Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
After all, the eyes are windows to the soul.
Very well thought out -- pure brilliance!

But I still say it's the strap lugs.

05-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
which message ? yours "This is pro territory" ?
Take from it what you will. I'm tired of having to use small words to describe simple concepts to people who are deliberately obtuse.
05-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #228

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, I think Phillips removed themselves from sensor production after the Contax fiasco.
Correct. They scrapped their whole department. And I would call it a Contax/Pentax fiasco.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I think only Canon and Kodak did FF sensors when Phillips flamed-out, and of course, Canon would never sell their sensors. Probably Pentax approached Kodak with an intent to buy their sensors, but thought Kodak's price for them was too high.

Those Kodak sensors, if I recall correctly, weren't anywhere good over ISO 400, anyway, and Kodak's pro DSLRs didn't seem to get much traction (of course, as a result of other issues aside from the sensor).

I could be mistaken with what I remember, though, so please feel free to correct me.
No, no-one did. The first FF DSLR was the Contax N-Digital, which as many have mentioned before had the same sensor as the cancelled Pentax K-1 (aka MZ-D, aka MR-52). The Canon 1D had a 1.3X sensor and the Kodak DCS series had a variety of sensors - none was FF.
Real FF DSLRs appeard in 2002 whith the Kodak DCS Pro 14n, and the Canon 1Ds. By that time Pentax had scrapped the MZ-D project and the Contax N-D was already discontinued as most stock was unsold.

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Yes...and I don't thing the low ISO pictures from the Contax were bad in comparison with the competition in that time.
Contax had a base ISO setting of 25 which was rather clear but not really usable. ISO 100 was noisier than competition and at slow speeds it was too noisy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They may indeed have, but Pentax managed to get the sensor to actually work. In fact, Contax asked Pentax for "help" but Pentax declined. The "K-1", which I think is the prototype name - it was to be called MD-S, was so close to production before it was axed that the tooling for it had begun. They "wasted" $20.000.000 on the project!
No they never got the sensor to work. Not better than Contax anyway. Kyocera (Contax's mother company) was a far bigger company than Pentax, and had far more resources at the time. They took two years after announcing the product to actually producing it which means a lot of research. Yet the product was of inferior IQ and it failed to sell, bringing the entire division down with it.

I don't know how much money was spent, but I'm sure it was not all wasted. Pentax went on to produce a DSLR after all. I'm sure a lot was learnt in the process.

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
And just imagine that Pentax should get the software right...and used the right RAW software....and market it right.
Then was Pentax the first of the big-four manufactors who did Full-Frame and they could be now no.1/2...
But if if is nothing
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect if the K1 had gone into production, we'd all be on some Canon forum discussing the best way to convert our lens mounts about now.
Most likely, if Pentax had released MZ-D (K-1 is a famous mixed martial arts tournament and it's unlikely they would keep the name), we would all be talking in some Canikon forum as Pentax would have been no more.

It was the right choice for Pentax to cancel the product. Even Kodak, the undisputed DSLR pioneer was forced to leave the market after a couple of mediocre products. And consider that compared to Pentax, Kodak was a real giant and their cameras were not THAT bad after all.
If Pentax had spent all it's capital on the MZ-D it would be drained of finances within a year and it would be impossible to produce a viable successor. In short, game over. Thankfully, this did not happen.
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
Most likely, if Pentax had released MZ-D (K-1 is a famous mixed martial arts tournament and it's unlikely they would keep the name), we would all be talking in some Canikon forum as Pentax would have been no more.

It was the right choice for Pentax to cancel the product. Even Kodak, the undisputed DSLR pioneer was forced to leave the market after a couple of mediocre products. And consider that compared to Pentax, Kodak was a real giant and their cameras were not THAT bad after all.
If Pentax had spent all it's capital on the MZ-D it would be drained of finances within a year and it would be impossible to produce a viable successor. In short, game over. Thankfully, this did not happen.
Thanks for clearing up much of FF DSLR history for me.

I agree with you that it might have been hard for Pentax to pick itself up had they released a horribly flawed MZ-D. Aside from the sunk R&D costs, any succeeding model from Pentax would be looked upon by consumers with suspicion. I'm okay with how Pentax has managed, so far. But I'm speaking from a hobbyist's point of view, and I do understand other people have greater photographic needs than I do.