Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you would be amazed by a person with a lot of money and limited intelligence will buy
Yes, but the key word is "average", a.k.a. not a lot of money.

05-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
why every camera in a Pentax ad (except the Km of course) isn't beaded up with water is beyond me. its quite an arresting image to see any expensive piece of electronics covered in water - everyone would stop at that ad by curiosity alone.

...so true!
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #93

With reference to Toyota, Subaru, Honda or even Hyundai, these companies have worked very hard at making sure they have a clearly competitive, high quality product. It seems their products have consistently improved over the years. Not just fluff. Marketing and advertising is very important, but you have to CLEARLY have the product as well. Pentax is working on improving the product line and quality, but are just now catching up to the quality and feature set of the competition within the price segment they have focused on. I think it is very smart not to be a clone, and try to have somewhat unique features such rugged as weather proof bodies and now smaller size but still high image quality.

Do not want to start something controversial here, but I personally think they need to focus on improving the quality of the lens line to another level and use this as one of the selling points. Pentax was known in the past for excellent lenses but most of the line now is good, (other than maybe 31mm which is very top echelon) but is just below Nikon and Canon in quality including SDM technology. Very good, but still not as good. Perfect example is 12-24, very good lens, but Nikon version is still better. Yes, of course it is all about dollars. But I think there is more room for improvement at still reasonable cost. Hopefully the 60-250 will prove to be a leader. Not sure yet. It is a very competitive world out there.

Last edited by Photomy; 05-14-2009 at 08:43 PM.
05-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #94
Inactive Account

you would be amazed by a person with a lot of money and limited intelligence will buy
Aye. There're a lot of more-dollars-than-sense-types I saw shooting gigs back in Brissie, with the 5D and the L 24-70 who looked at me funny when I ask how they liked to meter under the flashing stagelights.

"No, I don't need to worry about that. I have a real camera."

Ah. My mistake. Must be why you've got it stuck on Auto mode. But that's only the second thing they tell you. The first thing they tell you is how much it cost them.

Are there actually any ads out there for the Limited lenses?

How 'bout a slogan? "Limited by name, not by design." Or, "Limited by name - not by possibilities."

Perhaps, "Limited in advertising..."

05-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Check out the average camera forum..... Er.....oops!
05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #96
Site Supporter

@Photomy: My DA* 300 is the best lens I have ever owned or tried. I think you denigrate the general IQ of the Pentax lens lineup too easily.
05-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Aye. There're a lot of more-dollars-than-sense-types I saw shooting gigs back in Brissie
So what? Two reasons to be happy: No brain no pain and the money to make up for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
How 'bout a slogan? "Limited by name, not by design." Or, "Limited by name - not by possibilities."
Or "Limited designation - makes limited sense". I don't understand this designation. If it does not refer to a limited production I think it is downright misleading. And no, the mere fact that they may not sell as many as they sell other things does not justify to refer to a limited production.
05-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting back to the ad. ideas.....

I see a lot of similarities between Porsche and Pentax in their heritage, precision and performance.

One line of thinking would be to highlight the history.
Check this Porsche ad.
YouTube - Porsche Awaken Commercial

Want sexy or funny (not my favorite)
YouTube - Sexy Porsche Commercial

My favorite
YouTube - Porsche commercial

This is neat as well
YouTube - PORSCHE "a company of dreamers" - 911 turbo ad

I think Pentax needs to highlight it's heritage, they have to assume their excellence and the ads should exude confidence.

This along with highlighting the latest advancement with more contemporary ads. would be the ideal way to go.....

Some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mlae6ZhmbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1DIu8b0S0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9n_8vaXBYs

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-17-2009 at 08:12 AM.
05-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by illdefined

"why every camera in a Pentax ad (except the Km of course) isn't beaded up with water is beyond me. its quite an arresting image to see any expensive piece of electronics covered in water - everyone would stop at that ad by curiosity alone"

There was this but it's pretty crap, for a start it would have looked much better on a black background..

I've been doing a project on high speed photography and as I'm hearing the K-7 is much better sealed than the K20D (which is very happy in the shower and under a flowing tap!!!) then I see no reason why they couldn't do something like my shots?
Attached Images

05-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Just came accross this self made k-7 ad video I think it has potential...

YouTube - Pentax K-7 video
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
What's pentax's target audience anyway.

Just the hikers?
I hope not ...... cuz the only thing I hike now is my pants

jack
05-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
"Just hold a Pentax. In the rain."
Ask and ye shall receive:

Cheers,

Jack
05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #103

What's wrong with plastic bags ???????

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
TV ad:

Focus on one mom trying to take a photo of her kid, but the umbrella isn't co-operating, she's got her DSLR in a plastic bag (quick cut to a still photo of the plastic bag obscuring most of the action).

Jack
05-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #104
Veteran Member

I just came across this marketing guy called Jim Real

"In 2008, his BE INTERESTING campaign for PENTAX won the account for RPA. More importantly, the campaign reinvigorated the brand with a fresh new look and voice"

Now why the HELL haven't I ever seen this campain before it seems to have even won awards!

Last edited by dopeytree; 05-30-2009 at 02:10 PM.
06-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #105
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In regards to "BRAND awareness should be their primary goal" in Ben's OP .... how true, how true.

The other week I'm shooting some orange and purple tulips in full bloom in our NYC place's garden, using my 55/1.2 lens. Getting down low on the ground and really looking like a fool to get the right perspective between in & out of focus subjects. As I leave the garden and go back into the building, someone else is leaving at the same time. He asks me what I have and point out the Pentax and Cosina manual focus lens. He says something like "ya, Pentax, that really 'old' camera company. [followed by something like] I haven't seen one of them". He doesn't say it but I can feel the tension and know he was holding back "they're still around?"

Well it's not like you see Pentax billboards or Pentax on many [any?] buses or cabs around this massive and enormously populated and visited city. I'd love to see an ad campaign playing on what I just cited above like:

"Pentax ... Ya, you remember, that one. Still here. You'd almost think we know what we're doing".