Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Nubi

Plug-in jack for stereo microphone?

I remember the engineers talking about needing an adequate solution for audio if they were to go with a video function; a mini-plug.

04-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I remember the engineers talking about needing an adequate solution for audio if they were to go with a video function; a mini-plug.
Absolutely - great video with poor audio from a built in mike is no solution at all. I'd be gobsmacked if the new camera comes without an audio jack.
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Nubi

They would have liked a built-in stereo microphone for sure.
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They would have liked a built-in stereo microphone for sure.
complete with wind noise and tinny audio.

04-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Nubi

How about a wireless download function?
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How about a wireless download function?
Or a wireless upload function!
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With respect to everyone here that would like to see a new DSLR capable of high quality video with stereo sound, I must say that makes no real sense to me such feature, cause there are plenty of very high quality camcorders out there, that can shoot far better video than any "video" capable DSLR.

Yes, I know, such features are like a "me too" have, like stroboscopic flash guns that no one uses but are capable of (like my AF500FTZ and FG540???)....

If I want to shoot video, I would get myself a nice digital camcorder, which in fact, there are some nice ones for under $500 new.

OTOH, If I want something to upload to youtube, then I would get myself a video capable cell phone. Video quality is crap, but since its for youtube, It won't matter if shot with a Bolex on 70 mm film.

04-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually does the K20D not already have a PC video port, all they would have to do is add an adaptor for 3.5mm stereo mini and allow audio in and some easy to do internal changes. Even better yet do a regular camcorder 3.5mm in out jack.

As far as Dslr video quality vs camcorder the 5d MKII does a very devent job quality wise, it's the form factor which makes DSLRs very NOT suitable for shooting video. Trust me I would hate to shoot video with a DSLR for an extended time, maybe for quick clips or shoot and scoot stuff where one would normally not have a choice or time. But who knows mounted on a tripod with a remote things could be different.
04-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

04-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
With respect to everyone here that would like to see a new DSLR capable of high quality video with stereo sound, I must say that makes no real sense to me such feature, cause there are plenty of very high quality camcorders out there, that can shoot far better video than any "video" capable DSLR.

Yes, I know, such features are like a "me too" have, like stroboscopic flash guns that no one uses but are capable of (like my AF500FTZ and FG540???)....

If I want to shoot video, I would get myself a nice digital camcorder, which in fact, there are some nice ones for under $500 new.

OTOH, If I want something to upload to youtube, then I would get myself a video capable cell phone. Video quality is crap, but since its for youtube, It won't matter if shot with a Bolex on 70 mm film.
I think the idea is that with interchangeable lenses paired with a bigger sensor, you could get more creative with shots as opposed to the slow-ish lens and smaller sensor you get with a $500 camera.

It would be interesting if some manufacturer can re-wire/re-program their proprietary pins in the flash mount to support audio input, like what consumer videocams have, alongside the usual flash features that they use it for. My bet is that Sony will be the first to do that.
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Nubi

Or a wireless upload function!

That would be very dandy.
04-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
You would be wrong. Those camcorder use 2/3" sensor that is much smaller. The DSLR sensor is able to give a "movie"' feel to the video due to the DOF control. It doesn't make a better video camera but it gives different favor to the footage.

QuoteQuote:

You can't tell a real movie trailer from a home make video if you are on youtube? Give me a break. Let me tell you something, if I turn on the TV, it usually takes me 2 seconds to figure out whether I am watching a TV show or a movie on TV. They give totally different feel.
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
It would be interesting if some manufacturer can re-wire/re-program their proprietary pins in the flash mount to support audio input, like what consumer videocams have, alongside the usual flash features that they use it for. My bet is that Sony will be the first to do that.
Muy guess is that Sony would be the last to do it. They stand the most to lose. Think Sony mp3 player.
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Nubi

I must say that makes no real sense to me such feature

It seems to make no sense to us photographers, not videographers, because taking pictures and taking video clips are two entirely different processes. But with the optical advantages of DSLR, the entire medium of video may begin to be perceived in ways that we never expected.
04-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

it seems several people are saying there will be hdmi and a mic jack, this is making me suspect that the video mode will not be 15 sec clips but full motion until the card is full, no one is saying the format but I am also suspecting it will be 1080P and not 720P video, mostly due to the hdmi jack, if it was 720p they could have used the av jack and done component out from it.

If this is true ( I am suspecting only ) then we can actually have a true bridge camera, remember camcorders doing stills was a fad and now is a must? well I hope Pentax while in video mode lets us still shoot stills as well, if this is the case with an APS-C sensor and dof control they might be on to something, tho I wonder how the low light video would compare to a true camcorder..