Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #46
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
In Australia maybe. You guys get it rough down there. I fully expect this to be under $1500 in the U.S.
Pentax camera bodies are priced quite low in Australia. I think that it is going to be at least $1500 in USA. 1500 in Europe. And $2500-ish in Australia.

05-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #47
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Pentax camera bodies are priced quite low in Australia. I think that it is going to be at least $1500 in USA. 1500 in Europe. And $2500-ish in Australia.
Really? Backwards compared to other brands then. I know Canon stuff is more expensive there than here.

I think they're pricing themselves out of the market if it's $1500+. $1200 is the ballpark they need to be aiming for, give or take $100.
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Really? Backwards compared to other brands then. I know Canon stuff is more expensive there than here.

I think they're pricing themselves out of the market if it's $1500+. $1200 is the ballpark they need to be aiming for, give or take $100.
K20D was $1200 when it was introduced Do you really believe Hoya will price K-7 like K20D? Especially taking into mind that yen is stronger now and Hoya's policy is much higher prices, they stated a few times that Pentax is selling their cameras too cheap. They are steadily increasing lens prices, the same should happen to bodies.

So, maybe $1200 for K-7 for Christmas.

By the way, I would be more than happy if I would be wrong and you're right

Last edited by Edvinas; 05-18-2009 at 08:30 PM.
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #49
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
K20D was $1200 when it was introduced Do you really believe Hoya will price K-7 like K20D? Especially taking into mind that yen is stronger now and Hoya's policy is much higher prices, they stated a few times that Pentax is selling their cameras too cheap. They are steadily increasing lens prices, the same should happen to bodies.

So, maybe $1200 for K-7 for Christmas.
I believe they should price the K-7 like the K20D at intro. It's targeted at the same market as the K20D and thus should be priced similarly. Of course they're welcome to price it any way they like and I'm not privy to their pricing strategy meetings, but $1500+ is asking for trouble regardless of exchange rates, etc. If the idea is to solidify their own user base maybe. But if they care about increasing market share at all they'd be crazy to price it that high. Justified considering other offerings? Perhaps. But not wise I would think.

Then again your post made me doubt my original position. The only comparable camera all-around is the Nikon D300, which sells for $1800. Who knows. Pentax might look at that as their competition and figure they've set a reasonable price in comparison at $1500. I sure hope not.

05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 818
If it's $1200-1300 I will most likely pre-order it. Any higher and I'll wait until the end of summer or so when the price has gone down a bit.
05-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
I believe they should price the K-7 like the K20D at intro. It's targeted at the same market as the K20D and thus should be priced similarly.
They are marketing K-7 as a higher level camera than K20D. Replacement of K20D is coming at the end of year.

BTW, some people having very close relations to Pentax in UK are worried that on introduction K-7 will be priced higher than currently Nikon D300 is sold now...
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #52
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
I want the money to order it NOW!

I don't care how much it costs.
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #53
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
They are marketing K-7 as a higher level camera than K20D. Replacement of K20D is coming at the end of year.

BTW, some people having very close relations to Pentax in UK are worried that on introduction K-7 will be priced higher than currently Nikon D300 is sold now...
Wow, let's hope not. $1500 is looking a lot more reasonable now that you say that

05-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #54
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
If it's $1200-1300 I will most likely pre-order it. Any higher and I'll wait until the end of summer or so when the price has gone down a bit.
Ditto.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
They are marketing K-7 as a higher level camera than K20D. Replacement of K20D is coming at the end of year.
Yeah, but the K20D couldn't sustain the price they wanted to set for it. If they price the K-7 too high, it won't either. No one wins that way.
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #55
Veteran Member
GLXLR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 686
I truly believe the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D300 are very well matched and in some respects the Pentax trumps the D300 (excluding the 51 autofocus pts)
05-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I truly believe the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D300 are very well matched and in some respects the Pentax trumps the D300 (excluding the 51 autofocus pts)
the problem is, will review sites call the K-7 "2 years behind?"
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #57
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
the problem is, will review sites call the K-7 "2 years behind?"
Probably. And disregarding video for a second they'd be right if it goes up against the D300. All the more reason to price it down to, say, Canon 50D range so it goes up against more reasonable competition.

Strong and credible rumors that D300 is due for an overhaul, and don't think that the K-7 would look quite as good next to the D300 successor.
05-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
If it's $1200-1300 I will most likely pre-order it. Any higher and I'll wait until the end of summer or so when the price has gone down a bit.
I am sure it will be in that range so get you money ready.
05-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
....By the way, I would be more than happy if I would be wrong and you're right
K-7 price in Australia will be available end of this week. And you will be happy to see you are wrong.
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #60
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
K-7 price in Australia will be available end of this week. And you will be happy to see you are wrong.
In that case I would be forced to buy K-7 before leaving Australia and get 10% discount from your government (TRS) Not good news for my wallet.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D/K7D Intervelometer MJB DIGITAL Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 07-29-2009 11:47 PM
Quick question: why K7D not K3D? Ivan Glisin Pentax News and Rumors 35 05-04-2009 08:12 AM
You know what I love most about the K7D.... Buddha Jones Pentax News and Rumors 36 05-01-2009 02:02 AM
K7D on May 21th! vitalsax Pentax News and Rumors 90 04-26-2009 07:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top