Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a non-TTL light meter that attached to the top of the camera. You can see the coupling to the shutter speed dial on the left as well as the meter window on the front of the beast.

Steve
Thank you Steve. Looks like the too small AF lamp we've all seen on the K-7 isn't an AF lamp at all, but some new kind of light meter that will finally free us to take pictures without ever having to fear overexposure?

05-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think people are reading too much into this photo.

All I think Ned is talking about is the "feel" of the camera. The precise, fine clock like, feel of the old Pentax camers.

This is something that has been lost with the plastic cameras that were built through the 80's.

There is also the conection to the photographer that has been lost with the new cameras. Pentax and others. I think alot of people have never used an old Pentax film camera. They have never experianced the smooth click/turn of the metal dials, the joy of the film advance. The way the metal body warms to your hands over time. Or even the smell of the oils, the film and the leather of the eveready case. Its like owning a fine watch, or an antique car.

If this is what Pentax is after with the K-7, this could be more difficult then the simple task of improving the autofocus.

Just my 2 bits.
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Just had a thought...

Could Ned be talking about the light meter? (on top of the SV)

Maybe The "Focus light" or the "White meter balence" thing is neither.

Maybe pentax has added to the exposure system a way to automatically adjust the exposure compensation.

Maybe that thing is a photosensor that determines the relative brightness of the area in front of the camera, and allows the camera to automatically adjust the exposure up or down depending on the scene.

Imagine no longer dialing in +2 comp for snow scenes, or -1 comp for dark scenes?

Maybe the "clue" in the photo is the eye of the light meter?
05-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

just thinking on what he said "soul of the camera". Do you feel it ? or what is the heart and soul of the camera? For Pentax film users, How do you feel Pentax camera when yo hold it and shoots?

05-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Thank you Steve. Looks like the too small AF lamp we've all seen on the K-7 isn't an AF lamp at all, but some new kind of light meter that will finally free us to take pictures without ever having to fear overexposure?
Most of the pictures do not show the large red LED in the handle that blinks when you're on timer. I am thinking that this small LCD is probably taking its place.
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #51
Forum Member

Speaking of small details - take a look at this crop from the larger version of the photo.

On George's lapel you can clearly see some lettering. Spin it 180 degrees and you get...

Yep - definitely HD video. Gotta love a good internet conspiracy.
05-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Most of the pictures do not show the large red LED in the handle that blinks when you're on timer. I am thinking that this small LCD is probably taking its place.
It's further down the grip, check RiceHigh's latest tracing of the press photos.

05-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think people are reading too much into this photo.

All I think Ned is talking about is the "feel" of the camera. The precise, fine clock like, feel of the old Pentax camers.

This is something that has been lost with the plastic cameras that were built through the 80's.

There is also the conection to the photographer that has been lost with the new cameras. Pentax and others. I think alot of people have never used an old Pentax film camera. They have never experianced the smooth click/turn of the metal dials, the joy of the film advance. The way the metal body warms to your hands over time. Or even the smell of the oils, the film and the leather of the eveready case. Its like owning a fine watch, or an antique car.

If this is what Pentax is after with the K-7, this could be more difficult then the simple task of improving the autofocus.

Just my 2 bits.
I would agree with you if only the leaked pictures we've seen of the K-7 weren't pictures of a fairly conventional, modern DSLR camera. It's not quite metal, angular, and/or retro enough to be distinctive on form factor alone.
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Just had a thought...

Could Ned be talking about the light meter? (on top of the SV)

Maybe The "Focus light" or the "White meter balence" thing is neither.

Maybe pentax has added to the exposure system a way to automatically adjust the exposure compensation.

Maybe that thing is a photosensor that determines the relative brightness of the area in front of the camera, and allows the camera to automatically adjust the exposure up or down depending on the scene.

Imagine no longer dialing in +2 comp for snow scenes, or -1 comp for dark scenes?

