Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ned says we are getting this all wrong......:) :)

The addendum that have appeared in Ned's post

....."Note: I can see from a few posts on various forums that some folks literally took my words to mean that I'm referring to specific features in a future camera, which could not be further from the point of this post. Guess the tendency on forums to immediately react to someone's words is similar to firing off a few shots before you've taken off the lens cap. I was not suggesting that we're bringing back features in that 1964 Pentax that George is holding. That would be like BMW using the same exact engine from the original Mini Cooper in their re-incarnation. What I'm really thinking about is the idea that certain products have a synergy where the different features and functions cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. Simply defined, it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

And again, please consider these are thoughts not necessarily related exclusively to our next camera. Any company that designs a new product suffers through many long review meetings trying to decide if their offering will resonate with its customers in a way that the experience and emotional attachment the end user has will be far greater than any one feature. This is what separates the iPod from all the other MP3 players. This is what I'm sure Microsoft is working feverishly to achieve in Windows 7. If anything, I'm simply saying we're as anxious and excited about the next few months as some of you are :-)"

05-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #62

feelings

I used to get groovy feeling just holding my old super program and auto winder even if we were not shooting anything ..... my DL has never given me that feeling .... I used to walk around the house with the super program in my handjust to feel it. i never put a strap on it because i wouldn't let it out of my hands

the same with my sony DSR 500w, it felt right ... I cant get my hands around any of the new cameras the same way. they just feel too manufactured ...

recently i've got to spend time whit some other DSLR's a couple of nikon's and canons. the d90 didn't feel all that great, the various rebels didn't feel right ... the 5DmkII felt right everything in place and proportioned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The more I think about it the more likely it seems. Also in tune with what the Pentax spokeperson stated in an interview awhile back; that this was a camera "you want to take to bed"; giving pride of ownership etc and compared it to the Limited lenses, or more prcisely, the the lens cap of a Limited lens - which is made out of metal. It is about feel, and hopefully, built quality.

Last edited by txsbluesguy; 05-03-2009 at 05:53 AM.
05-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
please, please, oh PLEASE
You obviously meant "Please, Please Me, oh yeah...".

The mysterious talk about "contact" can only mean that they are replacing the shitty plastic rear lens caps with proper screw on caps!
05-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Stickers Quote
Perhaps it's the interchangeable view finders that the LX has. Shouldn't we be able to see the cut out lines of the flash in this image?
I think changeable viewfinders as were used on the LX and pro-level cameras from Nikon and pre-EOS Canon would be a useful feature. But I don't see the cut out lines, either.

05-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by DonDouglas Quote
I think changeable viewfinders as were used on the LX and pro-level cameras from Nikon and pre-EOS Canon would be a useful feature. But I don't see the cut out lines, either.
I don't think it makes much sense anyway. All metering is done before the image reaches the pentaprism and if you need waist level viewing, you just need an articulating live view screen (or an external one).

Chances are as more and more things are getting "digitalised", all mechanical functions like the shutter, the mirror box, the pentaprism viewbox and possibly other stuff (hot-shoe, wired pc-sync) are on their way to become obsolete. Wireless communication with every peripheral and a mirrorless body are the way things will be (Panasonic G-1/GH-1 is just the first generation). And I know most of you will say that nothing looks as goos as a pentaprism view, but eventually evf will catch up.

Anyway, my opinion is that Ned just wanted to keep our anticipation up without revealing anything. Although he refers to a particularly small detail, I hope it has nothing to do with the SV G.H. is holding. I hope he refers to Pentax becoming "hip" again through smart promotion and marketing.
Look at Zeiss. They make money just by putting their name anywhere. From ridiculous camera phone "lenses", to cleaning wipes. And still people consider their name a synonym of quality.

I know Pentax is on the way of presenting a wonderful product, let's hope this time they think of wonderful way to sell it.
05-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Ned says we are getting this all wrong......
....."Note: [...] firing off a few shots before you've taken off the lens cap."
Ned wrote the addendum before my post. So, the lens cap theory is not ruled out.

And actually confirmed ...

Ned could have said that we are jumping to conclusions in many different ways. Still, he choose to say it with a lens cap analogy.

Come on folks, the conundrum is resolved, it is
The lens cap's precision engineering quality
(not the lens cap as such, though)
05-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #67
Veteran Member

hilarious thread!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Wow, you must be a blast at parties...
He's ok, just so long as no-one puts on any soul music.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This is a sci-fi novel about a distant future in which the human race has split into several different species. The K-7 represents one of these future species, but Ned is obviously hinting that there's a whole bunch more new cameras to be announced real soon now.

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
A HATCH! Now where does it lead us to?
It leads to a dude with a gun because the script writers are idiots and the audience are a bunch of suckers who will keep watching anyway. I sure hope that is not how Pentax treats us! In fact, I know it not to be true.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It may me a screwable metal lens cap for the new WR-kit.
A lot of fuss was made on Ned's blog about how the DA15 lens cap (I think) screws on so that the words "PENTAX" are the right side up, unlike in this photo. However, that would not be a camera feature, so it's not what Ned's on about this time. Right Ned?

05-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You obviously meant "Please, Please Me, oh yeah...".
If the camera is made of metal I'll be singing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

If it's too expensive: "You Never Give Me Your Money".

If it's just another camera: "The Fool On The Hill".

If it's got an external light meter: "Your Mother Should Know".

If it's got soul: "The Inner Light".

If it's got features that help me be a better photographer, and not just lots of toys like video: "Revolution".

