"We turned left at Greenland."

05-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's the strap lugs.

If Ned uses the following phrases to describe the strap lugs, then he is a phony:
"I'm talking about the "soul of a camera" and is this something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer who uses that tool"
05-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I know everyone had their own special dance and magic words while blowing into Nintendo carts to make them work
Ah, memories

Every kid was a Nintendo cartridge expert, and I remember the fights that would break out over it!

"Give me that game, you're not doing it right! You have to turn it at this angle, and cover it with your shirt!"
05-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

"Something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer that uses the tool"

I have a couple of thoughts about this:

- I think the body is metal. That can be felt and appreciated, just like it is on the Limited lenses. I know modern polymers can have better mechanical properties, but there is just something very primal and satisfying about using metal tools. This would also explain the strap lugs.

- What plane are the Beetles in? Look at that window! There have been no jets made with windows that large. I am intrigued. Must be a Stratoliner or something.

05-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
- What plane are the Beetles in? Look at that window! There have been no jets made with windows that large. I am intrigued. Must be a Stratoliner or something.
Hah, I noticed the same thing. Those windows are huge!

More on the topic, is it possible that there's nothing physical about the camera in this picture that Ned is referring to? He talks about the soul of the camera, maybe there's something more personable about the picture he's referring to?
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, you're right to ask the question. I read the OP's post too quickly and thought he was referring to the meter/prism as the link to / object of Ned's post.

I had intended to contemplate whether a camera can have a uniqueness that sets it apart from the commonplace, if competent, tool - and then add a second reply.

I imagine a camera can inspire a photographer to believe it is special. I imagine there is something in some cameras that goes beyond just features and abilities - the camera just feels right - from the start - and the photographer intuitively understands it.

Many photographers have a relationship, unique to themselves, with one brand or model or another of camera, but few cameras universally inspire admiration and evoke this special feeling.

For me Pentax cameras have become familiar and comfortable, but that isn't quite deep enough, I imagine, to reflect Ned's question.

But in my hands a K2 has a soul. A KX is a wonderful tool; an MESuper is a delight; a clean F1 is a thrill to use.

But there is something about the experience of using a K2 - maybe the sound of the shutter, maybe AE - I don't know - that is special and magical.

Will the K-7 really have this mystique or is Ned's blog part of the viral marketing campaign? I certainly hope it is the former.
That's all quite poetic.

Maybe Ned is hinting that The Beatles were played in hi-fi stereo and the movie mode for the K-7 will also be in stereo.
05-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Come now, strap lugs or even metal aren't worth a post about the 'spirit' of a camera.

It's obviously the exotic viewfinder. Our most intimate interface with any camera is the viewfinder. More intimate than the controls even, as it's about our eye first and foremost.

I'm excited to see what they've done with this primary aspect of picture taking. Has anyone recognized the type of VF in that photo?

05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
More on the topic, is it possible that there's nothing physical about the camera in this picture that Ned is referring to? He talks about the soul of the camera, maybe there's something more personable about the picture he's referring to?
He refers to a "particularly small detail" in the photo, so there must be something we can see in the photo. Whatever it is, it must be something that can be "felt". I assume that to mean physically felt as opposed to emotionally felt.
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Something that can be felt and appreciated by the photographer that uses the tool"

I have a couple of thoughts about this:

- I think the body is metal.
I said that in the original RiceHigh posts and agree, it's a metal body.

This camera is coming in at a price higher than the K20D.
05-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Come now, strap lugs or even metal aren't worth a post about the 'spirit' of a camera.

It's obviously the exotic viewfinder. Our most intimate interface with any camera is the viewfinder. More intimate than the controls even, as it's about our eye first and foremost.
Interesting comment. I agree that the viewfinder could be considered the "soul" of an SLR, but what "small detail" could there be in that photo regarding the viewfinder that would relate to the K-7?

My theory is still that the lugs indicate a metal body. That "small detail" (the lugs) are indicative of something much more significant (metal build) which can be "felt and appreciated."

I am enjoying this wait.

BTW, I am not familiar with the camera he is holding. Also, what is that on the front of the viewfinder? A light meter?

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 05-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
05-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting comment. I agree that the viewfinder could be considered the "soul" of an SLR, but what "small detail" could there be in that photo regarding the viewfinder that would relate to the K-7?

My theory is still that the lugs indicate a metal body. That "small detail" (the lugs) are indicative of something much more significant (metal build.)

I am enjoying this wait.
Guys I'm on my crack berry but has anyone thought of looking for a photo that one of the Beetles may have taken on that flight ?

Also that's where the takeup spool was for rewind and I think on that camera the asa settings. Just a thought.
05-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Isn't the VF in that photo one of those LX type viewfinder add-ons? Now I don't think the K-7 has interchangeable VFs like the LX but maybe the clue is about that particular one.
05-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #28
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It must indicate that they are including an MP3 player in the camera, which will be pre-loaded with the entire Beatles catalog.
05-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is Analogue Metering...

It's been all the rage on amplifiers and in high-end audio for many years now, with Ashdown Engineering of England leading the charge with their large analogue VU meters and 'chicken head' knobs - I think that's about to make a comeback, along with buttons, metal switches that go 'click', an all-metal camera that is beautifuly built and made to last, is technologically up to snuff, and is beautiful and insiring to hold and to work with, unless you're Ogl in Siberia, who going to freeze his fingers with the thing. If you look at what Harrison is fiddling with, it's the meter. The list on Rice High's site did say something about 'Direct Controls' in place of the ubiquitous 'function button'.

I'm really looking forward to this camera - it looks like it's a digital MZ-1 at long last. Very cool. This is, finally, the 'jewel' or 'flagship' camera that Pål has been harping on about since 1996 or so. But please, please, oh PLEASE let the focussing system be one from the 21st century; one that works quickly, quietly and reliably in something other than direct sunlight...missing that upgrade would certainly suck.

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 05-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think I know!!!

...the plane they are flying in that has those huge windows. The Vickers Viscount.
Vickers Viscount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is the only passenger airliner that I know of that had windows that HUGE.