 for grid lines you could turn on and off. I doubt this is the "Pentax tech not found on any camera at any price".

All of the best info up to this time, point to an APS-C sensor that is improved over the K20D, but not entirely new tech.
04-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In a nutshell...

It will have faster AF, AF assist lamp, and HD movie ability. It may also have more aggressive NR by default in order to mimic the D90/D300 high-ISO look that got so many rave reviews.

Other than that (and those are actually biggies, IMO) IQ from this camera will probably be on par with the existing K20D.

I might possibly get one near the end of the summer, depending on reviews and my level of weakness then.

04-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dude this is the greatest marketing hype for any camera this year, the whole world is actually waiting to see what pentax does next, imagine that!!

Now my only issue is the more aggressive nr, we are hoping it's sensor based improvemnts and nor a higher default setting, which would actually suck.

04-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

PENTAX ESPAA

There you go. Official countdown.

I want me a square sensor.
04-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote

:::::: 3b. If the guy (Yvon Bourque) behind this blog is on the level and has signed an NDA -- PENTAX DSLRs then he knows the specs on the camera and has no reason to add this line to his April 24th post unless there is something big coming:

"Some new Pentax proprietary technology, not found on any other DSLR at any price, may also be unveil with this new DSLR."
What if it's something stupid like face recognition or something similar, usually not found on any other DSLR...
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
What if it's something stupid like face recognition or something similar, usually not found on any other DSLR...
In a supposedly traditional dslr , sure that would be a first

04-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Face recognition is actually very helpful if you're a portrait photographer
04-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I believe the latest Canon and Nighkon have it.
04-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I believe the latest Canon and Nighkon have it.
Presumably only in live view mode (in combination with contrast-detection AF). Can't really do it with traditional AF systems. Therefore, having it in non-live view would imply an innovative focus system... and, well, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by mattdm; 04-26-2009 at 04:54 AM.
04-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Presumably only in live view mode (in combination with contrast-detection AF). Can't really do it with traditional AF systems. Therefore, having it in non-live view would imply aninnovative focus system... and, well, I'm not holding my breath.
There'd really be no point. Live view has it, and it's merely a tertiary feature. Not worth investing anything into it.
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote

Now my only issue is the more aggressive nr, we are hoping it's sensor based improvemnts and nor a higher default setting, which would actually suck.

It's going to have the same sensor as the K20D, NR will be the only path to 'less' noise this iteration.

This isn't a knock - NR done really well is a good thing.

04-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It's going to have the same sensor as the K20D, NR will be the only path to 'less' noise this iteration.

This isn't a knock - NR done really well is a good thing.

Even if the sensor is the same, the circuitry around it could have changed.
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pre-production K20D had weaker AA filter than serial cameras.
04-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Dude this is the greatest marketing hype for any camera this year, the whole world is actually waiting to see what pentax does next, imagine that!!
The "whole forum".......maybe. The "whole world".......hardly. I must admit that Pentax is doing a good job building the drama on this camera, but in all reality I think the only people holding their breath are computer savvy Pentax users.