Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-7 is the camera which tell us "Take me, take me!!!".
K20D is good, but K-7 is MUCH better.

I think it's the best camera in Pentax digital history.
...yes, but did you hear about the upcoming K-8? You can put two lenses on it and shoot HD videos stereoscopically.

04-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #47

There is an old funky song entitled "Talking loud and sayin' nothing" that applies very well to many posts in this forum, lately.

(BTW let me state that RMabo's comments are excluded from the posts I mean above.)
04-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
...yes, but did you hear about the upcoming K-8? You can put two lenses on it and shoot HD videos stereoscopically.
ogl knows more than meets the eye so maybe you should listen

Last edited by dopeytree; 04-28-2009 at 04:03 AM.
04-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Yes, I've heard about model lower K-7 close to X-mas 2009. Better than K-m.

04-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes, I've heard about model lower K-7 close to X-mas 2009. Better than K-m.
so maybe heard also about model better then K-7 ?

Last edited by Vaikis_; 04-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.
04-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
so maybe heard also about model better then K7 ?
Right name K-7.
04-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that Pentax has been really clear over the years with their philosophy. Their goal is to put the highest specs they can (with their limited R & D budget) in the smallest APS-C camera they can. They then combine this with reasonably priced, amazing primes and offer it to those that see value in it. I don't see any indication that they are going to go away from this path, although I do think that eventually they will probably add full frame.

To the OP: 8000 dollars goes a lot farther in a Pentax line up. I could buy every one of the Da star lenses and a couple of bodies for that. At the same time, there are things that other camera companies offer that Pentax doesn't - won't any time soon. For all of the rumors, I see a continuation of the same plan as before and if that doesn't work for you, then continue to buy L lenses.

Edit: I am a little unclear on what makes a camera a "professional camera." Is it a pro camera because a professional is using it, or is it a pro camera because it turns a novice into a "professional?"

04-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Just a quick reply regarding the original post.

If you think you're being alienated by Pentax, that's simply because you don't like what they offer. I doubt any company would intentionally put off already existing customers.

In that case, you simply need to pack up and switch yards. I'm not gonna rehash the whole greener grass thing because it really depends on one's wants. All I hope for is that everyone acts on their needs and wants and then be happy with what they choose, regardless if they decided to move on to another lawn or not.

I really don't see the point of this thread. Either you want what Pentax has to offer or not. It's a far cry from what you hypothesize as Pentax intentionally crippling their current user base, because you can say the same about any company (camera company or otherwise) with their new products. Here's a cliche that I'm willing to stress regarding the topic: "You can never please everybody".
04-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #54

I think for photojournalests and adventure photograhers who need a small light weather proof body that is fully spec is a pro body for them... I think it all depends on what kind of photograher you are.
04-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Somehow, I doubt that
More direct access doesn't always mean better ergonomics; I'm quite worried about this aspect, for the new model. The K20D interface is a very good balance between control and ergonomics; the buttons are logically organized, you have access to basic settings (yes, including ISO) when you need it - and can make such changes while looking through the camera.
I'm afraid the new camera could be a step behind. More direct-access buttons, bigger LCD (let's assume this), smaller camera - well, something must go.
But of course, I shouldn't speak without holding the camera in my hands
Don't worry, ergo,omics are indeed pretty good and yes, more direct accesses to functions. You do not have to beleive me, Ogl or RH.

But if what I have under my eyes in my mailbox is a hoax, man, the guy who made it is a genius.
04-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
I think for photojournalests and adventure photograhers who need a small light weather proof body that is fully spec is a pro body for them... I think it all depends on what kind of photograher you are.
Many photogs want the best quality they can get especially if it's going to be in print etc so many look at what people consider pro cameras... i.e full frame then theirs semi-pro cameras which the k20d i would say fits in.

But if a camera comes along giving you pro specs in a smaller body are you going to say no!?

It's much more about the photographer than his/her equipment but if having this tool helps them then all the better
04-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Edit: I am a little unclear on what makes a camera a "professional camera." Is it a pro camera because a professional is using it, or is it a pro camera because it turns a novice into a "professional?"
I think there's also some kind of form that you fill in and post to the camera maker, something along the lines of...
"so, you've chosen a [insert "pro" camera name], consider yourself a pro/better photographer from this moment on.
Please note: This is only for the use of this camera and does not reflect your abilities should you use a different(non-pro) camera.
In fact,, by doing so, you forfeit your rights of being a pro photographer by using some cheap crap."

Something like that, or so I was informed.
04-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If they decide to offer a larger sensor body, the 645 makes infinitly more sense as there is a built in group of buyers with lenses and a desire to own this camera in a D version.

Let Canon and Nikon beat each other up for the few who want to drop $3-7000 on a FF DSLR.
I think you're right, Peter. This is what Pentax's market has been traditionally. They make a nod towards a "pro" small camera, but really consider their medium format gear to be their pro offerings. Remember that Pentax was successful for a really long time taking this approach, too. If I were a bettin' man, I'd bet that we'll never see a FF Pentax camera. Nothing seems to be saying that they're headed in that direction.
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The thing I think many are overlooking is the top line FF bodies account for 2% of the total market share. So why would a smaller camera maker want to fight it out for such a small group of buyers? Add to that, if a company wants to have a truly Pro camera (whatever that is?) then they need a service department program that can support pro shooters and turn a camera around in 24 hours, offer loaners and all sorts of support programs. Far too expensive for the small return on sales.

If they decide to offer a larger sensor body, the 645 makes infinitly more sense as there is a built in group of buyers with lenses and a desire to own this camera in a D version.

Let Canon and Nikon beat each other up for the few who want to drop $3-7000 on a FF DSLR.

Pentax has that exact pro program you are speaking of in the US. Connect Pentax Canada to see if you have it up there.
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Build quality is the biggie. Things like accurate viewfinder registration needs to be spot on, and the viewfinder really needs to be 100% and of good quality.
It helps if the camera is robust and can take a few hard knocks and keep working.

Manufacturer support. Do they have a full lens line? Do they offer preferred repair service if you are registered with them as a professional user.
Do they offer loaner equipment if your camera needs extended service time?

Having said that, you'll find that most pro cameras are actually in the hands of well heeled amateurs who want the cachet that goes with the professional equipment, and more professionals are using lower end cameras because they plan on upgrading fairly regularly, and because the difference in price from a pro body to an amateur body will probably let them buy an extra lens or two.