Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Yes I've looked at the lineup. Most of the fast stuff is the "old" FA series.
The 16-50 and 50-135 are great! lets have more like this.
There's no excuse for an f4 wide angle prime! Even in the film days the slow wideangles were f3.5. I know we can turn up the ISO but I don't want to spend more time in fron of the computer taking out the noise.
The thing that puts people off taking Pentax seroiusly as a Pro option is the lack of fast lens options. I know they'll cost more but give us a choice.
There's a big hole in the lineup where a fast ( sharp) 12mm prime should be. The 14 is just too soft for the money.

05-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
There's no excuse for an f4 wide angle prime! Even in the film days the slow wideangles were f3.5.
Not quite, there was e.g. the tiny M 20mm f/4 (which corresponds to a 13mm nowadays). I don't think Pentax ever made a really compact 24mm? But my good old Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 was very compact. The corner perfomance at f/2.8 was pretty poor, though, that's visible even at "web size" (shot from the top of the Empire State Building with my LX and the Vivitar):

05-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

There's a big hole in the lineup where a fast ( sharp) 12mm prime should be.
Are you sure that a 12mm sharp at f/2.8 on APS-C (i.e., with 5 micron resolution) is technically feasible, say, below $3000?
05-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #34

Like I said. I know they'll cost more but give us the choice. Or even better, give us the excellent Tokina 11-16 f2.8, made by another Hoya owned brand, for our Hoya owned cameras. Why should Nikon and Canon have all the fun.

05-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Or even better, give us the excellent Tokina 11-16 f2.8, made by another Hoya owned brand, for our Hoya owned cameras. Why should Nikon and Canon have all the fun.
You're right, that is one exceptional lens.
And even sharp at f/2.8 at the center. So, I was wrong.

Hoya should brand it Pentax SMC DA 11-16 F2.8 HSM even in Nikon and Canon mount!