Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will K-7 have AF lens tuning like the K20D?

This has probably been speculated on or confirmed, but buried in one of the other threads:

Will the new K-7 have AF adjustment?

Deal breaker for me if not, but I suspect it will, just wanted to confirm.

04-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No doubt we will find out when the specifications are released.
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't imagine that they would leave that out, but it would be a deal breaker for me too. I have 5 Pentax lenses, and two K20D bodies. All of the lenses need some degree of adjustment on both bodies. I will not buy any camera that does not allow adjustment. I realize that non K20D bodies can be sent to Pentax with a lens or lenses and they will adjust it for you, but i REALLY have a problem with the concept of "buy the product, then send it back to us and we'll make it work the way it should have to start with". Understand that I am not finding fault with the fact that individual lenses need to be adjusted to individual bodies. I can't, however, see any good reason that the adjustment ability of the K20D is not included on all models.
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

if the K7 is a step above the k20 and most of the early info points that way, i would find it hard to imagine pentax leaving out this highly sought- after feature.

all the other features (albeit speculation), better AF, AF assist light, LV, 3" hi-res screen, Video, faster FPS, etc are nice, but if they leave out the lens adjustment, that would really be a big bummer.

Last edited by opiedog; 04-27-2009 at 09:43 AM.
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Yes, I can't say how much I wish my D90 had it.

I'm sure it will, I'm just... nervous about it.
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good Point Jay - It would sure be a deal breaker for me too if it lacked it.
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Huh.

Well, I just received a message from someone who shall remain nameless that seemed to have very good info about this - and about another matter, which was surprising and quite pleasing to me, and in fact may be (as far as I know) unique in DSLRs right now.

What specifically they told me about AF adjust and this new feature I shall not disclose, per their request. But it may or may not be tasty. I'm not saying.

There. That's my contribution to this craziness, and it's second hand, and vague. In other words, par for the course in this section of the forum.

(Now... I wonder if I should mosey on down to the local store and place an advance order on the K-7..... )

04-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Now in english!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Well, I just received a message from someone who shall remain nameless that seemed to have very good info about this - and about another matter, which was surprising and quite pleasing to me, and in fact may be (as far as I know) unique in DSLRs right now.

What specifically they told me about AF adjust and this new feature I shall not disclose, per their request. But it may or may not be tasty. I'm not saying.

There. That's my contribution to this craziness, and it's second hand, and vague. In other words, par for the course in this section of the forum.

(Now... I wonder if I should mosey on down to the local store and place an advance order on the K-7..... )

What???????
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

jay, hiding facts from us that way, that's pure evil!
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
jay, hiding facts from us that way, that's pure evil!

It's info based on beta stuff. The person can disclose if they wish, I'll keep my promise.

I won't be saying any more about this, I'm starting to sound like wendyb.

04-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Jay~ please tell me~~~ (Hahaha...)
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I honestly see no reason why they would leave something like that out. The sensor already moves, the rest is firmware. My money is on that control staying until someone automates it to the point they feel it's unnecessary.
04-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Why would one need AF adjustment if a camera has contrast detection AF? Mind you, I know nothing, but with this type of AF no adjustment is necessary. So I'm hoping that the K-7 has this type of AF, which would be super cool
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Why would one need AF adjustment if a camera has contrast detection AF? Mind you, I know nothing, but with this type of AF no adjustment is necessary. So I'm hoping that the K-7 has this type of AF, which would be super cool
Assuming you'd still like an SLR, these corrections are for variations in *lenses.* Isn't contrast-detection AF dependent on a bare sensor?
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Assuming you'd still like an SLR, these corrections are for variations in *lenses.* Isn't contrast-detection AF dependent on a bare sensor?
Yes. But while I like the SLR viewfinder, I'd rather have an AF that works. Not one that shifts the focal point when I'm using the camera under artificial light instead of sunligh...