Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

New Lens Line

The end of the current DA line is upon us. What will be added to the next gen lens line that would progress the K mount?

This is the missing piece to the puzzle I believe.

My speculation is that they will follow Panasonic and have stepless aperture lenses that will smoothly transition between dark to light scenes when panning in a video. I don't think all lenses will have this but they could still build this into the K mount for a video-specific series of lenses. It depends on how serious they are about the video market.

Thats my .02

Has anyone else thought about the new lens line?
All weather seals?
New focus methods?

Edited: This was the translation from the lens conversation with a pentax exec in a recent interview.

レンズに関しては予定がずれ込んだことで消えただけです。企画案から消えてしまったというだけで、いずれ出すという計画には変わりはありません」という点は強調している。その背景はというと、どうやらK20Dと同価格帯の新モデル(と書けばわかるだろうが、どうやら後継機ではないようだ)の登場に合わせ、新ボディの特徴を活かすために“スタンダードのDAレンズ”に仕様変更を加えるためだという。「登場すればすぐにわかってもらえるものなので、まずは楽しみに待っていてください」(川内氏)

translation:

PENTAX has revised to the plans of standard DA lenses, because it will need to adapt with a new DSLR system that like a K20D's price level. (Mr. Honda did an annotation: so this way wrote, which everybody would understand? Anyway, it does not look like a direct successor from K20D).

It is said that: "In order to play better of the advantages as the new DSLR, that the DA lenses plan must to be changed ".
Mr. Kawauchi said: " Once that new camera appear, which you would instantly know the whole reason. Please waits. "

And so i waits.

Last edited by Slugger; 05-03-2009 at 04:34 PM.
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

I don't think Pentax is looking to go whole hog into video just yet. Their main interest (judging from past interviews) seems to be in the outdoors enthusiast market. We've already heard that there will be a new weather resistant kit lens bundled with the K-7, I wouldn't be surprised if WR is the new line. I don't know if they'll go back and upgrade all (or most) of the current lenses to WR or if they'll just start implementing that with all (or most) new lenses, though the DA lenses that disappeared from the roadmap a while back may be because they're getting the new WR treatment.
05-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
I don't think Pentax is looking to go whole hog into video just yet. Their main interest (judging from past interviews) seems to be in the outdoors enthusiast market.
But outdoors enthusiasts would probably love to have a water resistant HD video cam which doesn't add weight to their backpack
05-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Slugger Quote
The end of the current DA line is upon us.
[...]
Has anyone else thought about the new lens line?
There's no actual evidence that the DA line is ending, or that there is a new line coming up. It's all speculation and conjecture.

05-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Their main interest (judging from past interviews) seems to be in the outdoors enthusiast market. .

Thats me!
05-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
There's no actual evidence that the DA line is ending, or that there is a new line coming up. It's all speculation and conjecture.
As is 99% of what is written in the rumours section .. that's why its titled as such.
05-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
As is 99% of what is written in the rumours section .. that's why its titled as such.
What about the "news" part of the title?

Shouldn't this forum be 50% news?

05-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

That would go against human nature, I think.
05-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

Where's the fun in that?

NaCl( I much prefer unfounded wild a$$ed guesses)H2O
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Actually a Pentax spokesman said so at a recent expo after talking up the DA15 (thats on video). This is not speculation. This is reflected in the current roadmap. The end of the current DA lens line is upon us. I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about more.

I'm most likely wrong about video. (contrast detection improved focus system perhaps?) But my original post was intended to generate conversation about the next lens line as it may glean some light on the K7.
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #11

as someone else stated, we cant have screw drive autofocus while taking video with audio
i really wish all lenses were SDM...
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #12

I'd like to see more FAST lenses. Too many f4's in the line up for my liking.
I'd also like to see the Pentax versions, preferably weather sealed, of what have recently been VERY good Tokina lenses, come out first or at least the same time as the NIkon and Canon mount versions.
I'm still waiting for the 11-16 f2.8 almost a year after the CaNikon crowd got theirs.
They're a Hoya company after all!
05-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
I'd like to see more FAST lenses. Too many f4's in the line up for my liking.
I'd also like to see the Pentax versions, preferably weather sealed, of what have recently been VERY good Tokina lenses, come out first or at least the same time as the NIkon and Canon mount versions.
I'm still waiting for the 11-16 f2.8 almost a year after the CaNikon crowd got theirs.
SO true, i wish there was a Pentax version of my Sigma 17-70 2.8
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
Why cannot Hoya drop the name Tokina in favour of Pentax?

So, a few selected Pentax lenses would be offered for Nikon and Canon (what now is Tokina). And the brand name awareness would increase al lot ...

Just assume how all those Nikons and Canons would rave about the Pentax 12-24 for their mount
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not that would be a real killer move . CaNikonians basically walking around, advertising Pentax .