Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

B&H waiting for the k7!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I could not find any K20d in stock whatsoever, even the kit is gone now. I think the new camera will be on shelf sooner than some might believe.

04-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No I think this is the K20D selling for $670 or $750 in a kit that has it sold out
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that K20D is marked Out of Stock, not Discontinued.
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
just checked at adorama too.

Nada, zip, nothing!!! coincidence?

04-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Nada, zip, nothing!!! coincidence?
I seriously doubt ALL the K20D's in the world have been cleared out of every Pentax warehouse.

I have $750 in my PayPal account and the plan was to upgrade to the K20D and sell the K10D for a couple hundred. Do you really think B&H and Adorama would intentionally and anti-competitively forego that sale? I can't be the only one!

If so, maybe I should just keep shooting the K10D and get a Used With Box K20 on the Forum - or maybe I should just wait ANOTHER year and get the K7 when the street price normalizes. Or wait until year-end when the K20 replacement appears.
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

amazon has lots of K20Ds as do many other stores. B&H is only sold out due to that $670 sale.

Actually Amazon is down to 3 K20D bodies but has kits left, once again they say more coming soon. This is only due to the price, I mean think about it, a weather sealed camera with it's known performance at $670? everyone is jumping on it.
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Not sold out here either. My guess is that the K20 will be sold for some months still, to fill the gap between the K-m and the K7.

04-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
amazon has lots of K20Ds as do many other stores. B&H is only sold out due to that $670 sale.

Actually Amazon is down to 3 K20D bodies but has kits left, once again they say more coming soon. This is only due to the price, I mean think about it, a weather sealed camera with it's known performance at $670? everyone is jumping on it.
I really wanted to upgrade from my K10, so I purchased 1 last night from Beach Camera, they have 1 body left after my order, i think. With MS Cash Back, my final price was $600 for a K20D, how good is that - (there is a God and he has a Pentax :-)) Its hard to even find it used for that price.

Checks last night showed that for bodies, Adorama was out of stock and backordered, B&H as well, Beach had those 2, ProDigital had some. Perhaps they are hoping they can unload some of the K20's with lenses that don't seem to be selling as well.

Makes me wonder though. With a downsized K7, or it seems that way to me and they did say that the K7 is not a replacement for the K20, are they going to just let the K20 run out at some point. Or are they expecting to have a K30 out by the winter holidays.

I'll probably kick myself in a month when prices may be lower, but at least i'll have a K20 in hand when i do that :-) On the other hand, it seems like new cameras of discontinued stock hang around for a long time.
04-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

...If so, maybe I should just keep shooting the K10D and get a Used With Box K20 on the Forum - or maybe I should just wait ANOTHER year and get the K7 when the street price normalizes. Or wait until year-end when the K20 replacement appears.
That is my short-term plan. My K10D is still going strong and while it is tempting to spring for a K20D at the current price point, I think that I will invest in a film scanner instead!

Steve
04-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I could not find any K20d in stock whatsoever, even the kit is gone now. I think the new camera will be on shelf sooner than some might believe.
Did you actually see a K7 listed at BH? Otherwise it is merely more speculation.
04-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Funny. I recently read on a Norwegian forum that the Scandinavian store chain Japan Photo was in some way short on K20Ds, and that this had to do with something new coming from Pentax. Not very likely that the salesman knew anything more than anyone else, but still. Funny coincidence at least.)

Regarding the reason behind shortage of K20D I guess that if this shortage is somewhat planned, it would make sense to temporarily stop production of the K20D and preparing for the successor. In the meantime, they announce and start shipping the "K7".

Speculations? Indeed so, but that's half of the fun, huh? : )
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No one would buy the K20 right now. So its normal that no one would still stock it.
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect it's all related to the exchange rate of the Yen, which just rose. US prices rose last week on many products. I imagine B&H (and others) are simply holding off new purchases of K20d to see what happens with the exchange rate, knowledge of which and large purchases are why they can sell more cheaply than others.
04-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
I suspect it's all related to the exchange rate of the Yen, which just rose. US prices rose last week on many products. I imagine B&H (and others) are simply holding off new purchases of K20d to see what happens with the exchange rate, knowledge of which and large purchases are why they can sell more cheaply than others.
Nope. Its just all about Supply & Demand.

Every Japanese products are affected by the exchange rate. There is no reason why only K20D is affected.
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here you go!