Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's something with the K7 meter or prism or both.....

Teaser from Ned Bunnell; a picture of George Harrison fondling a Pentax SV with the optional meter placed on top of the prism. This is what Bunnell says:

"While it's not obvious at the present time, you might want to refer back to this photo for a particularly small detail after certain announcements are made in the near future. Call me what you will, but if this is considered a "tease", it's actually part of some thought I've had recently trying to determine if it's possible for high technology products to have an innate personality. In other words, I'm talking about the "soul of a camera" and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool? Happy postulating and if you have a well thought out view on this, I'd enjoy reading your reaction and comment to this notion. Cheers!"

I refuse to belive the soul of the camera is defined by the strap lugs. Not much of a teaser then!
So what is it? The prism? The meter? or both?...

Link: http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/

05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the position of the dial Harrison is turning I'd say Ned is referring to Movie Mode
05-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From the position of the dial Harrison is turning I'd say Ned is referring to Movie Mode
Why's that?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if that's what Ned means by "I'm talking about the 'soul of a camera' and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool?"
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Why's that?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if that's what Ned means by "I'm talking about the 'soul of a camera' and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool?"
Actually, you're right to ask the question. I read the OP's post too quickly and thought he was referring to the meter/prism as the link to / object of Ned's post.

I had intended to contemplate whether a camera can have a uniqueness that sets it apart from the commonplace, if competent, tool - and then add a second reply.

I imagine a camera can inspire a photographer to believe it is special. I imagine there is something in some cameras that goes beyond just features and abilities - the camera just feels right - from the start - and the photographer intuitively understands it.

Many photographers have a relationship, unique to themselves, with one brand or model or another of camera, but few cameras universally inspire admiration and evoke this special feeling.

For me Pentax cameras have become familiar and comfortable, but that isn't quite deep enough, I imagine, to reflect Ned's question.

But in my hands a K2 has a soul. A KX is a wonderful tool; an MESuper is a delight; a clean F1 is a thrill to use.

But there is something about the experience of using a K2 - maybe the sound of the shutter, maybe CHOICE of match-needle or AE, maybe mine has split-image - I don't know - that is special and magical.

Will the K-7 really have the mystique of a Limited lens - do you remember the buzz about the 43 - or is Ned's blog part of the viral marketing campaign? I certainly hope it is the former.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-03-2009 at 06:06 AM.
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I could be the video mode I guess, but then the teaser is pretty silly, as I can't fathom a DSLR's success as a tool to be defined by its video capabilities.

I for one will be very dissapointed with a DSLR whose "Innate personality" is defined by it's videocapabilities (or strap lugs!)

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 05-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

maybe the key to this photo is the emergency procedure sign in the background.

Do you think Pentax is trying to stay afloat? Can we spin this into yet another Pentax is doomed thread?

I joke.
05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was actually hoping for something substantial. Histograms in the finder perhaps? That have some similarities with the Pentax SV finder/prism attachment...sort of... ...at least conceptually..somewhat

05-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So the little circular unit next to the right of the shutter release on the K7 is neither a white balance sensor nor a AF assist light. It's a light meter. Pentax has scrapped TTL metering to a previous purer form. snert
I have no idea what Ned's thinking.

While it's [something in the photo] not obvious at the present time, you might want to refer back to this photo for a particularly small detail after certain announcements are made in the near future.

Call me what you will [Ned?], but if this [post?] is considered a "tease", it's actually part of some thought I've had recently trying to determine if it's possible for high technology products to have an innate personality [I know everyone had their own special dance and magic words while blowing into Nintendo carts to make them work].

In other words, I'm talking about the "soul of a camera" [what makes a camera?] and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool [is the tool the camera or a part of the camera – or is the tool my brain?]? Happy postulating and if you have a well thought out view on this, I'd enjoy reading your reaction and comment to this notion.

I think this how Pentax gets themselves in trouble. I don't want a relationship with my camera. I want one whose basic functions are implemented extremely well. Focus, metering, and response. The reputation, user loyalty, and affinity for something done extremely well follows.
05-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes, I could be the video mode I guess, but then the teaser is pretty silly, as I can't fathom a DSLR's success as a tool to be defined by its video capabilities.

I for one will be very dissapointed with a DSLR whose "Innate personality" is defined by it's videocapabilities (or strap lugs!)

The only thing I see is the strap lugs, that is common with that camera and not in common with any other Pentax DSLR's.....
05-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NED: "In other words, I'm talking about the "soul of a camera" and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool?"

I guess it could be that it is made out of metal. The Pentax SV (or is it an SL?) is. The metal of a metal camera can certainly be "felt and appreciated" by the photographer...
05-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Its the hair.

Sadly it means to use all the new function of the K-7's "soul" we will have to cut our hair to look like the fab four.

(oh well, goes to get scissors).
05-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess it could be that it is made out of metal. The Pentax SV (or is it an SL?) is. The metal of a metal camera can certainly be "felt and appreciated" by the photographer...

whoaaa...I think you got it, and that feeling is definitely something that can be felt......and now that you mention it, that and the compactness is what is so great about holding those old SLR's.....bravo!
05-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can't help wondering if we're missing something. With all of the unofficial leaked specs and pics, there have still been a few subtle, yet cryptic, messages from some about something "special" or "surprising" that we are yet to hear about. I can't even begin to guess, but it sounds like there will be something unconventional enough to evade our best guesses based on what we know about cameras.

On a side note (completely unrelated), why has nobody speculated about GPS in the new camera body? It was all the rage a few months ago. Just curious.

Todd
05-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
the strap lugs
+1

It must be an industry's first that a company's boos invites the rumor mill to speculate about bits he throws towards the rumorista (us ).

He must have exchanged stock options for internet rumor game fun tickets.
05-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
On a side note (completely unrelated), why has nobody speculated about GPS in the new camera body?
Maybe, because it makes no sense to speculate about yet another chip worth 50 cents?