Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #16

So there is no EVF? Kind of disappointed. I hope its 1.0X and 100% to justify the "7" designation.

It's a no-nonsense great prosumer class camera though. I hope you can use the live view buttom to turn on and off SR. I am sure many hard core old school shooters don't care about LV.

04-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evf - for what???
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think HOYA has brought back good old tradition of Pentax!

That is, Pentax used to make compact SLR from the old film days in the 70s (MX, ME, KM, KX etc.) and the mid-90s (MZ series).

Now, Hoya has done it again, as they promised and told two times before at PMA and last Photokina.

Indeed, I hate much the big-size-ness of the K10 and K20 and even the K200 (as an entry level body). Now, I finally have the K-7 - the ideal *ist D replacement, *finally*!

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Three Sets of K-7 Dimensions Update!

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7 Unofficially Announced!

Truely Compact! Especially for an Upper Grade DSLR with those functionalities! Could even Smaller than the K200D (for some and Most Dimensions)!

Big News, Great News! Well Done, Pentax/Hoya!! My Thumb Up!!!
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Forgive me RH, I did check your chart, but it's very late here and I didn't have a chance to read anywhere that you actually got your hands on one. Can you confirm that these are the actual measurements and not just more rumors? Either way, I appreciate it! And if you do have your hands on one... congrats--I hope it's perfect.

04-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not Rumour

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Forgive me RH, I did check your chart, but it's very late here and I didn't have a chance to read anywhere that you actually got your hands on one. Can you confirm that these are the actual measurements and not just more rumors? Either way, I appreciate it! And if you do have your hands on one... congrats--I hope it's perfect.
NOT Rumour! But Real Rulers in Real World! Measured by My Hands!! :-D

But do forgive me for some minor derivations against factory specs, though.
04-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
Forum Member

RiceHigh:

Hi, it's comfortable to operate? Or it's too tiny? Can you compare ergonomy with your 5d?
04-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
RiceHigh:

Hi, it's comfortable to operate? Or it's too tiny? Can you compare ergonomy with your 5d?
5D ergonomics are just so-so, but its acceptable.

As for the new body, I cannot tell further the stories, as I need to keep my secrets! (I'm not NDA bound but my sources are! Sorry for that.)

I have full confidence on the ergonomics and user-friendiness of the K-7 though, as the K-m is also good.

What I'm still most worried are the inherit AE, AF and Soft Jpeg issues and *whether* Hoya/Pentax has able been tackled all these this time! (Big Question Here! Still need time to tell - and I shall try my best to measurbate it, if I buy one - but I only will buy one only if it passes my tests! ;-) )

04-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
RiceHigh:

I dunno about the 5D but it won't be too tiny
04-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I dunno about the 5D but it won't be too tiny
I know, many users want small camera, size doesn't matter if it's comfortable to operate & carry. Hope that new grip will be much better and size of k-7 with d-bg4 will be ideal.
04-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I know, many users want small camera, size doesn't matter if it's comfortable to operate & carry. Hope that new grip will be much better and size of k-7 with d-bg4 will be ideal.
I did not see yet the DBG4 so can't comment on that.
04-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did not see yet the DBG4 so can't comment on that.
D-BG4 will be smaller and lighter.
04-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
D-BG4 will be smaller and lighter.
Good to know but the main question is the buttons layout
04-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both the K20D and the 5D but I'd choose the K20D over the 5D any day. In use, the 5D is a joke. You can get used to it of course, but IMHO the K20D is on a higher level with its controls. Also, the 5D's screen is a bad joke. Never in my life have I seen such a bad screen with dull, flat colors. Completely unusable in the field.

I'm sure the K-7 will jump over the 5D with regards to usability and user friendliness. But let me also assure you that the 5D's sensor is really nice and that's why I'm still waiting for the first FF Pentax.
04-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know but the main question is the buttons layout
Similar to D-BG2 and 3.
04-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IQ !

IQ should always come first. 5D's IQ is unbeatable, way better than the K20, even resolution wise (don't just believe pixel count!)

5D has different LCD screen, the very early production is worse, the later is better. It is not "dull", but *accurate*. The problem of Pentax screens are that all of them are too bright, greys are not reproduced correctly no matter what and where (you view it). There is no way to get it right. If you turn down the brightness, all the shadows cannot be seen! Even if you view in dark or indoor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I have both the K20D and the 5D but I'd choose the K20D over the 5D any day. In use, the 5D is a joke. You can get used to it of course, but IMHO the K20D is on a higher level with its controls. Also, the 5D's screen is a bad joke. Never in my life have I seen such a bad screen with dull, flat colors. Completely unusable in the field.

I'm sure the K-7 will jump over the 5D with regards to usability and user friendliness. But let me also assure you that the 5D's sensor is really nice and that's why I'm still waiting for the first FF Pentax.