Maybe the "clue" in the photo is the eye of the light meter?
that's 100% my theory as well.
05-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #55
emr

Ned's been reading Pentaxforums again and has now added a note to the original post:

QuoteQuote:
Note: I can see from a few posts on various forums that some folks literally took my words to mean that I'm referring to specific features in a future camera, which could not be further from the point of this post. Guess the tendency on forums to immediately react to someone's words is similar to firing off a few shots before you've taken off the lens cap. I was not suggesting that we're bringing back features in that 1964 Pentax that George is holding. That would be like BMW using the same exact engine from the original Mini Cooper in their re-incarnation. What I'm really thinking about is the idea that certain products have a synergy where the different features and functions cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. Simply defined, it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

And again, please consider these are thoughts not necessarily related exclusively to our next camera. Any company that designs a new product suffers through many long review meetings trying to decide if their offering will resonate with its customers in a way that the experience and emotional attachment the end user has will be far greater than any one feature. This is what separates the iPod from all the other MP3 players. This is what I'm sure Microsoft is working feverishly to achieve in Windows 7. If anything, I'm simply saying we're as anxious and excited about the next few months as some of you are :-)
I have to say that do not get his point, but perhaps it's just me...

NED BUNNELL
05-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #56
emr

I'm seriously beginning to think that when May 21st comes, no questions will be answered but we'll just find ...

A HATCH! Now where does it lead us to?
05-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...the thingy that George is fiddling with is the ASA/DIN reminder dial. It had no actual function except to let the photographer know what film was loaded in the camera. The actual ASA/DIN setting for the meter was somewhere else. Perhaps that is the source of his confusion...which do I set? This one, that one, or both?
Nice story, but plain wrong unfortunately (at least in this case). The camera Harrison is holding is a Pentax SV (as can be seen from the larger version of this photo) and it features the exposure delay mechanism there. So in fact he was just fiddling around with the delay knob

And I'm sure Ned Bunnell was speaking about the feeling a photographer has when using a real mechanical camera instead of a pile of plastic and electronics. To me this means that the K-7 will be a better built camera than any of its digital predecessors.

By the way: Ringo Starr was the real Pentax lover of the Beatles. He used many of them in all of their years. You can still find numerous photos of Ringo holding a Pentax.

05-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I got it :)

Ok, I think I understood ...

1. A particularly small detail
2. But not on the forthcoming cameras
3. Something you would recognize if you sufferred thru all those review meetings (Ned, next times, live transcripts, please! )
4. Remember the March interview with Kawauchi? From somebody having "suffered" as well? He said:
QuoteQuote:
The lens cap is equipped with a standard screw type, which is embossed the PENTAKKUSUROGO seems to insist that the horizontal logo is locked in at NEJI込N.
[Google translation]

So I think he refers to the precision-engineered lens cap (even if the writing on it is upside down, not horizontally locked) which indeed adds to the overall "sex appeal" of this old Pentax.

(It may me a screwable metal lens cap for the new WR-kit. But I doubt it. It actually only refers to something discussed at length in one of those meetings ...)
05-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Just a sick thought. Do current * lenses have any sealed lens cap?
Because most of the current lens caps I've handled are quite loose and easily let dust in.
Of course ventilation is good for fungus and stuff..but then again when i put the cap on i want my lens to be protected from environment.
It would be nice to have a tight lens cap that can really protect the lens in harsh conditions (withstands some physical abuse and seal the front element).

Anyway i think Ned pretty clearly explained that he's talking about the overall feel and the camera as whole and not hinting on some specific feature.
But for me picking up my k200d already gives me this pleasant familiar feeling. With its solid body lying so perfectly in my arm and then the soft sound of shutter. I cannot say that i feel the same when picking up any other camera.. some feel like ordinary, plastic consumer products others like some bulky unfriendly, soulless frame crunching machinery monsters.

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-03-2009 at 04:43 AM.
05-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
He refers to a "particularly small detail" in the photo, so there must be something we can see in the photo. Whatever it is, it must be something that can be "felt". I assume that to mean physically felt as opposed to emotionally felt.

The more I think about it the more likely it seems. Also in tune with what the Pentax spokeperson stated in an interview awhile back; that this was a camera "you want to take to bed"; giving pride of ownership etc and compared it to the Limited lenses, or more prcisely, the the lens cap of a Limited lens - which is made out of metal. It is about feel, and hopefully, built quality.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 05-03-2009 at 04:49 AM.