Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although I think RaduA should perhaps chill a little bit he has got a point.

Neither OGL nor RiceHigh have particularly good reputations* on these forums (or others) for the accuracy or consistency of their information and yet people seem to be taking their word as gospel and building expectations off the back of them. Which is wierd.

People seem to accept OGL's assetions about HD video and RiceHigh's about the dimensions despite not having any evidence at all.

Really we know absolutely nothing about this camera whatsoever other than that it will be announced soon.

* regardless of whether these are deserved or not is not really the point.

04-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
My post was for those who can think thus you're excluded from the start
Oh sorry, I didn't know that I must be able to think.

But our cat can think, maybe I'll show your posts to her.

Thumbs Up for great entertainment value
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
OMG, other than compact size, it also has live-view & video recording. So attractive. wouldn't this kills the K-M. I am liking it alot. Time to save up $$$ for May 21st.
alright, seriously. The k-m is what <$500? This will be $1200+. How stoned do you have to be to even say this will kill an entry level DSLR???
04-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
You know it may not happen. It reminds me a story that goes like this:

Once upon a time there was a guy who worshiped a god but for some reason he didn't like what this god was doing. So he did a very long prayer, explaining why god's actions sucked. Unfortunately he got no answer at all. This put him in a great wrath and decided from that day to start a blog and call every god's action. He was taking the matter very personnally. The god seemed still to not care for many years until one day one of his most important messenger said "you should cut him some slack". The guy was now very happy, at least his god was talking about him. About Him! Imagine that. The wrath left him and he started to praise his god's new creations. Happy End.

Smart god, especially if that was one of that god's most vocal detractors.

04-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
As for the new body, I cannot tell further the stories, as I need to keep my secrets! (I'm not NDA bound but my sources are! Sorry for that.)
but your sources already broke the NDA by letting you see the camera and by allowing you to post measurements, exact or not...
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #96
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

Neither OGL nor RiceHigh have particularly good reputations* on these forums (or others) for the accuracy or consistency of their information and yet people seem to be taking their word as gospel and building expectations off the back of them. .
I will have fun when you see K-7.

99% of this info
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7 Unofficially Announced!
is naked truth
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Video with LIMITED is so tasty.
I really think that video with the Cosina 55 1.2 or Super Takumar 55 1.8 will be even more tasty

Imagine moving forward through a landscape like;

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-27-2009 at 08:44 AM.
04-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vinfer Quote
We are not children.
really? Have you not read this thread?
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #99
RaduA

Neither OGL nor RiceHigh have particularly good reputations* on these forums (or others) for the accuracy or consistency of their information and yet people seem to be taking their word as gospel and building expectations off the back of them. Which is wierd.

People seem to accept OGL's assetions about HD video and RiceHigh's about the dimensions despite not having any evidence at all.

Really we know absolutely nothing about this camera whatsoever other than that it will be announced soon.

* regardless of whether these are deserved or not is not really the point.
There is only one comment I want to make. Both RH and the other guy have access to Chinese and Russian fora which are maybe more informed and eager to share info than English based ones. Some info are without doubt correct (and quite old but promoted every day like a breakthrough) but I tend to believe that if they had some hard data they would of put them here without hesitation hence they only pretend to be *insiders* and make up a lot of drama from very thin facts. RH has a blog to promote and the other guy will do whatever it takes for his minute(s) of fame. Including venting dozens of rumors in order to get one right, btw! For God's sake this guy ONE WEEK AGO thought about it like it will be a FF camera and now he tries to give us lectures: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/564878-post483.html. Also one week ago he thought the upper button is not ISO but 2 rectangles and stuff: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/564299-post428.html, 5 days a go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/566981-post689.html he was candid in admiting he knew nothing (and still doesn't except for whatever he read on various fora). I won't even delve into his past predictions about FF and MF and other cameras.
As I had the experience in the past of desperately wanting to know ANYTHING about new gear I can fully understand that some will want to see news and infos regardless of the source. The frustrating part of it is that the few dozen people at least on this forum that know a lot more than those two combined can't/don't want to talk. Hopefully this will be my last explanation about this subject.

Radu
04-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Hrm, well, I'm not really buying the dimensions, especially since RiceHigh is comparing them to the K-M when that's not what those numbers say.... frankly, he loses a lot of credibility with me just cause his opinions seem to be based on not knowing the K20d very well.

(Soft Jpegs? Even I know the out of the box settings are set less sharpened, so they'll be more post-friendly. It's a simple matter to bump the sharpness and fine sharpness up a notch or two. LCD 'too bright?' Third thing down on the Setup menu. 'Brightness Level.' Have your choice of seven dimmer settings. )

Even if he *has* seen the camera, comparing it to a K-M would seem to be misleading. I think the most convincing thing about size is where someone appears to have lined up the lens mounts and superimposed a K20 with the promo poster. It looks like this machine will be a bit taller (in the prism, at least) than the K20d and somewhat narrower.

I certainly wouldn't panic over the dimensions, I predict the K-7 will prove to be roughly camera-sized.

I really don't know why people complain about the size of the K20d, ...it's actually exactly as wide and tall as my old Canon New F-1 would be if I had the most compact prism on there, and there was a handgrip on there. The legendary LX is smaller than this, but not *that* much smaller than this. And, frankly, the D300s and 5ds the k20's always being compared to *are* real chunks by comparison. We're kind of already in a different class, sizewise.

