Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
... and that in euros with 22% tax. So spare me the whining. And you're welcome to my perfect world any time. I doubt you could afford it though.
Ah, but you earn euros, no? We earn 0.625 Euro (at todays rate)...

More importantly to me, is the tax included in the list price? (not being snippy here, would like to know how Eires' taxes are applied).

I guess we need a "big mac" index for Pentax - or is there one already?

05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
More importantly to me, is the tax included in the list price? (not being snippy here, would like to know how Eires' taxes are applied).
Prices in Germany (and I think, throughout the EU) must include the VAT. This is the law.

Only prices quoted for another business are allowed to be quoted w/o VAT (because businesses end up not paying VAT). This excludes public price lists.
05-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I guess we need a "big mac" index for Pentax - or is there one already?
What is the Big Mac?
I noticed that the DA15 is cheaper in the US while the K2000/K-m is cheaper in Europe.
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ah, but you earn euros, no? We earn 0.625 Euro (at todays rate)...

Actually, I am an artist, and this past year a student. So, no, I earn no euros. I earn nothing, practically speaking. That is my own lookout though!

Yes, prices include tax. When revisiting Canada it's difficult to get used to, especially when dining out. Hmmm... add 15% for tax and 15% tip... 30% on everything. It's still cheaper and much better food than here (given that I was in Toronto... world food capital).

I pay for every visit to the doctor though. Need a prescription refilled? OK, 55 euro doctor fee first. But drugs are cheaper. Sometimes.

But back to lenses. I do hope Pentax gets a better accountant. A couple of the increases were insane. I am glad they clawed one back. But in many cases the pre-rise prices were so amazing. I mean, when has Canada ever had better prices than the USA? Never when I lived there. Canadians get many benefits in other ways.

Wandering post. Sorry.

05-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What is the Big Mac?
I noticed that the DA15 is cheaper in the US while the K2000/K-m is cheaper in Europe.
The "Big Mac Index" is a cost of living index based on the Big Mac.

Big Mac index
05-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

What is the Big Mac?
And that is exactly what I am meaning - the Big Mac index for hamburgers is a good way of levelling what is paid for hamburgers around the planet based on value of currency and affordability. The concept is actually really clever.

As you have indicated, with Pentax gear it seems that it really is up and down.

The accountants can't seem to agree on standard pricing worldwide. Supposedly it is to do with brand positioning and reputation, as well as disposable income (given that the target market is enthusiastic amateurs for the most part).

The issue I have here is the really quick movement upward in price where there is such availability of lower cost gear right across the border. If the oil prices go up and the Canadian dollar soars again, there will be many people who purchase much more cheaply from the USA (same gear, cheaper), thus weakening the position of Pentax Canada.
05-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Actually, I am an artist, and this past year a student. So, no, I earn no euros. I earn nothing, practically speaking. That is my own lookout though!

Yes, prices include tax. When revisiting Canada it's difficult to get used to, especially when dining out. Hmmm... add 15% for tax and 15% tip... 30% on everything. It's still cheaper and much better food than here (given that I was in Toronto... world food capital).

I pay for every visit to the doctor though. Need a prescription refilled? OK, 55 euro doctor fee first. But drugs are cheaper. Sometimes.

But back to lenses. I do hope Pentax gets a better accountant. A couple of the increases were insane. I am glad they clawed one back. But in many cases the pre-rise prices were so amazing. I mean, when has Canada ever had better prices than the USA? Never when I lived there. Canadians get many benefits in other ways.

Wandering post. Sorry.
Good for you! No paycheck not so good, but hopefully for a limited time and with a view to doing something different/interesting/better...

I hear you on doctors visits - they cost back home (NZ)! Canada is great for that.

Yeah, as above, just don't like rapid changes in business models that obviously are about price positioning and not about what is actually getting sold. I'd expect that from Sony, but not so much Hoya.
05-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Good for you! No paycheck not so good, but hopefully for a limited time and with a view to doing something different/interesting/better...
poetry, composition, performance art, photography... all big buck industries -- not!

05-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #39
Inactive Account

poetry, composition, performance art, photography... all big buck industries -- not!
The "art" world is a strange one. You have to be dead to be famous or very abstract to get attention. You could fake your death. If your work starts selling for high prices just have 1 relative wire you the cash to the remote island you are now relaxing on.

Last edited by ajuett; 05-06-2009 at 08:33 AM.
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
The "art" world is a strange one. You have to be dead to be famous or very abstarct to get attention. You could fake your death. If your work starts selling for high prices just have 1 relative wire you the cash to the remote island you are now relaxing on.
That relative may just take the $ for him/herself
05-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #41
Veteran Member

The "art" world is a strange one. You have to be dead to be famous or very abstract to get attention. You could fake your death. If your work starts selling for high prices just have 1 relative wire you the cash to the remote island you are now relaxing on.
It is hard, though, to do any performance art while dead.
05-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The accountants can't seem to agree on standard pricing worldwide.
That's because there are big differences in what people are willing to pay for the same product in different parts of the world. You just have to look at the price of DVDs in Japan vs. Hong Kong to get an idea of how true this is.

A universal price will stifle sales in some areas and leave money on the table in others. So manufacturers have developed distribution and warranty incentives to try to limit cross-selling across different regions. DVD "region codes" are another example of this. But it's getting harder to do in a connected world.
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #43

What is the Big Mac?
The K2000 is cheaper in Europe? What, do they give them away as toys with their Big Mac happy meals?
05-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #44
Pentaxian

It is hard, though, to do any performance art while dead.
Oh, I don't know......Yorrick "springs" to mind.
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #45

Original Poster
No need to do that, I have a contact in the Ministry of Transportation in Nigeria who
already has a plan You may have heard of it, as it sounds like real money maker and I
have forwarded on lots of email addresses to him so he can try help lots of people get rich so they can afford lots of camera gear .

Hope this might work as an alternative

Jack