Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Remember the recent "changed strategy"? Maybe this is why...

Got to my photo dealer today.

I tld him about the K-7 which he wasn't aware of (so all dealers are not in the know. I know him well he would told me, cryptic way but he would).

His answer was 'Strange what I saw although it was a wood mockup had K30D written over it'.

Remember that in an interview, a Pentax exec said there was a recent shift/change of concept ?

IMO, the K30D was ready or almost but didn't sport Video which would be bad on a marketing PoV.

IMO they postponed it as to implement Video.
Of course this is pure speculation, but it is into the realm of possible IMO.

Food for thoughts.

04-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope they give us an insight or a brief bit of history about the camera that'd be pretty nice

..And their is another camera yet to come the one thats sits in the middle of the K-M (K-?) K-7 but it won't be around until after the summer probably before christmas. So I guess they had a change of ideas when we saw that video with the pentax rep talking about a recent concept change.
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Of course this is pure speculation, but it is into the realm of possible IMO.
Yes! Thank you Thibs! Speculation is exactly what this forum was lacking!

04-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Yes! Thank you Thibs! Speculation is exactly what this forum was lacking!

For sure

04-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...IMO, the K30D was ready or almost but didn't sport Video which would be bad on a marketing PoV.

IMO they postponed it as to implement Video...
Or... they did implement video and then it was postponed because they remembered just in time it was supposed to be a dSLR and not a video camera.
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got to my photo dealer today.

I tld him about the K-7 which he wasn't aware of (so all dealers are not in the know. I know him well he would told me, cryptic way but he would).

His answer was 'Strange what I saw although it was a wood mockup had K30D written over it'.

Remember that in an interview, a Pentax exec said there was a recent shift/change of concept ?

Food for thoughts.
Maybe the new concept is to use Pau Ferro (Brazillian iron wood).

Rui
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Makes me wonder what the new lens spec is.

Stepless aperture perhaps.
That would be in line with Panasonic's camera GH-1.

I don't understand why people are still griping about having video features in an SLR. My only hope is that they don't under-spec it with 720p.
Since the sensor is still APS-C I'm fairly certain they would add stepless apertures to the new lens line.

Time will tell I guess.

04-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slugger Quote
I don't understand why people are still griping about having video features in an SLR.
Mostly because those of us who don't want it don't want to pay for it. It's exactly the same as how I don't care the K20 isn't FF - if it was, I'd never have been able to afford one.
04-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Mostly because those of us who don't want it don't want to pay for it. It's exactly the same as how I don't care the K20 isn't FF - if it was, I'd never have been able to afford one.
I think the key difference with your analogy is that video doesn't tack on hundreds of dollars more to the MSRP as compared to an FF sensor. And it's really inconceivable for manufacturers to leave out video from here on out since it's another checkbox on the specs list when comparing models. Pentax can get away with not having a FF body still since a lot buyers are oblivious to sensor sizes, but the lack of video mode is something easily noticed by prospective buyers.

Like I said before, we really can't fight it, so might as well deal with it. We're probably seeing the last few DSLRs without video mode. On a tangential thought, medium format DSLRs and Leica digital rangefinders might not ever have a video mode for quite some time, but you pay much more for those than you would a DSLR with video.
04-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
Forum Member

I don't see the comparison. A FF sensor is a massive expense and video functionality is mostly software innovation. As camera sensors get more dense, buses and buffers get bigger. This was a natural progression and I don't think we will pay heavily for it. Even Nikon didn't sell their D90 for more than their usually overpriced cameras.

It seems Pentax has been working on video since the K20D.
04-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

video may reduce cost of new camera!!!

To continue vizners post. adding video may even reduce the price of the new camera as it will without any doubt boost sales., or more precisely, when most other (and that will come) dslr's feature video they won't sell many and therefore have to have higher prices in order to make it more profitable .
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I don't need it either, but I've heard that video on DSLRs is popular among event photographers, such as wedding photogs. Nowadays, I think it would not be competitive to leave it out on a DSLR intended for serious users.
04-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would actually pay more for a DSLR without Video .
Components I neither need nor want are augmenting the risk of system failures or errors.
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Components I neither need nor want are augmenting the risk of system failures or errors.
Video is mainly a software thing I think apart from maybe a faster chip/processor to do it all. And anyway what about live view as on the k20d? video is just a half step up from that..

I'd be more worried about having equipment stolen or accidently dropping it than it going wrong...
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Ah, good point. However, it is not yet known if a dslr which suddenly can't take videos is also incapable of taking pictures... I'd be far more concerned if it had a swivveling lcd that could berak as that would not doubt be a vulnerable point for outside bad influence. same goes for pop up flash...
If it is really something internal it may have no ill effect of your pics...