Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Great News: DA 18-55 *WR* Kit Lens to Come!

As a weather-sealed kit lens for a weather-sealed body (the K-7), after I have been "bashing" for so long, since the birth of the K200D! ;-)

And, I really appreciate that Pentax/Hoya did accept and take my suggestion - and most importantly, implement it!

04-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a precisely how to differentiate in this market and gain market share, as well as good review points.

Still a rumour, but if true, welcome news.

If they could weather seal their entire line, they'd be in marketing heaven. It's a huge selling point.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
As a weather-sealed kit lens for a weather-sealed body (the K-7), after I have been "bashing" for so long, since the birth of the K200D! ;-)

And, I really appreciate that Pentax/Hoya did accept and take my suggestion - and most importantly, implement it!
04-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its NOT a Rumour, BUT Unofficial News! ;-) n/t

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That is a precisely how to differentiate in this market and gain market share, as well as good review points.

Still a rumour, but if true, welcome news.

If they could weather seal their entire line, they'd be in marketing heaven. It's a huge selling point.
There is No Text.
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Huh, do you really believe that Pentax did this because You have suggested?!

04-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Huh, do you really believe that Pentax did this because You have suggested?!
I think my "strong opinions" should have some effects. :-)

No matter how, its the end result that is most important, they did it!
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can just see that this thread is gonna turn sour..

But it is pleasing to hear that Pentax is rumored to be releasing weather sealed kit lens.
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
I can just see that this thread is gonna turn sour..

But it is pleasing to hear that Pentax is rumored to be releasing weather sealed kit lens.
It is NOT A RUMOUR, Just Believe it or NOT!

04-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Way to go, Pentax!

It is NOT A RUMOUR, Just Believe it or NOT!
RH,
relax. Somehow my guts told me that I should believe in you :ugh:
so bring it on, reveal more of this mystery!
Regardless of all the bad impressions you've made in the past,
I see you as a hard core Pentax in heart. Just in a "UNIQUE" way.

Don't disappoint us!
04-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

Seems almost a waste to make a sealed version of the kit lens, why not make a sealed version of a 16-45 or 17-70 instead.

I think a 17-70 SDM with sealing would be a real killer kit lens. Similar range to the very popular canon 24-105 f4. If the camera got reviewed with that lens on it it would deffinetley raise some good plusses. great range, constant aperture, SDM focusing, sealed to go with the body.

Unless WR was very cheap and easy to do (if it was they should do it with all the lenses).
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Seems almost a waste to make a sealed version of the kit lens, why not make a sealed version of a 16-45 or 17-70 instead.
Just because these are not small and cheap enough.

Optically wise, I like the DA 18-55 the best. Its colour rendition and bokeh is the best amongst the three. CA is the least. Distortion and vignetting would be another story.

Amongst the three, the 17-70 is the worst, corner sharpness is worst unless you stop down quite much.

QuoteQuote:
I think a 17-70 SDM with sealing would be a real killer kit lens. Similar range to the very popular canon 24-105 f4. If the camera got reviewed with that lens on it it would deffinetley raise some good plusses. great range, constant aperture, SDM focusing, sealed to go with the body.
Nope. Its too heavy. And, as I have said, the optical quality is not enough.

QuoteQuote:
Unless WR was very cheap and easy to do (if it was they
should do it with all the lenses).
They are not that expensive to make, believe me. :-)
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
RH,
relax. Somehow my guts told me that I should believe in you :ugh:
:-)

QuoteQuote:
so bring it on, reveal more of this mystery!
Sure!

QuoteQuote:
Regardless of all the bad impressions you've made in the past,
I see you as a hard core Pentax in heart. Just in a "UNIQUE" way.
:-0 :-L

QuoteQuote:
Don't disappoint us!
Yes, I will.
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

news has a verifiable source.

rumors are stories from people you may or may not trust.

until there is verification, it is a rumor.

so Rice, at this time it is a rumor until you can verify (ie post a photo).

It becomes a lie when verified to be false.
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Because a completely-sealed mid-entry level camera kit would be completely unique. There's already the 16-50mm for higher-end weather sealing — there's no pressing need to hit the midrange.

Now, weather-sealed normal prime, that's what I need. Let's see that 30mm DA★ back on the roadmap, please!
04-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
MSM
Veteran Member

Perhaps one of these is the new kit lens. We can only hope. As I understand it, there is more to weather sealing a lens than simply adding a rubber ring near the mount. I can't imagine Pentax would redesign the 18-55 mm (Mark III) to be on the latest and greatest camera's kit lens. Also, isn't a weather sealed lens now the mark of a DA*? or is it weather sealing and SDM?
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
Forum Member

I kind of feel like this is getting a bit out of hand, I am not saying I don't trust you RH, but nothing is set in stone, just relax a bit.

As for which lenses should be weather seales, why not seal up some of the great primes, after all everyone is screaming that this camera is meant to go with those nice limiteds we all enjoy, I for one would love to see this camera released with a 35 macro limited with weather sealing. If we had to seal a zoom I think the 17-70 would be the strongest choice. It is very overlooked as a lens, but could possibly be the strongest walk around lens in Pentax's arsenal and as pointed out it is on par with the 24-105 F4. Perhaps Pentax could do a 17-70 kit and a 18-55 kit or maybe even a way to get $100 off the lens or accessory of your choice.