Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I think that DA*50-135 is a bit too much of a lens for k10d. An entirely different lens with K20d.
Care to elaborate on that statement?

04-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Care to elaborate on that statement?
Yes, of course.

I actually wondered about this quite a bit.

When I bought my 50-135, I had K10D at the time, and i was fairly happy with the lens' performance, except that I thought the lens was a bit on the soft side. But when I upgraded it to K20D, I was very much impressed with the apparent improvement of my shots. For one thing, on average, every shot was sharper in focus. Since the AF mechanism hasn't changed between K10 and K20, I think I can attribute this to perhaps SR. There are some people in this forum who does not like the SR of K20. In fact, some prefer SR of K10. THis is also a weird one because I tend to agree with this, particularly with certain limited lenses, but not in the case of 50-135. As for 16-50, this is even more of a case, in my opinion....

Another impressive feature I think with K20D and 50-135 together is the color rendition characteristics. I think that then the new CMOS sensor allowed 50-135 to render colors more true to that of natural sunlight. With artificial lighting source it is a bit different. But the short of it is that given the exact same conditions(shutter speed, aperture, subject, etc), 50-135 shoots differently between K10 and K20. Of course, this is just my opinion. I think that when they came out with 50-135, they were already looking ahead with K20, as they should.

Another issue is the noise. The noise reduction in K20 is to me so much improved from K10 that it allows you to use a lens like 50-135 in restricted situation in terms of amount of lighting available. It opened up more possibility in terms of artistic expressions. Once I switched to K20, I didn't use the flash as much as I was once accustomed to. To me it is a different lens.

But to a certain extent you have to expect this. As the body gets better, the lenses will and should perform differently, but not necessarily better. This can be a matter of taste too. A good example is the new DA*55. At 1.4, I think that in certain situation, it is a bit too much a lens for K20D(not all the time, I have to emphasize) because of the limitation with shutter speed. When K7 comes out with the shutter speed down to 1/8000, you guys will be much more impressed with this lens.

Last edited by Nubi; 04-29-2009 at 08:28 PM.
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
Nubi

Oh, this tethering issue, I am going to look into this further....
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
wll, I only did a small survey and didn't come across one of those. I was thinking excactly along the same lines as you do.

I am sure it will only be a matter of time before field monitors of all sizes pop up. Now, that many DSLRs output LV over HDMI...

One caveat though.

There is no big point if LV is only output at 480p and the rear screen already supports 480p (as K-7 with 900k dots mostly does). The 5Dmkii suffers from this restriction. Let's hope that Pentax didn't step into the same trap

If you see such a small monitor, please leave a notice in that other thread outside the rumors section.
This may be cool, will it work ?

wll

Small Battery Operated Handheld Monitor Is Perfect for Security System Installers

04-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I dunno.
May be hard to get the video in. Says "Video Input" but apparently no HDMI.

If so, it may serve as replacement for a missing articulating rear screen. Resolution-wise, I guess the camera's built-in 3" rear screen would be better. Problem is that many portable DVD/TVs have 240p only, some 480p.
04-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #21

Pull out and twist monitor

Hi all,

There are some universal external monitors that you can connect to your view finder on any DSLR. Also, it would be nice if new Pentax camera had, like Nikon D5000, flip out and tilt and twist LCD screen. With LV it would be irreplaceable feature for ground level etc. shooting.

Kamil
http://www.PentaxBody.com
04-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #22
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thinking outside the box ?

Would a small digital picture frame work, could be interesting ?

Would LOVE if Pentax would have a small 3.5 inch battery powered monitor that attached to your hotshoe !!!!!

Darn, I REALLY would like a rotatable LCD, but I guess you can't have everything :-(

wll
05-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #23
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I found what I want !

After looking around I found what will fill my needs (yes, I said needs) ... ZIGVIEW LIVE ! (introduced December 2008)

Yep, that baby will do it, and I'll check to see if it will work with the new Pentax K-7, I think it will.

Like to know if it has a flash mount .. that could be the Cats A#@, but than I could always buy a small flash adapter :-)

As a side note: I could mount it using an elastic strap around my wrist and shoot it that way .... very cool !

It sells for around $329.00 online, you may be able to get it cheaper if you search.

Life is good again :-)

wll

05-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #24

zig view

looks like it is composite only

for $99 you can get a 2.5 inch LCD screen with composite and a 1/4 20 thread for shoe or handle mounting
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
After looking around I found what will fill my needs (yes, I said needs) ... ZIGVIEW LIVE ! (introduced December 2008) [...]
Life is good again :-)
This is a very interesting device. Good find! I only knew them for their optical viewfinder attachments (which connect to the eyecup so I assume, the Live-version can be mounted to the hot shoe or the eye cup).

I am still somewhat concerned (for my own needs) about his:
- It has (only) analog in, supporting the K20D (Samsung GX20, actually ) No HDMI input... May not even work with the K-7.
- The screen is small (2.5", smaller than K-7 rear screen) and probably has a poor resolution, say, even less than 480p?

So, this device is great as articulating screen for image composition, even for a K20D. I know somebody who mounted his K20D to a 10m pole to oversee the crowd at events. There, it would be ideal, esp. with the shutter release

But it may be poor as control monitor for manual focus when creating video content.
05-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
for $99 you can get a 2.5 inch LCD screen with composite and a 1/4 20 thread for shoe or handle mounting
Did you look it up? If so, what is the link?
05-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #27

trying not to bee too much of a salesman

Did you look it up? If so, what is the link?
ikancorp.com: V2500e 2.5" TFT LCD Monitor

this is the same size and resolution screen with a composite input

the only problem with small monitors is the batteries wind up being as big as the monitors are
05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
ikancorp.com: V2500e 2.5" TFT LCD Monitor
Thank You
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thank You
what's w/ the video obsession?
Why not just buy a camcorder (I like the 3-d one)?
Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons
So many multi-tasking tools end up being great at neither task.