Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
He refers to a "particularly small detail" in the photo, so there must be something we can see in the photo. Whatever it is, it must be something that can be "felt". I assume that to mean physically felt as opposed to emotionally felt.
I know! It's the emergency life-vest instructions on the back wall, a clear allusion to the new waterproof lens series!

Or maybe not.

I any case, I notice that one can see a much larger version of this image here.

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/logicrouter/servlet/LogicRouter?PAGE=object...ewimage_object

05-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #32
Nubi

I am sorry but cameras do not souls. It is even very questionable at best that we the human have souls. We give ourselves and our creations just a bit too much credit.
05-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I am sorry but cameras do not souls. It is even very questionable at best that we the human have souls. We give ourselves and our creations just a bit too much credit.
Wow, you must be a blast at parties...

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 05-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
05-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ooooh, oooh, I've got it. It's clear from the large image that Ringo is reading The Star of Life, by Edmond Hamilton.

This is a sci-fi novel about a distant future in which the human race has split into several different species. The K-7 represents one of these future species, but Ned is obviously hinting that there's a whole bunch more new cameras to be announced real soon now.

05-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That's all quite poetic.

Maybe Ned is hinting that The Beatles were played in hi-fi stereo and the movie mode for the K-7 will also be in stereo.
In 1964 the Beatles were playing in mono...yep, mono.

Steve
05-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Excuse my legacy Pentax ignorance but what exactly is that thing on the viewfinder? It sticks out so much from what we consider a traditional camera, it's gotta be what Ned is talking about.
05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Excuse my legacy Pentax ignorance but what exactly is that thing on the viewfinder? It sticks out so much from what we consider a traditional camera, it's gotta be what Ned is talking about.
It is a non-TTL light meter that attached to the top of the camera. You can see the coupling to the shutter speed dial on the left as well as the meter window on the front of the beast.

Steve

05-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What camera does this description sound like?

"The Pentax ? series, however has laid a strong foundation for the Pentax ?, Pentax's first full scale system camera aimed directly at the professional market. Where Pentax believes - a good compromise between compact, ruggedness and functionality can strike a neutral balance and co-exist. "

That is from this site: Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series

Talking about the LX---I truly believe that the K-7 is a digital LX reborn...
05-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

Looking at the picture, perhaps Ned was referring to the nice leather ever-ready case? It would be nice to have a camera case again...

Steve

BTW...the thingy that George is fiddling with is the ASA/DIN reminder dial. It had no actual function except to let the photographer know what film was loaded in the camera. The actual ASA/DIN setting for the meter was somewhere else. Perhaps that is the source of his confusion...which do I set? This one, that one, or both?
05-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #40
Nubi

"The Pentax ? series, however has laid a strong foundation for the Pentax ?, Pentax's first full scale system camera aimed directly at the professional market. Where Pentax believes - a good compromise between compact, ruggedness and functionality can strike a neutral balance and co-exist. "

I don't party. I shoot pentax!
05-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The most distinctive thing to me about the camera in the photo is the "double-decker" shutter speed dial and its connection to the meter atop the viewfinder. Maybe Ned is hinting at a new method of exposure control. According to this page Early History of Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera Pentax introduced the "Pentax Meter" in 1962.

"This is the Japanese solution of the problem - a simple cds-meter mechanically coupled to the speed dial sitting on the prism.. Costs a lot less, and more exact than the outdated selen-meter. This also spoils the nice line - but at least it's removable..."

Last edited by cfraz; 05-02-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added quote
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Maybe off-the-sensor(ish) metering like the LX?
05-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Top view of the meter. Analog indeed - Cameron may be onto something.

05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #44

Perhaps it's the interchangeable view finders that the LX has. Shouldn't we be able to see the cut out lines of the flash in this image?
05-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Two names, maybe this will be a Hoya Pentax, like Asahi Pentax?

The S series came with a 55mm 1.8 lens. Package deal with the 55mm 1.4, hence the pricing?

Two sync ports? It doesn't have an on-board flash?

How about that unidentified mole on the camera, next to the grip? How about it being an external meter for flash?

It a 135 format camera?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 05-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.