Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 Tethering and LCD Questions

One thing that would be nice is good tethering software, will the new Pentax K-7 have that ?

The next is ..... do any of you know if Pentax or ? will have a REMOVABLE LCD ADAPTER so you can get shots at ground level or hard to see angles without twisting yourself like a pretzel. I'm talking about pluging in a mini plug or ?

The new Pentax looks VERY promising to me, and if the rumored specks are close to true, I see myself in for some new equipment :-)

I just received my 50-135 f2.8 last week and will order the 16-50 f2.8 the first week in May. I use my K10D but if the K-7 is far superior and fits my hands better, I could see me selling the K10D and me becoming a two camera K-7 family :-)

wll

04-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Nubi

No tethering, I heard. I asked that too.

No adapter for LCD.

I think that DA*50-135 is a bit too much of a lens for k10d. An entirely different lens with K20d.
04-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
No adapter for LCD.
But the HDMI port would show LV, so this effectively IS an LCD adapter.

Except if HDMI doesn't output LV. But even K20D does it to video out.

Cf. here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/58621-pentax-k-7-d...d-monitor.html
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Nubi

You know, I never thought about that. Nifty, or that I am dumb.

04-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Except if HDMI doesn't output LV. But even K20D does it to video out.

Cf. here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/58621-pentax-k-7-d...d-monitor.html
falconeye,

I just read your older post and that looks VERY promising. What a great thing for outdoor or even studio work when you don't want/need a laptop !

wll
04-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nifty
Yes, as is the Quote button, ins't it?
04-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, as is the Quote button, ins't it?
Very nifty

04-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Falconeye ?

Would you know if anyone makes a small (maybe 5 inch) monitor that uses AA batteries, that would be fantastic.

I would want as light as possible, I would be using it mostly in the field, for architectural, landscapes and items of interest shots. It of course would be of great benefit in the studio, attached to the hot shoe and rotated to ease viewing when you are shooting odd shot angles.

wll
04-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Would you know if anyone makes a small (maybe 5 inch) monitor that uses AA batteries, that would be fantastic.
wll, I only did a small survey and didn't come across one of those. I was thinking excactly along the same lines as you do.

I am sure it will only be a matter of time before field monitors of all sizes pop up. Now, that many DSLRs output LV over HDMI...

One caveat though.

There is no big point if LV is only output at 480p and the rear screen already supports 480p (as K-7 with 900k dots mostly does). The 5Dmkii suffers from this restriction. Let's hope that Pentax didn't step into the same trap

If you see such a small monitor, please leave a notice in that other thread outside the rumors section.
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a portable DVD player with an 8" screen and can run off batteries for about 2 hours
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting ?

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I use a portable DVD player with an 8" screen and can run off batteries for about 2 hours
And you can run that using a DVD player as a off camera monitor ?

I'm VERY, VERY ignorant on video/electronics like this, so please excuse if this is basic knowledge.

wll
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No tethering, I heard. I asked that too.

No adapter for LCD.

I think that DA*50-135 is a bit too much of a lens for k10d. An entirely different lens with K20d.
The K10D has tethering yes it's crap but still its there I can't believe K-7 won't have it.
It's going to be a big deal this camera so even if Pentax don't do it someone will make software for tethering or even just update aperture etc to do it I'm sure

What dvd player do you use for live view? was it expensive?
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
And you can run that using a DVD player as a off camera monitor ?

I'm VERY, VERY ignorant on video/electronics like this, so please excuse if this is basic knowledge.

wll
Yup! You can use your video-out from your camera and plug it into the DVD player. Look for a portable DVD player with a decent screen that has video input

It cost me about $200 USD equivalent.
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
The K10D has tethering yes it's crap but still its there I can't believe K-7 won't have it.
It's going to be a big deal this camera so even if Pentax don't do it someone will make software for tethering or even just update aperture etc to do it I'm sure

What dvd player do you use for live view? was it expensive?
I'm using a Nextbase branded one, it's some brand that comes from Europe but is assembled in China I believe. It cost me about $200 USD equivalent.

If I were to choose between HDMI and better tethering, I'd use HDMI for my shoots. It's instantaneous and is just awesome for Live View. No need to fiddle with software etc.
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

The k10d tethering software is terrible. they should have released an api instead then someone would have made a better software themselves, problem solved.