Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Don't tell me you actually thought I was serious about that
Just making sure nobody runs out to buy one with an adapter and sticks it on their camera.

05-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #137
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of these "pictures" show a green button. I sure hope it's on the back. Removing that would be a huge mistake.
05-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
None of these "pictures" show a green button. I sure hope it's on the back. Removing that would be a huge mistake.
Not if they brought back the linkage.

Anyway, there's this pic:

05-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #139
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Wouldn't that be a dream. Proper metering on Non-A series lenses. But the Green button is also good for the program line as well. I use that a lot more than custom WB.

05-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #140

Photos: Gallery
what does the green button do exactly ?
05-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah-ha, it's black. Plus, it's got dials and buttons and a place to put the lens on. That settles it--I have to have it!

Last edited by dadipentak; 05-12-2009 at 04:37 AM.
05-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #142
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Green button: In manual mode (A,FA, DA etc series lens) you can push the button and it sets the exposure for the program mode and the program line. Program line is the setting you have selected in the camera menus, like MTF (where the camera sets the lens at the best aperture for that lens, which is programmed into the lens by the manufacturer). Then you can fine tune the exposure to your liking from this setting. Very old school but an absolute requirement for a serious shooter in tough lighting and many other situations.

With an M or M42 lens, you can use the button to stop the lens down and take a meter reading. For those that own these lenses, it's an approximate reading and you have to understand (with practice) the way your particular lens will meter on the attached body. In most cases, these lenses meter well wide open but tend to over expose in middle apertures. So you use the green setting recommendations as a starting place to adjust to the correct exposure.

I also use the button to 'reset' the exposure settings in any mode. It's an indispensable feature which I believe is still unique to Pentax (I might be wrong now) or at least was a Pentax idea with DSLR's.

Lots of people shoot auto everything but those that prefer to shoot with more user control will want this feature on any new camera body.

05-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #143
Veteran Member

The Green Button is so important I can't live without it.. For me (newbie) using Manual mode, it get me going fast setting and still offering me full control. One of the thing I love Pentax

Now they move it to a easier reach location! even better
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Green button: In manual mode (A,FA, DA etc series lens) you can push the button and it sets the exposure for the program mode and the program line. Program line is the setting you have selected in the camera menus, like MTF (where the camera sets the lens at the best aperture for that lens, which is programmed into the lens by the manufacturer). Then you can fine tune the exposure to your liking from this setting. Very old school but an absolute requirement for a serious shooter in tough lighting and many other situations.

With an M or M42 lens, you can use the button to stop the lens down and take a meter reading. For those that own these lenses, it's an approximate reading and you have to understand (with practice) the way your particular lens will meter on the attached body. In most cases, these lenses meter well wide open but tend to over expose in middle apertures. So you use the green setting recommendations as a starting place to adjust to the correct exposure.

I also use the button to 'reset' the exposure settings in any mode. It's an indispensable feature which I believe is still unique to Pentax (I might be wrong now) or at least was a Pentax idea with DSLR's.

Lots of people shoot auto everything but those that prefer to shoot with more user control will want this feature on any new camera body.
Also when in HyperProgram (P) mode you can turn the front e-dial to adjust exposure time other than P suggests and it changes to Tv mode. If you turn the rear e-dial it becomes Av mode. Then press Green-button it returns to P mode again.
05-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #145
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Also when in HyperProgram (P) mode you can turn the front e-dial to adjust exposure time other than P suggests and it changes to Tv mode. If you turn the rear e-dial it becomes Av mode. Then press Green-button it returns to P mode again.
Also, if you have set exposure compensation, hold the exposure compensation buttton plus the green button will reset the meter to zero E.C. Also, if you press the ISO button (OK button on K10/20) plus the green button, it sets ISO to auto. A very useful button!
05-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
Also, if you have set exposure compensation, hold the exposure compensation buttton plus the green button will reset the meter to zero E.C. Also, if you press the ISO button (OK button on K10/20) plus the green button, it sets ISO to auto. A very useful button!
Nice addition. It kind of resets to default setting.
05-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Nice addition. It kind of resets to default setting.
Yeah! I use to call it the "panic" button!
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
I learn something today
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I have already speculated it is the 30mm come back as DA 29/1.0 WR. The question is could it be done, and what would it cost ????

A more likely explanation is probably that that is how the K7 behaves without any lens....
It would be a huge lens, and probably $1000+

They would sell exactly 14.
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Camera can handle aperture f/1.0, it is in the system, but there isn't any lens available that handles it. Oh, aperture f/1.0 also indicates an expanded metering range for the exposure system.
I bet they made it to go up to f/64 as well to cover the whole possible range...
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #150
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I bet they made it to go up to f/64 as well to cover the whole possible range...
I have tried to take pictures with f/150++ (something like that - digital pinhole) with my k200d - and it works as I was expected it to work - I mean exposure metering.