Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Nubi

What Pentax needs now

Well, for the last week or two, the craze has certainly been a bit more than what the company anticipated, I am sure. I wonder if those big-heads up in the Hoya headquarter are scratching their asses in attempt to figure out the next perfect move.

One of two things can happen here; one is that of course this is going to be a big hit of ungodly proportion, or, another is that it fizzles out like MC Hummer because of unmet expectations. Even if they the company instigated this whole hooooopola, I am sure that this is not exactly a comfortable feeling. I for one don't think that the company is home free here.

What Pentax needs is an savvy, eye-popping, and rather shrewd marketing move that rides this wave of pre-announcement craze. They may potentially have a hot cake here. What can they do to maximize the profit so that they can increase the R & D budget on the K20D replacement with a new sensor?

Do you guys think that the company have already set the MRSP in stone? Because of this hype, is it still not too late to increase the MRSP to gauge and squeeze every penny out of dumbass like me who openly says I don't care how much it costs? Or, how about lowering the MRSP to below $1,000? That will set the whole damn thing on fire, perhaps.

Maybe what they need is a rebate of about $100 for all limited lenses, even for DA40. Perhaps $150 rebate for DA*'s. Give away battery grips(just kidding). Maybe K7/grip/DA*35Macro LTD/ring flash for $2,000. How about DA*50-135/K7 with 3 yr warranty for $2,000? How about all K7 with all DA* + limiteds + FA limited lenses + grip + ring flash/flash for 7G?

This is an opportunity of a life time for this company.

Then again, maybe not.

Last edited by Nubi; 04-30-2009 at 09:16 PM.
05-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just have to say that Pentax's decision on whether to use a new sensor for the K20 replacement has to do with available sensors in the marketplace. Pentax does not now and will not in the forseeable future make their own sensors, just as they won't make their own shutters or batteries that go in the cameras. Therefore, their R and D costs go into designing the things that go around that sensor.

If a new sensor or updated old sensor comes, it will be because of Samsung, not because of Pentax.
05-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Historically, marketing buzz can be difficult to control

I don't know how old you are, but in the late 50's, Ford introduced the Edsel to TREMENDOUS marketing buzz. The car failed so dismally that a major marketing failure is now called "an edsel". I hope that Pentax hasn't created an edsel, and not being a marketing wonk, I have no idea on how to cash in on the buzz. But I will say that I am happy about the buzz. All I can say is that Whamo toys changed the name of their "Pluto Platter" to "Frisbee" also in 1957.

NaCl(lets hope the K7 (K-7?) emulates the Frisbee and not the Edsel)H2O
05-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #4

Nubi, you made some good points and would be a good example of marketing101 that Pentax does not understand. Maybe they should implement some of your ideas to increase sales to new users of the brand.

Adding a $100 rebate on a lens in Canada they just uplifted by $600 would be so insulting. That is for me, as I can buy same lenses in the USA for much less. (USA RULES )

I will be interested in the new camera and I have glass that have served me well. Not going to reward Pentax for price gouging on lenses though.

05-01-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What they need to do is leak a few details about the camera and not photos as photos just lead to speculation and then high hopes and then they could crash as it won't be full frame and have this and that and boom not so many people will buy it.

God knows what they plan to do from may 19th until the actual release date in june...

I imagine they'll be lots of previews in magazines and hopefully a lot of people will be sharing there experiences with the cameras like ben, ned, mark etc but we'll see
05-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Adding a $100 rebate on a lens in Canada they just uplifted by $600 would be so insulting. That is for me, as I can buy same lenses in the USA for much less. (USA RULES )
Funny I was saying the same thing about your country until about a month ago...
05-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just have to say that Pentax's decision on whether to use a new sensor for the K20 replacement has to do with available sensors in the marketplace. Pentax does not now and will not in the forseeable future make their own sensors, just as they won't make their own shutters or batteries that go in the cameras. Therefore, their R and D costs go into designing the things that go around that sensor.

If a new sensor or updated old sensor comes, it will be because of Samsung, not because of Pentax.
I would bet my life on Samsung being involved in terms of the sensor development though.... There is a bit of bad blood between P and S at the moment... Actually, it's more like between Hoya and Samsung.

But it will come eventually. It will come.

05-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
There is a bit of bad blood between P and S at the moment... Actually, it's more like between Hoya and Samsung.
Do you know this to be true?
05-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the talk seems to be developing from and in the West.
I might be wrong, but so far, I have yet to see anything to close to the supposed leaks that have been released on here coming from Japan...found no site at least of any worth.

Just on a side note, in Japan, Pentax is advertising heavily in the magazines here.
Several of this month's(May) magazines are carrying back cover ads, with one or two having an inside cover ad.
K-m and K20 and K20 Titanium being the featured models.
K-m is also targeted at the ladies here, especially mum's.

Just thought I'd add that.
05-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
Do you know this to be true?
To what extent I am not in on, but the general consensus is that they are not buddies at the moment. I hear this has something to do with K mount and their NX and things of that nature.
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I would bet my life
This puts your recent claim that you "will shot Pentax until you die" into proportion, I guess

I hear this has something to do with K mount and their NX and things of that nature.
Oh no!

I can only hope that Pentax doesn't insist on royalties for Samsung if makíng a K-mount adapter for their NX. High enough that Samsung wouldn't do one.

THAT WOULD BE SORRY
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Nubi

[QUOTE=falconeye;578896]This puts your recent claim that you "will shot Pentax until you die" into proportion, I guess

Yes, Falconeye,

I noticed that as I was reading through my own post to increase the number of views that I made an error there. It was supposed to be I would "not" bet on it. I also fully deny that it was a Freudian slip. I was going to fix it then but I got busy testing out K7.
05-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

I can only hope that Pentax doesn't insist on royalties for Samsung if makíng a K-mount adapter for their NX. High enough that Samsung wouldn't do one.
The K-Mount is open source, Anyone can use it without paying royalties.
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Including KAF3?
If so, where is http://www.kmount.org/
05-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Ah, the other way around, dude. I hear Samsung wasn't too crazy about the k mount....