If it has improved focus confirmation, switchable "catch-in-focus" for AF lenses too, hyperfocal distance calculations in-camera, assignable controls and non-crippled mount: "Got To Get You Into My Life". (These are the features I want as a photographer. Pentax keeps saying they are making a camera that is special, but I don't see the evidence yet. Special does not mean lots of the latest features. Special means a better tool for the job.)

Right now it's "Tomorrow Never Knows", but the message I'm conveying to Pentax here is...

"Don't Let Me Down".
05-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
However, that would not be a camera feature, so it's not what Ned's on about this time. Right Ned?
Ned wrote: "that I'm referring to specific features in a future camera, which could not be further from the point of this post"

So, it is not about a camera feature brought back!

Which pretty much rules out everything else except the "lens cap's precision engineering quality".
05-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Nice story, but plain wrong unfortunately (at least in this case). The camera Harrison is holding is a Pentax SV (as can be seen from the larger version of this photo) and it features the exposure delay mechanism there. So in fact he was just fiddling around with the delay knob
Right you are. The self-timer ring is just outside the film-speed reminder dial. I had have the SV manual, but did not read it carefully enough to see both features.

So! The new camera will have a mechanical self-timer!

Steve
05-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Well, after readying Ned's additional comments, I am no longer expecting any real feature or technology advancement on this new camera.

So, my "Auto exp comp" idea gets dumped in the trash.

It sounds like the K-7 is not going to have really any outstounding new features, but instead, the camera will be a well rounded users camera. "The whole greater then the sum of its parts"

So now I wonder how will Pentax sell this body?

If Pentax is as rare to find in the brick and morter stores as many people say, and Pentax wants people to experiance the "feel" of the camera, how do you sell it? If the spec sheet looks to be subpar compaired to the competition, but the camera is excelent to use, how do you sell that through online distribution?

In my area I expect to be able to test the camera the day after release, but alot of people do not have a Pentax dealer where they live.
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Well, after readying Ned's additional comments, I am no longer expecting any real feature or technology advancement on this new camera.

It sounds like the K-7 is not going to have really any outstounding new features, but instead, the camera will be a well rounded users camera. "The whole greater then the sum of its parts"

So now I wonder how will Pentax sell this body?

If Pentax is as rare to find in the brick and morter stores as many people say, and Pentax wants people to experiance the "feel" of the camera, how do you sell it? If the spec sheet looks to be subpar compaired to the competition, but the camera is excelent to use, how do you sell that through online distribution?

In my area I expect to be able to test the camera the day after release, but alot of people do not have a Pentax dealer where they live.

Good point. I don't expect to ever see the K-7 unless I order it online.
05-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Yess thats a real issue with Pentax. Most people dosnt even know about it, and those who have heard it compare it to other brands as same. Pentax dosnt do much to show how much better it is.
How can one actually know from reviews how good is the SR to have, the solid feel in your hand, superior viewfinders and all the features you think as granted in any DSLR (wich many of them dont have).
Cameras like k20d often get compared to D300, 5D and similar, but look at the price... what do you get in 400d for the same price?
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I'm still puzzled by this idea anyway. Why have an automatic mode with the sole function of telling the other automatic mode "hey, do it right" — why not rather just have the automatic mode get it right in the first place. (That is, better matrix metering — one of the wishlist items that keeps getting kicked around.)
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm still puzzled by this idea anyway. Why have an automatic mode with the sole function of telling the other automatic mode "hey, do it right" — why not rather just have the automatic mode get it right in the first place. (That is, better matrix metering — one of the wishlist items that keeps getting kicked around.)
Here was my line of thinking:

Ned made the comment to notice a detail in the photo. I took this to mean a deatail of the camera GH was holding.

What was unique to both the SV and what I have seen of the K-7? I noticed the added on light meter on top of the SV. The light meter has a small round "eye". I started to think about the focus light on the K-7. What if it was not a focus light but a sensor? I don't think this thing on the K-7 is a white balence meter, or it would have a frosted lens, not a clear cover. What if the "eye" on the K-7 was a non-TTL meter like the meter on the SV?

My next thought was why would they do that? What would a non-TTL meter be doing on a camera that is expected to have a new 77 zone matrix metering system? What could an external light meter do that the internal one could not?

So then I thought about all of the modern cameras I am familiar with. All of them have exposure compensation, and non of them can adjust exposure comp automatically. I thought some on why I use exp comp. Generally I use it when lighting conditions are extreme. Bright snow, or dark backgrounds. I thought on how I know when I need to dial in some exposure comp. I know to use exposure comp by the brightness of the ambiant light. Or in other words, I know I am looking at a dark scene or a bright scene.

Of all the cameras I've used, the light meter can only be trusted to adjust the exposure to 18% on average. Even complex matrix systems do this. So a matrix metered snow scene will still under expose. How could the camera know that the scene was bright?

So I thought what if there was a photosensor that worked independently of the metering system. It could be used along withe the exposure meter to adjust the exposure up or down. Much in the same way I know when to dial in some comp.

In a way I felt all of this fit with Ned's "clues". I felt it fit the idea of old Pentax technology being used to make a new modern camera. It also fit the rumor that the K-7 had some feature that no other camera has. I don't know of any camera that has the ability to adjust exposure depending on the ambiant light of the scene. The closest would be Nikon's colour matrix system, that can "see" that there is allot of say yellow in the photo, and adjust the exposure up to prevent under exposure. So in a way I was thinking that the addition of a seperate external light meter was the way Pentax solved the metering restrictions found in all cameras.

I figured if my TV can tell when the room is dark, why not a camera?

But then I read Ned's addition to his blog. Now I think he is just talking about the tactile sense of using the K-7. I imagine the buttons and switches all have that precise feel that you used to get with the old cameras like the SV.

And that, in far too many words was my thought process.