Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Nubi

I wonder where I first heard about the mini plug ..... :ugh:

04-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's been flying around that tere will be one, in anycase I think they could be on to something as the new 5d MkII has shown

Vincent Laforet : photos : Reverie - Behind The Scenes- powered by SmugMug

Vincent Laforet : photos : Reverie- powered by SmugMug

now the real question is how well will AF work in video mode, if at all? etc etc etc.
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
now the real question is how well will AF work in video mode, if at all? etc etc etc.
Manual focus would be fine with me - af tends to be too fast when shooting video. But I suspect it will be af capable.
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
It seems to make no sense to us photographers, not videographers, because taking pictures and taking video clips are two entirely different processes. But with the optical advantages of DSLR, the entire medium of video may begin to be perceived in ways that we never expected.
It makes sense to me as an amateur who also likes to record a few video clips when travelling. I now usually bring my DV cam, but often it's left in my luggage in the hotel room/apartment because it's too inconvenient to carry around two bags.

I imagine it could also make sense to photo journalists and press photographers, who nowadays (as their material is meant for the web) often may be required to provide short video clips in addition to their pictures.

04-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It makes sense to me as an amateur who also likes to record a few video clips when travelling. I now usually bring my DV cam, but often it's left in my luggage in the hotel room/apartment because it's too inconvenient to carry around two bags.
I second you.
04-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #21
Nubi

I don't even own a video camera
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
With respect to everyone here that would like to see a new DSLR capable of high quality video with stereo sound, I must say that makes no real sense to me such feature, cause there are plenty of very high quality camcorders out there, that can shoot far better video than any "video" capable DSLR.

Yes, I know, such features are like a "me too" have, like stroboscopic flash guns that no one uses but are capable of (like my AF500FTZ and FG540???)....

If I want to shoot video, I would get myself a nice digital camcorder, which in fact, there are some nice ones for under $500 new.

OTOH, If I want something to upload to youtube, then I would get myself a video capable cell phone. Video quality is crap, but since its for youtube, It won't matter if shot with a Bolex on 70 mm film.
1. Show me a camcorder that shoots better video than the 5d mkII.
2. You think you can do it for under $500?
3. You do know YouTube supports HD now, since about half a year ago, right?

I'll eat this all if you find me a camcorder that shoots clean ISO 1600 in 1080p with the DOF control of a nice fast fifty or a 300 f/2.8. Bonus points if its under $5000 (which is ten times what you said was a decent price for a nice camcorder).

04-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

"video is: 1920x1080, recording as quicktime MPG file" anonymous comment on ricehighs blog so who knows if its true but I imagine so
04-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/58671-k-7-mic-input-options.html
04-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #25

With respect to everyone here that would like to see a new DSLR capable of high quality video with stereo sound, I must say that makes no real sense to me such feature, cause there are plenty of very high quality camcorders out there, that can shoot far better video than any "video" capable DSLR.
We don't know how the video function will be implemented. I for one would LOVE my Pentax DSLR to have a HD video option. I can't imagine being able to shoot video with my 1000mm mirror lens (and I probably will never do - my god what a tripod will I need...) or my other unmatchable lenses by any of my HD videocameras (I have 2, plus 3 SD ones).

If we get to adjust shutter speed and aperture when shooting HD video, I'm 100% sold.
Besides, it's kinda hard to ignore the commecial success of the 5DMkII. I know many people that are thrilled by it's video quality, and have bought it just for that.
04-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #26
Forum Member

Even if it had a mini-plug, I doubt I'd use it (and, if I did, just for a crappier, slightly higher quality mic). I'd still have an XLR mic setup and a secondary recording function for audio.

I don't know that this DSLR video is going to be very handy for home video use. For other use that's going to be edited, it's not very hard to sync up a secondary audio source to the recorded audio from the camera to get a dead on match. Just use a test sound. I'd want to use a high quality XLR mic and a secondary audio recorder for this anyway.
04-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

In my line of thinking: if Pentax added a mic jack to the camera, I would not expect the camera to have "just" 720P video. 1080p really is the keyword here and I suspect that they have been helped by Samsung to achieve this. It's a well known fact that Samsung wants to take over a big slice of the market. If they can crush Canon with its 5D MkII (for the video mode) through Pentax then they will do so
04-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProppaT Quote
Even if it had a mini-plug, I doubt I'd use it (and, if I did, just for a crappier, slightly higher quality mic). I'd still have an XLR mic setup and a secondary recording function for audio.

I don't know that this DSLR video is going to be very handy for home video use. For other use that's going to be edited, it's not very hard to sync up a secondary audio source to the recorded audio from the camera to get a dead on match. Just use a test sound. I'd want to use a high quality XLR mic and a secondary audio recorder for this anyway.
I do agree that for bigger productions than your regular home video, it's better to have a totally different audio recorder running alongside the camera. What I'm thinking is that on-the-go videographers (say, video journalists) would probably not have the luxury of toting around a separate audio recorder but will benefit still from an external mic, say, a basic Azden directional mic. I'm not so sure now, but I do believe some prosumer video cameras like the VX2000 (even the PD-150?) had only 3.5mm input plugs, with some opting to add on an XLR box if they wanted to use XLR inputs.
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
1. Show me a camcorder that shoots better video than the 5d mkII.
2. You think you can do it for under $500?
3. You do know YouTube supports HD now, since about half a year ago, right?

I'll eat this all if you find me a camcorder that shoots clean ISO 1600 in 1080p with the DOF control of a nice fast fifty or a 300 f/2.8. Bonus points if its under $5000 (which is ten times what you said was a decent price for a nice camcorder).
I guess this one will do must of your requirments:
HDR-XR100 | HDR-XR100 80GB HD HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

With a lens equivalent to 42 to 492 mm, at f/1.8 - f/2.2 (hard to beat even with $3000 plus glass for any DSLR)

Full 1980 x 1080 hd

Sound? How about 5.1 Dolby Surround.....

Price: Sony Cameras - Handycam HDR-XR100 80GB Hard Drive HD Camcorder - HDRXR100

I guess I missed my expectations by about $100
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #30

I guess this one will do must of your requirments:
HDR-XR100 | HDR-XR100 80GB HD HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

With a lens equivalent to 42 to 492 mm, at f/1.8 - f/2.2 (hard to beat even with $3000 plus glass for any DSLR)

Full 1980 x 1080 hd

Sound? How about 5.1 Dolby Surround.....

Price: Sony Cameras - Handycam HDR-XR100 80GB Hard Drive HD Camcorder - HDRXR100

I guess I missed my expectations by about $100

Then why don't you go buy this and leave us fools alone? (great lens by the way - almost as good as the one in my $60 P&S)

WE WANT ADVANCED VIDEO OPTIONS IN OUR NEXT PENTAX AND IT'S SUCCESSORS!!!