I often wonder why people who are probably a lot bigger than me are always complaining about the size of cameras, anyway. I have kind of long fingers, but size and heft are my *friend* until they become excessive. It's the oldest and best form of stabilization out there, and actually a bit of a fatter grip lets you hold with the right firmness and less strain. Worth carrying around.

Anyway, I pretty much trust Pentax to come out with nice-handling cameras at this point. When I got my chance to get my K20d, I'd only ever been able to handle a K200d, and I was like, 'If they can make the basic camera handle like that, I'm sure they can do nice things with the luxury of a bigger one. ' I figure it works both ways. Actually, if they do start making a nice small full-featured camera, it'd be great if they took another cue from the LX and offered a set of interchangeable grips to add on. I've even considered getting the special one for the K20d: it could be nice for days of less grip strength in my hand, but I don't want to send my camera away to have it attached, and it might be too much if I decide I like the battery grip.

Anyway, that's a digression, but I think I'd take especially the subjective impressions with a major grain of salt. I'm pretty convinced they've put that new finder design in there, and as far as I'm concerned, they can make that as big as they like if it gives us a better finder view. That's where the magic happens, after all: eyes and hands.
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #101

Firmly nailed on the head.

My take: I scan the net and sometimes I find stuff which I consider reliable. There I go.

But one piece of advice (from another little world) goes like this:

"Those who speak, do not know; and those who know, do not speak".

I'm fairly convinced that more than a few people who DO know about the new K7 specs are usual posters here; but I'm even more convinced those are not waving their d**ks about the loads of inside info they have about the k7.

On the contrary, those bragging about their info should not be trusted. Even less if their nick is RH, whose only evidenced merit along the years is the systematic, professional, continuous bashing of the brand Pentax and its equipment.
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I will have fun when you see K-7.

99% of this info
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7 Unofficially Announced!
is naked truth
Apart from the dimensions most of those specifications are to be expected.

The plausibility of those specifications doesn't make the idea that RiceHigh or yourself have direct access to privileged information more credible.

Anyway, that's all I really have to say on the subject.

Last edited by Caat; 04-27-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #103
Veteran Member

There is only one comment I want to make. Both RH and the other guy have access to Chinese and Russian fora which are maybe more informed and eager to share info than English based ones. Some info are without doubt correct (and quite old but promoted every day like a breakthrough) but I tend to believe that if they had some hard data they would of put them here without hesitation hence they only pretend to be *insiders* and make up a lot of drama from very thin facts. RH has a blog to promote and the other guy will do whatever it takes for his minute(s) of fame. Including venting dozens of rumors in order to get one right, btw! For God's sake this guy ONE WEEK AGO thought about it like it will be a FF camera and now he tries to give us lectures: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/564878-post483.html. Also one week ago he thought the upper button is not ISO but 2 rectangles and stuff: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/564299-post428.html, 5 days a go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/566981-post689.html he was candid in admiting he knew nothing (and still doesn't except for whatever he read on various fora). I won't even delve into his past predictions about FF and MF and other cameras.
As I had the experience in the past of desperately wanting to know ANYTHING about new gear I can fully understand that some will want to see news and infos regardless of the source. The frustrating part of it is that the few dozen people at least on this forum that know a lot more than those two combined can't/don't want to talk. Hopefully this will be my last explanation about this subject.

Radu
It seems to me that the information posted in this thread is fairly insubstantial and quite easily guessed given that most things are more likely that not - such as a three inch screen. It is irritating when things are trumpeted as being so amazing when really they are just plausible. There is a lot of "look at me, look at what I know" going on when in reality a) I don't care and b) that which is being claimed is quite boring.

The dimensions are interesting if true but that is the only actual specification posted in this entire thread. There have been no leaks of specifications at all. Not actual leaks like the photographs anyway. What we've had are rumours and hearsay.

This is the danger of things leaking. I am quite bored with the whole thing now. All it does is allow some people to build up expectations beyond all credibility and then the announcement is as flat as a pancake.
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Radu
There's a post I'm kind of wishing didn't fall just before my meanderings, Radu, that's pretty important citations, given the topic at hand.

Still, I think the only thing that frustrates *me* about these discussions is maybe that some of the rumormongering and speculation takes on this tone of either alarm or potentially-inflated expectations: in a time of 'viral marketing' I can't help but think some of the talk here has other agendas than good photography in mind.

Frankly, when one brand or another comes up with something nice, we should all be happy, not 'jealous,' or whatever. This is how the good stuff we *all* come to take for granted gets out there. (or back out there) Pentax being the first one to put a PC terminal on a reasonably-affordable camera, for a prosaic example, means all of a sudden the big companies who previously would rather sell a bulky and complicated cord suddenly have an incentive to put the two dollar part in.

I realize there are some investments involved, (Heck, my K20d is by far the single most expensive object I've *owned* since I had a vehicle, and I got him at the nadir of the price drop last year. ) ..but why does this have to be not-fun?

Frankly, the speculations matter little to me, apart from that I spend more time talking about cameras that I'd prefer to spend using them, these days. The K20d puts me way ahead of my expected upgrade path, as it is. But, I love cameras, and I love *puzzles.* (I like to fix old cameras, cause there you have *both.* )

It's going to come out... It's going to cost what brand new models cost, in some manner. Might well want one in a year or two. OK. This month, we get a puzzle.
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #105

Exactly!
It's obvious to me that some "insiders" are just egomaniacs

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
"Those who speak, do not know; and those who know, do not speak".