Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Okay Ned B has practically ruled out 35mm FF, I will happily settle for 1.1x crop. Howzat?

Seriously though, I reckon a 1.2x crop with 1.5x voluntary setting per lens and K20d+30% price would be a very very tempting compromise.

04-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #167
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
The main issue is the performance of Pentax FA lenses on FF.

On APSC, several prime FA* and LTD lenses have worse edge performance wide open than the 16-50. How is that performance likely to improve on FF?

Very easy.
Put FAJ18-35/4-5.6 at 5D and you will see...
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Well, I have a 5D and a K20D, and I can assure you that almost all of my old FF lenses (and I own quite a few lenses, like SMC Takumars (24 up to 200mm), Carl Zeiss Jenas) are doing quite well on FF. I have not noticed weak corners on any of my pictures. But maybe that's because of my shooting style, as I almost never take photos at infinity, and never choose architecture as a subject, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it.

Would I say someting stupid if I say that I'm under the impression that the FF lenses I own work better on the 5D than on the K20D (yes, I know the 5D has less resolution than the K20D).
Don't be too harsh on yourself, you just probably have a failling eyesight, it's normal after a certain age... I must be experiencing similar problems...

No amount of actual experience of using Pentax 24x36 lenses on FF will do... the Truth has been spoken: Pentax lenses aren't up to the task. Better get along with it, even if you have countless shots that you find quite OK... it's just a question of you having low standards.

Anyway, did you spend enough time measurbating your gear?... didn't think so!

If you're not able to produce a complete set of brick wall tests shots (preferably with direct comparisons with corresponding DA lenses on K-7), what value does your experience carry...?

Anyway, your 5D is now obsolete and that's probably the reason it's performing acceptably with old glass: better drop it all in the trashbin as I just did.
04-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Okay Ned B has practically ruled out 35mm FF, I will happily settle for 1.1x crop. Howzat? .
He ruled it out short term.

Seriously though, I reckon a 1.2x crop with 1.5x voluntary setting per lens and K20d+30% price would be a very very tempting compromise
That wouldn't change the problem, if most modern Pentax lenses are not 1.2x crop compatible (and they are not) the problem is not much solved.

04-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #170
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of hoolabaloo about this K-7 everywhere now...
I want to see it in the flesh!
Isn't it 21st of may yet, dammit?!?
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay Ned B has practically ruled out 35mm FF, I will happily settle for 1.1x crop. Howzat?

Seriously though, I reckon a 1.2x crop with 1.5x voluntary setting per lens and K20d+30% price would be a very very tempting compromise.
The practical limit for sensor size, unless in body SR is dropped, is probably somewhere in the 20x32mm range to allow the best possible corner coverage with legacy glass.
What this works out to as a multiplier, I don't know.
The advantage that soynikanon has with full frame is that they aren't using camera body SR.
For myself, I think Pentax has taken the right path with their shake reduction method (I like having 50 lenses with SR).
It doesn't alter the fact that most of the DA lenses don't cover the 35mm format, so a new lens line would be required anyway.
They can't really sell a camera body without glass to go along with it.
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Sony has 'SR' with FullFRame tought IMO it is gimmick marketing claim.

04-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The advantage that soynikanon has with full frame is that they aren't using camera body SR.
Sony has in body SR for FF (A900)

Super Steady Shot with Full Frame Sensors
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony has 'SR' with FullFRame tought IMO it is gimmick marketing claim.
do not forget that Sony has different mechanism for SR vs Pentax... if Pentax can't stabilize heavier and bigger FF sensor the way APS-C sensor is stabilized, that's their problem - they need to buy a patent(s) from Sony.
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
do not forget that Sony has different mechanism for SR vs Pentax... if Pentax can't stabilize heavier and bigger FF sensor the way APS-C sensor is stabilized, that's their problem - they need to buy a patent(s) from Sony.
I have no read official info on that so until proven it is rumour.
Sony has 'SR' but if I remember well, it goes as far as 0.5-1 EV with FF lens. A gimmick.
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony has in body SR for FF (A900)

Super Steady Shot with Full Frame Sensors
I hadn't realized Sony had put SR into a full frame body.
Any reports of how the corner performance is with older Minolta glass? This would be the benchmark I'd be interested in.

If they are releasing new glass with an increased image circle to make it work that's something, they don't have Pentax's backwards compatability albatross that might prevent them from releasing a technology that doesn't cut it.
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any reports of how the corner performance is with older Minolta glass? This would be the benchmark I'd be interested in.

If they are releasing new glass with an increased image circle to make it work that's something, they don't have Pentax's backwards compatability albatross that might prevent them from releasing a technology that doesn't cut it.
Look at the 35/1.4 Sony re-released recently... have a good laugh
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Look at the 35/1.4 Sony re-released recently... have a good laugh
Links? I'm doing my income tax today, I could use a laugh....
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax have FF stabilization patents from years back. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is paying Pentax for its use....
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
sony 35mm 1.4 - Google Product Search

~1,369.99USD...