Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
No argument from me the $670 K20D is something everyone should own. I've considered a 2nd one but I've got my sights on something I really need:

New Wimberley Gimbal Head:

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head

I owned their first version gimbal years ago when I had a 400mm 2.8. Sold it after I sold the 400 2.8. I miss it, and 2nd version is really improved upon. I took 2nd version one to Yellowstone a couple visits ago, but the lens I had (((sucked))) due to really out of balance tripod mount: 135-600mm SMC Pentax, so I sold the lens and returned the loaner gimbal. Now I've got a few 5-6 pound lenses that would benefit from the effortless head.

So no 2nd K20D for me, I'm getting me a new gimbal instead.
That looks to be a good head. I really should consider upgrading the pithy tripod I own, but maybe after I can score a good 300mm+ lens (hope to finally try birding). I hope I can find a decent cheap used lens of that sort, doesn't matter if it's AF or not, as I probably would rather do the focusing myself.

04-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I've found used heavy duty tripods are affordable.

I've got a pair of Manfrotto 3036 that includes crank up center column. I think they're rated at 35 pounds of gear. I paid less than $100 each at my local favorite used camerashop. Sure carbon fibre would be a pound or so less at same size but easily $600 each more. Personally I like geared column, so when a second like new sample one popped up I bought it too.

Irrespective of cost, you should always own a well made tripod. Its kinda like equiptment insurance. Figure out what you want and search for it and earlier versions at you local used equiptment shops.

I did buy a new tripod once. Its my handy hiking one and since its carbon its quite light and used to handle my 400mm 2.8 and wimberley version one, film camera, drive. I think that was 23 pounds of equiptment on a 11 pound rated set of carbonfibre legs. Worked fine in calm wind, breezes would make it creak. This was back in 2004 when I still had my 1999 Kodak p&s DC290. I used that P&S until March 2006 when I bought my first dslr:

Samsung GX-1S, also know as Pentax DS2 from 2005.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
That looks to be a good head. I really should consider upgrading the pithy tripod I own, but maybe after I can score a good 300mm+ lens (hope to finally try birding). I hope I can find a decent cheap used lens of that sort, doesn't matter if it's AF or not, as I probably would rather do the focusing myself.
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I think Samsungian (and the OP) are prime examples of the, "I'm waiting for a full frame" myth. I seriously doubt the credibility of claims that one photographer or another is holding out on updating their camera until Pentax relents and goes full frame. Most of those who are currently willing to put their money where their wish list is already have a full frame body or two.

Pentax does not lack presence in the professional market because they do not have a full frame body. They lack presence there because they do not have the support network to sustain a large volume of professional shooters. Pros place a high value on the vast professional network of Canon/Nikon support, especially the local rental and repair part of it.

The K-7 will not gobble up a big chunk of the professional market until Pentax is widely available in the rental and repair network. A Pentax full frame body would make little difference there. The 645D is the golden ticket into that market share. If it's successful, and only if it's successful, we may see a full frame camera from Pentax aimed at the current crop of professional full frame shooters. I just don't think they will build that cart until they either have the support network to pull it, or full frame is so affordable that everyone is shooting with one.
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I've got a pair of Manfrotto 3036 that includes crank up center column. I think they're rated at 35 pounds of gear. I paid less than $100 each at my local favorite used camerashop. Sure carbon fibre would be a pound or so less at same size but easily $600 each more. Personally I like geared column, so when a second like new sample one popped up I bought it too.

Irrespective of cost, you should always own a well made tripod. Its kinda like equiptment insurance. Figure out what you want and search for it and earlier versions at you local used equiptment shops.

I did buy a new tripod once. Its my handy hiking one and since its carbon its quite light and used to handle my 400mm 2.8 and wimberley version one, film camera, drive. I think that was 23 pounds of equiptment on a 11 pound rated set of carbonfibre legs. Worked fine in calm wind, breezes would make it creak. This was back in 2004 when I still had my 1999 Kodak p&s DC290. I used that P&S until March 2006 when I bought my first dslr:

Samsung GX-1S, also know as Pentax DS2 from 2005.
Well, to be honest, I've never had a lens heavier than the Tamron 28-75 I use now, so the thought really haven't crossed my mind to upgrade what I have. But thanks for the tripod prices update. I do agree that $100 for a Manfrotto is a good deal. I'll probably do some browsing over the weekend in our local camera stores.

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
I think Samsungian (and the OP) are prime examples of the, "I'm waiting for a full frame" myth. I seriously doubt the credibility of claims that one photographer or another is holding out on updating their camera until Pentax relents and goes full frame. Most of those who are currently willing to put their money where their wish list is already have a full frame body or two.

Pentax does not lack presence in the professional market because they do not have a full frame body. They lack presence there because they do not have the support network to sustain a large volume of professional shooters. Pros place a high value on the vast professional network of Canon/Nikon support, especially the local rental and repair part of it.

The K-7 will not gobble up a big chunk of the professional market until Pentax is widely available in the rental and repair network. A Pentax full frame body would make little difference there. The 645D is the golden ticket into that market share. If it's successful, and only if it's successful, we may see a full frame camera from Pentax aimed at the current crop of professional full frame shooters. I just don't think they will build that cart until they either have the support network to pull it, or full frame is so affordable that everyone is shooting with one.
I agree with you to a point. It is true that Pentax is not considered "pro" since they don't have an extensive support network the likes of Canon and Nikon (as an aside, it looks like the planned pro services announced some time back fizzled - sad).

But I do believe there are those who really do hold out for full-frame, but I suspect they are hobbyists on a budget who couldn't afford to go dual-system or that they'd still be forking quite a sum of money even if they did cash out their current equipment (cost of FF DSLR + capable lenses do add up).

And there are maybe a few who would rather have the feel of a Pentax (talking about ergonomics here, not pride of ownership).

Anyway, when FF sensors make their way to entry-level cameras, I suspect Pentax will either have FF DSLRs already, or will be dragged to do FF kicking and screaming, unless they can market their system the way Olympus has managed to do. Sure, Olympus may not be holding down 3rd place, but they're still treading water, at least.