Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If Samsung released a full frame camera in a week...
I'd buy Samsung's Full Frame 4333.59%
I'd stick with my Pentax Aps-C (maybe buy a K-7) 6147.66%
I'd wait for Pentax to release a Full Frame even if it took 2 years 2418.75%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It all depends on the price, mate. If Samsung releases a FF camera with a K mount at $3,000...I wouldn't buy it, cos I don't have that kind of money to throw at my hobby when the IQ gain is small compared to my K10D. However, if it cost the same as the K-7...now that would be a different story

05-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #17

errrrrr, that news article was published more than a year ago.
05-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Quite frankly, I don't care. My current camera does what I need it to do. What I want is more/better lenses. Most of you need FF just as much as I need a kidney transplant.

(hint: I don't)
Just out of curiosity, what qualifies you to determine what I or anyone else needs in a camera?

EDIT: I have emphasized the statement that I am questioning.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 05-02-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added emphasis...
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd buy it.

It's my exisiting Pentax lenses that I wanna use on FF rather than jumping to another mount.

bazz.

05-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Assuming it would have K mount (which is not sure), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I doubt it.
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #21
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I doubt it.
I meant the K mount part.
05-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Did you bother to read the word "Imagine" and "If"!?
I would not even bother to "imagine" or contemplate the "if" scenario. It ain't going to happen, not after their announcement of their NX system. Samsung hardly has a foothold in the APS-C market, going with FF won't get them anywhere. Their only hope is on NX hybrid before Nikon/Canon decide to join the game.
05-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I would not even bother to "imagine" or contemplate the "if" scenario. It ain't going to happen, not after their announcement of their NX system. Samsung hardly has a foothold in the APS-C market, going with FF won't get them anywhere. Their only hope is on NX hybrid before Nikon/Canon decide to join the game.
Well NO it seems there is definatley a market for a full frame camera in the k mount, people don't seem to mind if it's not made by pentax which surprises me.

The reason they don't have a foothold in the aps-c market is beacasue they just release a rebadged version of a k10d and k20d etc

I know they're busy with the NX and to be honest I don't see that working that well either...

05-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I doubt it.
You are probably right, I was going by the examples of the past where Samsung just rebadged Pentax stuff.

Thinking about it a bit more,if Samsung would not team up with Pentax for their FF, it would not only have to accept my Pentax lenses but it would also have to have Pentax controls which is the only thing I miss on my Canon.... in other words... it would have to be... a Pentax! No chances of that if Samsung doesn't cooperate with Pentax on this camera.

So I am changing my vote to : No!
05-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
If they can be the first to get a sub-$2000 MSRP FF camera in the market, I don't see why they cannot get a good piece of the action and work with that. Of course, getting to that sub-$2000 price point would also mean that they have managed to efficiently make FF sensors and the assumption that it would sell in enough volumes for them to make a profit out of it, something that may be a surer bet if Samsung switches to a Canon or Nikon mount.

Why they went with the NX system is probably because they can leverage their already-existing APS-C sensor manufacturing process and keep milking it until FF takes over the interchangeable-lens market. Besides, it allows for a new mount to be introduced, where the profits are. While a new FF mount would be soured on by camera pundits, a new micro-APS-C mount would get a free pass, especially if paired with adapters to existing mounts.
05-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now, apart from having bigger/brighter viewfinder (and maybe a better noise control) I cannot think of any other major advantages of FF over APS-C format... You may mention that you will be able to use your old lenses at their full coverage circle on a system like that, but maybe the light fall off at the corners, the CA, the resolution and the colour rendition will be so inferior to the current APS-C system lens lineup that wouldn't justify such a system changeover. Not to mention the significant price difference between the current APS-C system and a hypothetical new FF system...

In the future, maybe the evolution of sensor technologies might solve these problems with the old lenses but why should anyone count on such estimation when many of these problems are minimized with the new lens technologies? And after all why should a company invest on a sensor technology research that will solve this problem while it already has the solution on the lenses.

From my point of view, a new FF system will be significantly more expensive. That is for someone that wishes to get full advantage of such a system, meaning that he/she is willing to invest to a new lens lineup that may take even 3 to 5 years until it will meet the current APS-C format lens line coverage... Otherwise, I would consider an FF system rather inferior to the current APS-C one at least as far as it concerns the image quality...

I really wish that pentax will continue producing and evolving the APS-C system no matter what is their FF plans... For me the only thing that doesn’t have the already greatest APS-C system is an ltd 23mm or 25mm lens brighter than f2 and better bodies... A new FF will have inferior lenses (for a considerable long time) and not necessarily better bodies (apart from the view finder thing). It took 5 years to bring us such a great system that covers our needs and I won’t leave it for another new one without a reeeeaaaally good reason.

Obviously I'll stick with APS-C format...
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I voted "yes" on the poll, but it needs a qualifier. It's not the FF than would lure me away from Pentax. It's the working K mount feature. Heck, if I could get a camera that would allow open-aperture metering with all my old Pentax glass, I'd be willing to go to a SMALLER sensor than APS-C.
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If Samsung were to come out with a FF non-K-mount DSLR, they'd be missing out on the potential market of all those pentax users with 35mm glass who want a FF k-mount camera. Granted, that's not a huge customer base, but the FF market isn't huge to begin with, and starting out with some potential users is much easier than starting out with a totally new mount for which no one owns any glass yet.
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
Nubi

[QUOTE=lol101;580735]You are probably right, I was going by the examples of the past where Samsung just rebadged Pentax stuff.

Thinking about it a bit more,if Samsung would not team up with Pentax for their FF, it would not only have to accept my Pentax lenses but it would also have to have Pentax controls which is the only thing I miss on my Canon.... in other words... it would have to be... a Pentax! No chances of that if Samsung doesn't cooperate with Pentax on this camera.

Can you imagine if Samsung came up with a kick ass full frame sensor and then have some manufactures other than Pentax build a body for it? Oh my God. There will be a blood bath!
05-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Nubi;581622]
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Can you imagine if Samsung came up with a kick ass full frame sensor and then have some manufactures other than Pentax build a body for it? Oh my God. There will be a blood bath!
I don't see how there would be a blood bath, but such an event would certainly hurt Pentax a whole lot, unless Pentax manages to find another FF sensor to use.

Oh, and it also depends on how much that body with the Samsung FF innards would cost and if it had in-body stablilization, at least for me.