Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Richard Starkey has officially asked everyone to please not call him Ringo any more. He has put that to bed.
Is this for real? Then why did he tour as "Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band"?

Damn, I miss George (and John too).

Rob

05-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why was George Harrison holding a Pentax? Surely, by that point in their careers, the Beatles could have afforded any camera they wanted...Nikon, Canon, or even Leica. So, when money is no object, why would a person choose a Pentax? What qualities did those cameras possess that transcended price?
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Why was George Harrison holding a Pentax? Surely, by that point in their careers, the Beatles could have afforded any camera they wanted...Nikon, Canon, or even Leica. So, when money is no object, why would a person choose a Pentax? What qualities did those cameras possess that transcended price?
In those days things were quite different: Pentax was a great player [Canon was Nikon glass manufacturer and Nikon a Leica copycat]: then i think it was the first model with combined light meter, so the "easy one to use"
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #109
Forum Member

I think that he refer, if will be 1.3x, to sensor crop factor selector and for "soul" of a camera he mean the shutter.

05-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zorroz Quote
I think that he refer, if will be 1.3x, to sensor crop factor selector and for "soul" of a camera he mean the shutter.
You need to give up the dream of APS-H sensor. I did. It only hurts for a little while.

As for the shutter...

Pentax is going to bring back the mechanical cloth horizontal shutter?

Woot! 1/60 flash sync!
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Back in the day the picture was taken, Pentax had as good or better reputation than any of the cameras you listed. I know it is difficult to image, but the time was when Pentax was a prestige brand and not something closer to an "also ran".

Steve

(Waiting for the flames to fall for those last two words...)
05-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

As for the shutter...

Pentax is going to bring back the mechanical cloth horizontal shutter?

Woot! 1/60 flash sync!
Ohhh, but they sound so nice!

Steve

05-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Back in the day the picture was taken, Pentax had as good or better reputation than any of the cameras you listed.
Better than Leica? Uh...no...Pentax was never considered quite that good. A better BUY, yes...but a better camera? No.
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better than Leica? Uh...no...Pentax was never considered quite that good. A better BUY, yes...but a better camera? No.
Er, a rangefinder is a different beast, no? And one that has never really appealed to me. May as well start comparing to box cameras. Or full frame.

Oh hold on. Wait.
05-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #115
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, I will concede the Leica...

Steve
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #116
Veteran Member

My 2c worth...

He is just implying that "they don't make em like they used too". That the K7 will be fine crafted and tough. It will be break from the theme that DSLR bodies are just computers that need to be replaced every 2nd year. Maybe the you'll be able to keep the K7 for as long as you like and it will continue to work. After all if the sweet spot of APS-C is the 12-14mp range then the mp race may be over.

Buy the k7 and keep it for 5years..... in the mean time buy pentax LTD glass at the new prices

mike
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #117
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
My 2c worth...

He is just implying that "they don't make em like they used too". That the K7 will be fine crafted and tough. It will be break from the theme that DSLR bodies are just computers that need to be replaced every 2nd year. Maybe the you'll be able to keep the K7 for as long as you like and it will continue to work. After all if the sweet spot of APS-C is the 12-14mp range then the mp race may be over.

Buy the k7 and keep it for 5years..... in the mean time buy pentax LTD glass at the new prices

mike
What say they make a body that is modular and upgradeable? Now that I would really like!

Steve
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What say they make a body that is modular and upgradeable? Now that I would really like!

Steve
And open source firmware, now THAT would be awesome.
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
In those days things were quite different: Pentax was a great player [Canon was Nikon glass manufacturer and Nikon a Leica copycat]: then i think it was the first model with combined light meter, so the "easy one to use"

Actually, that stuff you refer to was a bit earlier. Canon was actually kind of screwing around with 'gimmicks' as regarded SLRs till the FT came out in the mid-60s.... but they had TTL metering in play before the Beatles broke up: don't know when the Nikon F came out, but you could have the same on a Nikkormat around then as well. Pentax was actually a pretty premium player back then, but Canon and Nikon weren't exactly grunting and banging rocks together, either.

As a wild guess, if I were me back then, I'd probably be a rangefinder holdout. Even if Pentax was a perfectly viable choice for famous young hipsters.
05-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #120
Veteran Member

It seems like Ned reads forums like this... Here is his response:

"I can see from a few posts on various forums that some folks literally took my words to mean that I'm referring to specific features in a future camera, which could not be further from the point of this post. Guess the tendency on forums to immediately react to someone's words is similar to firing off a few shots before you've taken off the lens cap. I was not suggesting that we're bringing back features in that 1964 Pentax that George is holding. That would be like BMW using the same exact engine from the original Mini Cooper in their re-incarnation. What I'm really thinking about is the idea that certain products have a synergy where the different features and functions cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. Simply defined, it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

So, the new K7 and coming products is intended to have more "personality" than previous Pentax DSLR's. To be more different than others. A combination of design, features and materials in use. He does mention iPod further down in his post, perhaps the new K7 will have a one dial click touch sensitive menu system in the LCD.
Oh, and of course direct access to pImage. Now, pImage is Pentax new online imaging store where you can easily upload your images and also purchase new image effects to further enhance your camera. Pentax will soon ship the Pentax Software Development Kit to the new pImage stores and pImage viewer/player/sync-software.