Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Right now in my neck of the woods:
the 50-135 costs $1800.00
the Tokina version costs $900.00
Can you Canadians please stop quoting prices outside the one thread dedicated for this. You're confusing the entire world

E.g., German prices are more consistent (e.g., best deliverable prices € incl. VAT):

50-135mm 2.8
==========
Pentax SMC Weathersealed: 728.- (+33%) [-> US$ 811 w/o VAT]
Tokina for Canon: 549.- (=100%)
Tokina for Nikon: 499.- (-9%)

05-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #32
Behind-Camera

There is possibility Pentax will implement contrast detection autofocus mode for LV, for faster operating with this AF mode lenses will need additional contacts. But that’s just a guess.
05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

If its just WR, then why would the DA* 30mm be held back, it already had WR. Same for SDM.
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #34

Maybe K-m is going so well that DA line will be split in DA-L for entry level and WR for mid level and high end kit....then limiteds and DA* as upgrade paths.

05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #35

Leaf shutter with X-sync up to 1/1000

QuoteOriginally posted by Slugger Quote
The end of the current DA line is upon us. What will be added to the next gen lens line that would progress the K mount?
Leaf shutter with X-sync up to 1/1000. The benefits when using fill-in flash would be huge: 4 times longer range, much shorter recycle times, much longer battery life. Too bad it's not going to happen...

Prog.
05-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #36
Forum Member

translation:

PENTAX has revised to the plans of standard DA lenses, because it will need to adapt with a new DSLR system that like a K20D's price level. (Mr. Honda did an annotation: so this way wrote, which everybody would understand? Anyway, it does not look like a direct successor from K20D).

It is said that: "In order to play better of the advantages as the new DSLR, that the DA lenses plan must to be changed ".
Mr. Kawauchi said: " Once that new camera appear, which you would instantly know the whole reason. Please waits. "

And so i waits.

They simply will adapt the lens for the new contrast AF system for Live View...like Olympus with any Zuiko.
Nothing alarming.
05-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vinfer Quote
They simply will adapt the lens for the new contrast AF system for Live View...like Olympus with any Zuiko.
Nothing alarming.
I'm not alarmed by anything other than the lack of conversation around it.

Does this require an additional contact on the K mount? Will my DA lenses work/benefit from this? Will there be new lenses that will focus better? A new line of Limited glass that I'm going to get LBA over? I feel like my wallet is going to take a beating.

05-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #38
jeffkpotter

PENTAX has revised to the plans of standard DA lenses, because it will need to adapt with a new DSLR system that like a K20D's price level. (Mr. Honda did an annotation: so this way wrote, which everybody would understand? Anyway, it does not look like a direct successor from K20D).

It is said that: "In order to play better of the advantages as the new DSLR, that the DA lenses plan must to be changed ".
Mr. Kawauchi said: " Once that new camera appear, which you would instantly know the whole reason. Please waits. "
Fascinating! I guess it depends on how you interpret what that means, but it looks like it could mean quite a shake-up of the current status quo.
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Fascinating! I guess it depends on how you interpret what that means, but it looks like it could mean quite a shake-up of the current status quo.
yep, wait till they completely eliminate the mechanical aperture coupler..
05-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
yep, wait till they completely eliminate the mechanical aperture coupler..
I'll never understand why camera companies (and I think this includes all of them, at least the major ones) decided it was better to use an electronically coupled dial on the body to change aperture than to just turn the aperture ring.

I'd prefer the aperture ring any day.
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
I'll never understand why camera companies (and I think this includes all of them, at least the major ones) decided it was better to use an electronically coupled dial on the body to change aperture than to just turn the aperture ring.

Yes, but it's pure economics. look at all the little precise (arguable w/ "current" modern manufacture) mechanical parts they can throw out and replace w/ a motor, sensor and computer hardware...
05-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not alarmed by anything other than the lack of conversation around it.
Conversation is important. /nod
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote

I tend to agree, I also love(d) the apperture ring, but to be able to provide for instance hyper or to do bracketing I think they needed to change. That in itself does not mean they could not support both, but that woud probably be too costly.
05-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Maybe K-m is going so well that DA line will be split in DA-L for entry level and WR for mid level and high end kit....then limiteds and DA* as upgrade paths.
I really don't see Pentax introducing other DA-L lenses other than the usual two kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200). It would be in Pentax's best interests if those entry-level buyers look to the constant f/4 mid-range lenses and onward to the Limiteds and DA*s. Not to say that I won't welcome more DA-L lenses (I'm still impressed by Pentax's cheaper offerings compared to the competition, and cheap is good), but I just don't see it happening.

I do like Olympus' current hierarchy of lenses, though, and I hope it's something Pentax emulates. Basic lenses, mid-range lenses (already with seals on this level), and pro lenses (constant apertures, fast lenses).

Anyway, I'm still stoked and looking forward to cheap sealed lenses with the upcoming announcement, more so than the K-7 itself. Daddy needs cheaper lenses with seals.

Put me down for the two-kit lenses if they release versions of both with seals and they're priced just right (I'm looking at maybe $400-$500 for both).
05-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

New lens line = weather sealed lenses.
Same optics as before (confirmed by Pentax, "no optical change").
So weather sealed versions of existing non-weather sealed lenses, beginning with the 18-55.

Roadmaps - I believe Hoya wants to be even more silent than Pentax used to be. The 60-250-thing became a disaster for Pentax. Better to not tell new lenses in roadmap, when release dates are "tentative" and everything is "subject to change". Better not having roadmaps at all. Roadmaps only leads to dissatisfaction and complaining users. The roadmap was needed when Pentax only had a few lenses and it was important to show that they were coming with new lenses. Now, Pentax has a good selection of lenses and there is no need to show the future anymore since Pentax are still releasing new lenses and will continue to do so. They don't have to tell the market that the lens line is expanding, we already know this...