Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Yes. But while I like the SLR viewfinder, I'd rather have an AF that works. Not one that shifts the focal point when I'm using the camera under artificial light instead of sunligh...
Upper-end cameras will all start having this feature, as the nikon D300+ bodies do. Too much lens variation out there to rely on things like in-body contrast AF working 100% with every lens.

When you sent your body in for AF adjustment before this feature appeared, one of the things they did was to access a debug mode to adjust AF - lately they've just been building an interface to that debug mode and telling the marketing dept about it.

04-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #17

jsherman999, agree.
Wouldn't the next step be to have a semi-automated calibration, f.e. by using a defined target and the sensor based AF, which must be as correct as possible by design? Imagine all AF fields having calibrated for different distances on all your lenses in some minutes? Wow.
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #18

I always hoped for a secondary system like the AF system of the Contax AX. These babies still sell for over $1000 and they are the only cameras that can perform AF with ANY kind of lens you would attach to them - especially those old Zeiss ones.
The principle is that instead of adjusting the lens, it would move the film plane, bringing the film in focus. This had a major bonus, it allowed every lens to have macro potential.

If Pentax ever makes something like this it will absolutely KILL competiition - I just don't see it happening anytime soon, if at all...