Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #61
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Makes no sense. There are no chips which can process mono but no stereo.
Stereo microphone(singular)makes no sense to me. Need 2 mics to record stereo sound to create a sound field , like one for each ear. 1 mike = mono soundtrack....
Maybe I think to simplistically. Anyways check w Roland M.
If 2 tracks contain the exact same sound, mono soundfield. There is no seperation to triangulate by....
Jack will have only 2 wires, not 3 as does all microphones w one driver.
Maybe it's just semantics........

04-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #62
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Do you really think the camera will somehow be LESS because it includes video?
It's possible. Early autofocus was terrible, for instance, And you *did* lose a lot: like, any future cameras, if you shot Canon or Minolta. Focusing aids, well-damped lenses with enough throw to be really easy to be precise manually with, bigger viewscreens... Took a while before that stuff came of age, and there are still compromises.

There are few free lunches in engineering, and it's quite possible there could be tradeoffs involved... Some complain about Pentax's Live View version so far, but at least they did it without dimming the finder. Which is one of the key tools for using the camera as an SLR.

I'd have been fine if Pentax had put the effort elsewhere than into video, but I consider it unlikely they made any deal-breaking compromises, seemingly having been patient so far. The tech's there. If I come by one of these, the feature might find some use.

The video might hurt the resale value, though, who knows what someone pointed the thing at while leaning on the shutter to shoot video. Seems like a lot of wear and tear potential to me.
04-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #63
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Stereo microphone(singular)makes no sense to me. [...]Jack will have only 2 wires, not 3 as does all microphones w one driver.
The jack may either be a mono or a stereo jack (line in). We don't know. If it is a stereo jack, one could connect either one or two microphones. The cost of a stereo jack wouldn't be higher than a mono jack. Which was my point.

You are right, if a stereo jack, one wouldn't be able to use microphones w one driver (w/o adapter).
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #64
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Stereo microphone(singular)makes no sense to me. Need 2 mics to record stereo sound to create a sound field , like one for each ear. 1 mike = mono soundtrack....
Maybe I think to simplistically. Anyways check w Roland M.
If 2 tracks contain the exact same sound, mono soundfield. There is no seperation to triangulate by....
Jack will have only 2 wires, not 3 as does all microphones w one driver.
Maybe it's just semantics........
Well, some very tiny animals still hear in stereo: it's kind of about the amplitude of sound waves, if I understand correctly. Low sounds tend to be hard to place binaurally, anyway, that's why surround-sound usually has just one big bass speaker hidden away.

I think if you wanted to do serious video with your DSLR, you'd want a real microphone or two to stick on there. I'm still visualizing an articulated and hooded-or-video-camera-like EVF screen you could stick on the hotshoe, put a pair of little mikes off either side. It'd do much to make a still-camera shaped unit more practical for video shooting, I'd think.

04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #65
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, some very tiny animals still hear in stereo: it's kind of about the amplitude of sound waves, if I understand correctly. Low sounds tend to be hard to place binaurally, anyway, that's why surround-sound usually has just one big bass speaker hidden away.

I think if you wanted to do serious video with your DSLR, you'd want a real microphone or two to stick on there. I'm still visualizing an articulated and hooded-or-video-camera-like EVF screen you could stick on the hotshoe, put a pair of little mikes off either side. It'd do much to make a still-camera shaped unit more practical for video shooting, I'd think.
There are those little "camera thingys" that you mount to the viewfinder..
Last I looked they were about $300 US
Zigview LCD Angle Finder For SLR Cameras Digital & Analogue
Actually the prices are crashing a bit

SCV100B ZigView Digital Viewfinder, with 360° Rotating Angled 2.0" TFT Color Display
10m extension:
http://www.zigview.co.uk/lst98.htm
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #66
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote


Is that HDMI I read on the left door? What does it mean?

Rui
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #67
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Is that HDMI I read on the left door? What does it mean?
HDMI, of course.
E.g., K20D has a video out port where you can connect a TV to display LV or play back the images captured on SD card. HDMI is just the current standard for HDTV. And it is digital incl. audio. The K20D port is analog and has an unusably bad quality.
04-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #68
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
HDMI, of course.
E.g., K20D has a video out port where you can connect a TV to display LV or play back the images captured on SD card. HDMI is just the current standard for HDTV. And it is digital incl. audio. The K20D port is analog and has an unusably bad quality.
Maybe they can throw a Karaoke player in there as well..
(last cheap shot at useless video specs)

04-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,859
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's possible. Early autofocus was terrible, for instance,
You know nothing.

From Saturday Night Live circa 1983:

Kannon AE-1. So simple even Stevie Wonder can use it!

Such photographic ignorance cannot go unchallenged.



____

Dyslexics of the world……UNTIE!
05-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #70
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,067
I reckon Venturi summed up this matter perfectly when he said:

QuoteQuote:
To me, still photography and videography are two separate mind sets and require two different sets of tools.
Best regards
Richard
05-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #71
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Volos - Greece
Posts: 178
What about 3-d Stereoscopy then?
05-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #72
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40°-55'-44" N / 73°-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
If this [high quality video & audio] is the direction D-SLRs are going, it won't be long before concert managers catch on, prohibiting them too from the show lest they be used to tape the show in reasonably good quality and distribute on the interwebz. :ugh: It's not like they're going to instruct the security @ the door, "pre K2*D series are allowed in but K7D [or whatever] & on are not allowed for Pentax, for Canon you can let in..., for Nikon... etc." ...you get my drift. It can very well put an end to D-SLRs in a concert, ever.

With that said... I don't want video in a D-SLR w/o stereo audio. And the prospect of using video with a 55mm f/1.2 lens at or near wide open when conditions and 'the story' warrants is enticing, as hard as it may be to focus.
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #73
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Volos - Greece
Posts: 178
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
If this [high quality video & audio] is the direction D-SLRs are going, it won't be long before concert managers catch on, prohibiting them too from the show lest they be used to tape the show in reasonably good quality and distribute on the interwebz. :ugh: It's not like they're going to instruct the security @ the door, "pre K2*D series are allowed in but K7D [or whatever] & on are not allowed for Pentax, for Canon you can let in..., for Nikon... etc." ...you get my drift. It can very well put an end to D-SLRs in a concert, ever.

With that said... I don't want video in a D-SLR w/o stereo audio. And the prospect of using video with a 55mm f/1.2 lens at or near wide open when conditions and 'the story' warrants is enticing, as hard as it may be to focus.

Well, last summer they wouldn't let me in with my K10D (I didn't have my K20D yet) either. I guess they are already aware...
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #74
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40°-55'-44" N / 73°-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
Well, last summer they wouldn't let me in with my K10D (I didn't have my K20D yet) either. I guess they are already aware...
OT, I know. But ya, I know that happens... checking w/Keith Emerson's management (or trying to) as an example to make sure I'll be allowed in w/my K10D in a little over a month.
05-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #75
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,673
Bring it with a DA 40 on the front and a tele in your pocket.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
external microphone!!! What yall think?!?!?! luke0622 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 10-19-2010 09:39 AM
External microphone options MikeH Video and Pentax HDSLRs 0 07-18-2010 12:35 PM
External microphone on K7 RobG Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 04-20-2010 06:18 AM
K-x Video and USB Microphone? benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 03-20-2010 12:56 PM
K-7 Ready to purchase plus Microphone path Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 03-20-2010 03:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top