Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Never enough
let it be 7mp and 7fps
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #138
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
It probably comes down to the whole cost of production once again. I would've loved a metal camera, but if it suddenly ups the cost of the new camera to 5D Mk II levels, I'd rather have the tough plastic instead.
I love metal bodies but as long as the camera is weighty enough I'm fine with it. I'm part of the segment of society who's not all that keen on electronics becoming as small and light as possible. I'm a big guy, I want something that doesn't feel like a toy that I can balance properly.

As far as the video functions go, I know a lot of people are hating on this but I honestly can't wait. The quality of video that comes off of these SLR's is better than what comes off my friends professional broadcast tv camera. Granted, without all the options, zebra mode, XLR input, etc...but heck, you can pull off some nice stuff. Video shouldn't come at much additional cost, if any at all, so it's not like the camera would be hundreds less if they forwent the feature.
04-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with ProppaT- I want to see video BADLY

I used to think it was a joke, until I watched a few of the competing camera videos on YouTube. To me, the ability to record video with my DA* lenses is incredibly tantalizing!

04-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
What about this specs? From Rice Highs comments?

15 MP NEW APS-C CMOS SENSOR
ISO 50-6400
5 fps (till 10 fps in 6 MP mode)
100 % viewfinder, 1.1 x
Liveview and HD Video 1920*1080
77 AF points in LV,
11-point TTL double-cross sensor.
77 zones light metering
1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync

I think the sensor is the same Samsung 14.6MP as in the K20D, not a new one.

04-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #141

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. My K200D fits perfectly in my hands, I don't mind the weight either.

The next Pentax body I buy new will have a full frame sensor, more MP's, and superior image quality. I might be able to skimp a bit one of these three if the other two are fulfilled. However, size is really not an issue for me. Maybe it's time for me to move to medium format.

Jay

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I would like to see a thread started on unwanted features. I've got big hands and small size is not a characteristic I find useful in a camera. I'm betting I'm not alone either.

Adding to that, I don't want to pay extra for video. I would rather have something well-built than light weight. But it is all about image quality I suppose. I also am not going to pay more for FPS. Or an ISO button. Or marginally improved Live View--which is pretty much worthless to me unlesss the LCD articulates.

The one thing I was really looking forward to was FF. If the image quality is greatly improved, or if the price is low, I won't complain. But FF is eventually going to cost them a lot of sales the way things are now.
04-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #142
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think the sensor is the same Samsung 14.6MP as in the K20D, not a new one.

Looking at what C and N put on the market recently (same Mp sensor cameras in diferent ranges e.g Rebel 500 and 50D, plus D90, D300 and 5000D) I can bet that the K200D's successor will also have 14-15 Mp. So it can make sense to reserve the current sensor for that one and update to v2 for the better camera. Since I bet that k7 will be a bestseller I think they can dissipate R7D costs into much larger volumes than K20D'.

Just my 2 eurocents,
Radu

04-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Looking at what C and N put on the market recently (same Mp sensor cameras in diferent ranges e.g Rebel 500 and 50D, plus D90, D300 and 5000D) I can bet that the K200D's successor will also have 14-15 Mp. So it can make sense to reserve the current sensor for that one and update to v2 for the better camera. Since I bet that k7 will be a bestseller I think they can dissipate R7D costs into much larger volumes than K20D'.

Just my 2 eurocents,
Radu

Makes sense.

04-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #144
Nubi

Being small to a certain extent is good, but once beyond that fine line it becomes more of a nuisance, especially with larger lenses like DA*50-135. For example, I just don't like the feel of the 50-135 on k-m. It is a matter of balance between a body and a lens, and the where the center of gravity lies within that body with that lens attached to it. This really changes your frame of your shots much more than you think. With lenses larger 300 it may not be as much an issue since the lens will be mounted on the tripod. I wonder what line of lenses they had in mind when they were designing this thing.
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #145
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Arctic Test

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well I may not be for sale, but if pentax needs recognition as an rugged outdoor brand, then they do need a thorough arctic outdoor test of it and that I will gladly do
You know, Duplo, that's not a bad idea. Pentax has historically produced field cameras, rather than studio cameras. The 67 and LX, and maybe other Pentax cameras, had battery extension cables to keep the batteries warm under the photographer's clothing in subfreezing temperatures. A truly rugged field camera, in the Pentax tradition, would have this accessory cable. Pentax should make some and have you field test them there in Greenland.

Last edited by Super A; 04-28-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #146
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Being small to a certain extent is good, but once beyond that fine line it becomes more of a nuisance, especially with larger lenses like DA*50-135...It is a matter of balance between a body and a lens, and the where the center of gravity lies within that body with that lens attached to it.
I agree. An LX is almost too small to attach my A* 135 1.8. It becomes a lens with a camera attached.
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #147
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
IQ should always come first. 5D's IQ is unbeatable, way better than the K20, even resolution wise (don't just believe pixel count!)
I disagree.I owned the 5D for a year, and now a K20D for a year..My standards for image quality are highly detailed landscapes shot with my 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras and Heidelberg Tango scanned 4x5 and 8x10 negatives.With the 5D 16x20 prints were as big as I'd go.With the K20D 16x20 is as big as I go.12x15 is my prefered print size with either of these dslr's.Each camera has a different look.To me the 5D's sensor was more plastic (noise reduction?) than the K20D.I prefer the prints off my K20D over my 5D prints.They look more natural to my eyes.This on 2 Epsons, one 4800 with Piezography neutral K7 inks, and one 7800 with the Epson stock carts, Inova FibaPrint Ultra Smooth Gloss and Hahnemuhle 308 rag papers.

Grand Tetons- Calumet C-1, Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 Apo Sironar N, Fuji Provia, Epson 4990 wet scan
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProppaT Quote
As far as the video functions go, I know a lot of people are hating on this but I honestly can't wait. The quality of video that comes off of these SLR's is better than what comes off my friends professional broadcast tv camera. Granted, without all the options, zebra mode, XLR input, etc...but heck, you can pull off some nice stuff. Video shouldn't come at much additional cost, if any at all, so it's not like the camera would be hundreds less if they forwent the feature.
I'm okay with video, too. It's one of those nice-to-have features that may be fun to use at times. I just hope Pentax managed to get video AF in there, though, if they did choose to include video in their next camera. I'm not as skilled as videographers in following focus manually.
04-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #149

just imaging the fun of manual focus different lenses that turn opposite directions to focus.

The new teasers have confirmed the mic ports and thus video functions... if AF works.. it will be a huge leg up on all the other DSLRs with video.

Cheers
Shang
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Super A Quote
You know, Duplo, that's not a bad idea. Pentax has historically produced field cameras, rather than studio cameras. The 67 and LX, and maybe other Pentax cameras, had battery extension cables to keep the batteries warm under the photographer's clothing in subfreezing temperatures. A truly rugged field camera, in the Pentax tradition, would have this accessory cable. Pentax should make some and have you field test them there in Greenland.
I like the idea, but then again it might take a little more to sell the idea to Ned